Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Namaste Indian takeway in Smithfield closed?

Options
  • 30-08-2016 8:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭

This place is normally buzzing until all hours, but it seems to be closed the past few days. Anyone know what's going on? Renovations? Shut temporarily by the health inspector? I hope they're not closing down - their daily specials are a great value feed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭themandan6611

Ordered out of them for the first time a few weeks ago, below average at best = Spice & Rice on Dorest St much nicer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I had the misfortune to call in a few weeks ago and called the EHO.
    She called out and it appears closed them down. Think it was today she called.
    I saw shutters down and guys outside with rubber gloves.
    You may thank me later!!

She was amazed at how busy they can be and put it down to the online sales as opposed to people actually calling in to order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Best Indian around.

Sure the place looked like a kip from outside, but the food was beautiful (I've traveled from Dublin 13 for a take away).

I'd usually order when I'm working nights (nearby) so I'll be sorry to see it go permanently.

Beautiful food at reasonable costs which is usual for an Indian.

Sounds like a rather tall tale;
    I had the misfortune to call in a few weeks ago and called the EHO.
    She called out and it appears closed them down. Think it was today she called.
    I saw shutters down and guys outside with rubber gloves.
    You may thank me later!!

She was amazed at how busy they can be and put it down to the online sales as opposed to people actually calling in to order.

Best Indian around.

Sure the place looked like a kip from outside, but the food was beautiful (I've traveled from Dublin 13 for a take away).

I'd usually order when I'm working nights (nearby) so I'll be sorry to see it go permanently.

Beautiful food at reasonable costs which is usual for an Indian.

Sounds like a rather tall tale;

Which part am I lying about?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Namaste is awesome, it better not be closed. There's nothing on the FSAI's closure report anyway: https://www.fsai.ie/uploadedFiles/Monitoring_and_Enforcement/Enforcement/Enforcement-Orders-Closure.pdf

(Fade St Social is a rather high profile inclusion on it though...)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Rakish Paddy

Ordered out of them for the first time a few weeks ago, below average at best = Spice & Rice on Dorest St much nicer

I'm half-inclined to agree with you, but the thing with Namaste is that they are wildly inconsistent. Some of the best Indian meals (and I'm not exaggerating) I have ever eaten came from there, but I've also had absolute gick from there that I was unable to eat. If you order the vegetable madras there one evening, and go back a week later and order the same thing, you'll probably end up with two totally different dishes, and they are feckers for giving you the wrong thing entirely (once asked for the mixed veg curry but got what was either the lamb bhuna or lamb karahi).

Spice and Rice do decent curries (I've tried their madras and dansak), but their onion bhajis and veg pakoras etc. are lousy. "Curry and Kebab" on Thomas St., despite their unimpressive and unimaginative name do a pretty decent curry too.

If Namaste is permanently gone though, my business will be going to Madina on Mary St. For my money, they're the best curry place in Dublin that I know of.

Funnily enough, all of the above places are kips to look at - I wouldn't judge a takeaway too harshly for looking run-down if their food is good.

Tatranska, did you end up sick after a feed from Namaste?

I don't mind if the outside is run down. It's when the inside I'd filthy.
    namaste have a kitchen downstairs. I'd hate to see it based on the state of the one in public view.
    The EHO has had them on radar for a while and wasn't surprised at what I said.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

I called in on Monday night and they were all inside but told me they were closed. They were having issues with their gas or ESB supply supposedly. Seems like it just happened. They have a place on the south circular road too which is still open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Hope they are back open soon. Their saag paneer is magical comfort food sent by the gods. And their chili madras. And their chana pilau. (We're the kind of house who hit 2000 points worth of orders on their website frequently & get a tenner off).

Just walked by and had a look.
    They are still cleaning. Must have been filthy if it's taken so long to get clean.
    Won't be eating there again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

Just walked by and had a look.
    They are still cleaning. Must have been filthy if it's taken so long to get clean.
    Won't be eating there again!

Stop slandering. You don't know the facts. This is people's livelihoods you are trying to destroy. Stop putting the boot in. No need, we heard ye the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,847 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Chinasea wrote: »
    Stop slandering. You don't know the facts. This is people's livelihoods you are trying to destroy. Stop putting the boot in. No need, we heard ye the first time.

It's only slander if its untrue, which we've not enough info to confirm or deny here.

What have I said that's untrue?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Nera, on Parnell St has been my go-to Indian delivery place of late. They do a Makhani Daal too - which most don't.

alastair wrote: »
    They do a Makhani Daal too

Barf! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Honestly wouldn't stop me eating from there when they re-open. I'm fully sure my own kitchen wouldn't pass all the rules about storage etc.. Hasn't killed me yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

spurious wrote: »
    Honestly wouldn't stop me eating from there when they re-open. I'm fully sure my own kitchen wouldn't pass all the rules about storage etc.. Hasn't killed me yet.

Just asked my daughter, she's a chef and doing her degree in Culinary Arts.. Its a food storage issue and nothing to do with a dirty premises.

And yes, I'd be closed too.. According to her almost all household kitchens wouldn't meet the same standards required for commercial kitchens.

Dammit I'd murder an Indian right now.. A Vindaloo and a few beers, yummy :pac:

Damn you OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,761 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Would order from here quite a bit when I lived close by. I love my Indian curries and this was easily the best I have tried in Dublin - very close to what I would get at home in Bradford (and we know our curries!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,847 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Care to row back a tad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

It's abosulte nonsense if nobody was getting sick.

You want to see some of the kitchens I ate from in India, Thailand, Laos or even Tokyo and never got sick.

Although I heard the inspectors aren't that bad. The usual busybody on here, proud of themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

RasTa wrote: »

You want to see some of the kitchens I ate from in India, Thailand, Laos or even Tokyo and never got sick.

Although I heard the inspectors aren't that bad. The usual busybody on here, proud of themselves.

Yes lets lower our standards to that of less developed countries and/or wait until people get sick before we take action against restaurants.

I think it's wrong to speculate on why they are closed it could be any number of reasons and if they fix the issues then i wouldn't have any problems going there again.
    I only ordered once off this place when i was living in Smithfield and it wasn't great at all, but someone said they are inconsistent so maybe i got them on a bad night.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Dingle_berry

RasTa wrote: »

You may be happy to take that chance but someone who is immunocompromised or less able to regulate fluids might feel differently. People with those conditions are less likely to live long enough to eat out in Thailand etc

If 1 in every 500 meals made from improperly stored food makes you sick, that's 1 every 2 years at home. Could be once a month for a takeaway.
    Also one meal from a domestic kitchen would affect less than 15/20 people. A bad batch from a takeaway...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Mod Note: Row back the insults on the poster who stated they made the call to the EHO.

fsai site is updated.
    They are open today.
    5 days to sort out "storage" issues!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Polar101

5 days to sort out "storage" issues!

Sounds good, then it wasn't a major issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭mosi

Polar101 wrote: »
    Sounds good, then it wasn't a major issue.

Have you ever watched Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭Augme

Someone's obsession with that takeaway is quite disturbing.

• Advertisement

Augme wrote: »
    Someone's obsession with that takeaway is quite disturbing.

Yeah, I agree. The OP daring to tell us it had closed ... disgraceful behaviour. ;)

I for one am quiet glad that the EHO felt it was in such a state that they needed to close to bring their establishment up to acceptable commercial hygiene standards.
    As no one knows why they were closed, we can only assume the EHO had sufficient grounds for doing so.
    There are many other eateries who get inspected and don't get closed down.

If people are happy with eating in places with the standard of a Thai street stall they can do so.
    Others arent and as was said earlier, while many never got sick, people with weakened immune systems are at serious risk. My family came into this second category.
    If people have a problem with them being closed down , PM me and I'll give them the name and number of the EHO so you can complain to her about having the audacity to do her job.

Advertisement