Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cancelling sky in contract

• 30-08-2016 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

We have been given notice by the landlord that he is renovating the property and our lease will not be renewed from October 31st.

There is 7 months left on our sky contract which we upgraded and signed a new 12 month contract 5 months ago.

We had been in the property for a number of years and didn't see this coming.

Sky are now looking to pay out the remaining of the contract will be about €480.

I am sharing with two housemates, we are to let separate rooms in different houses and wont be able to take sky with us.

Is there anyway around this? Could the landlord be liable for any of this amount as this is totally unforeseen.

Also if worst came to worst and I cancelled the direct debit - and moved away could this affect my credit rating if it is passed to a credit agency. The two housemates don't want to help me pay it so kinda screwed if its in my name.

Thanks everyone.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,413 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Nototrump wrote: »
    Could the landlord be liable for any of this amount as this is totally unforeseen.

No.
    Also if worst came to worst and I cancelled the direct debit - and moved away could this affect my credit rating if it is passed to a credit agency.

Sky cannot report to the ICB. Private credit reference agencies exist, and are mainly used for hire purchase etc. Sky may report to these.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

We have been given notice by the landlord that he is renovating the property and our lease will not be renewed from October 31st.

There is 7 months left on our sky contract which we upgraded and signed a new 12 month contract 5 months ago.

We had been in the property for a number of years and didn't see this coming.

Sky are now looking to pay out the remaining of the contract will be about €480.

I am sharing with two housemates, we are to let separate rooms in different houses and wont be able to take sky with us.

Is there anyway around this? Could the landlord be liable for any of this amount as this is totally unforeseen.

Also if worst came to worst and I cancelled the direct debit - and moved away could this affect my credit rating if it is passed to a credit agency. The two housemates don't want to help me pay it so kinda screwed if its in my name.

Thanks everyone.

Worst case scenario they'll sell your debt and you'll get bit of a hiding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Why not just move the contract to one of your next houses, are 3 of you seriously moving into houses where the occupants are all tied into contracts on tv?

Could parents take it over?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

If you downgraded to the lowest package (original), then cancelled, it would be cheaper, if cancellation was to 100% necessary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

If you are not moving out until October 31st (you said the landlord isn't renewing the contract) then that is 7 months away, so you will have fulfilled the 12mths of your contract with Sky and will be in a position to cancel without penalty. I'm not seeing the problem in this case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,443 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Can you bring it with you to wherever you're moving? They're actually very helpful with that, I did it before and it was seamless.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

hdowney wrote: »
    If you are not moving out until October 31st (you said the landlord isn't renewing the contract) then that is 7 months away, so you will have fulfilled the 12mths of your contract with Sky and will be in a position to cancel without penalty. I'm not seeing the problem in this case.

Look at the date of the original post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

whiterebel wrote: »
    Look at the date of the original post.

My bad. Was on phone so didn't cop!!

Advertisement