Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neutral thoughts on Brian Galvin reffing the All-Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭toxicity234

Only 3 of the last 13 All-Ireland finals have been reffed by Munster men
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/hurling/munster-referees-disenchanted-over-all-ireland-hurling-final-appointments-417436.html
    So Leinster seems to be where it's at.

Johnny Ryan, Fergal Horgan, John Sexton etc. were overlooked, while Gavin is on his 3rd or 4th All-Ireland final.

James Woodlock points out that ""I'd say Kilkenny are happy enough with the referee but Tipperary are apprehensive."
    Out of 11 All-Ireland finals won by Cody, 10 were reffed by Leinster men apparently. Probably a coincidence, but still quite a statistic.
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/former-tipp-star-referee-brian-gavin-cant-take-dictatorship-from-the-sideline-752286.html

John Sexton Messed up a club final and thank god he never got an All ireland.
    Lots of Ref are pull up for every little thing, At least Gavin will let it go.

Did Kilkenny complain when Galway corner back tried to removed a Kilkenny man head and got a yellow card last year.

Munster lads give out about refereeing. When Munster Ref just are not good enough to do the job.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

buck65 wrote: »
    No, this is about Brian Gavin's refereeing in particular and his apparent inability to keep up with and ref games properly. There are examples listed above about games where he struggled. This is a good topic actually.

It's not really. Read any game thread, or post game thread and 90% of the posts are about the ref.

If fans had their way there would be nothing but frees.

On his fitness, fair enough but nobody is going to be fit enough to keep up with the play given how fast and far he ball can travel.

Also I don't remember any such comments about Barry Kelly's fitness even though he has obviously put on a lot of weight in the last year or 2.

The examples listed above are of fans who have gripes not of "games where he struggled".

There hasn't been a single referring performance I can think of where somebody didn't have a complaint.

For my money Gavin is as good a ref as there is out there. He is never going to get every decision right but seems to understand that sometimes it's better to let play go on than whistle every few seconds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Ok that's your opinion, fair enough. There is obviously enough concern about Gavin reffing the final hereabouts that this thread exists.
    I think he is very capable of getting things wrong and letting too much go and was concerned by his lack of reaction to Brian Cody vs Waterford.
    If Barry Kelly was reffing we would be hearing about it from Cody and the Kilkenny fans but Gavin could be seen as the opposite.
    It is no harm to have a discussion about a ref and even refs themselves may have habits or leanings that they are unaware of.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Ok that's your opinion, fair enough. There is obviously enough concern about Gavin reffing the final hereabouts that this thread exists.

My point is that the fact that this thread exists is more of a reflection on the users of this forum and GAA fans in general than it is on the referee.

No matter who was reffing the game somebody would be complaining about it. No matter how well or badly he does on Sunday people will be complaining. Those people will be fans of the team that loses. They will be blaming the ref for the fact that they lost.

For example point me to the last All Ireland final where you think the ref did a good job. I'll point you to several pages of people complaining about his decisions.

OK first off I'm not from either county, and also it is not only GAA people that concentrate on refs, rugby for sure and probably soccer too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

I think Kilkenny foul more to be honest. I understand that won't be popular with ye but it's just what I see.

Don't think he's biased at all though.

Nobody fouls more than De Burca or Gleeson. In fact, if the cats manage to get over the line Sunday, they should invite De Burca along as a special guest for the homecoming, Monday night. No other non Kilkenny man has done as much to get us to the AI.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,257 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

adrian522 wrote: »
    Can't believe the obsession with referees on here and among fans in general, before, during and after games. All utterly convinced that the ref is against them.

Bizarre stuff.

I do understand your point, and generally too many resort to blaming referees when they lose.

However we are discussing it before the match. A man who is so unfit he will always be quite far behind the play has been selected for the biggest game in the hurling calendar.

It may well be the correct decision, but certainly it is worthy of discussion . Most posters are neutral in this thread it seems.

Will let the things that Kilkenny have worked on like the taps on the elbow with the hurley or arm-holding go because Cody doesn't want certain rules in the rulebook to be enforced and knows the likes of Gavin will let them off.

This is something that only a hurling ignoramus could argue. Anybody that thinks an inter county hurling team is 'working' on this kind of thing in the lead up to an All Ireland knows nothing about the sport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

citykat wrote: »
    Nobody fouls more than De Burca or Gleeson. In fact, if the cats manage to get over the line Sunday, they should invite De Burca along as a special guest for the homecoming, Monday night. No other non Kilkenny man has done as much to get us to the AI.

And if I was from Tipp nobody would foul more than Paudie Maher and Cathal Barrett. I know your game at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

John Sexton Messed up a club final and thank god he never got an All ireland.
    Lots of Ref are pull up for every little thing, At least Gavin will let it go.

Did Kilkenny complain when Galway corner back tried to removed a Kilkenny man head and got a yellow card last year.

Munster lads give out about refereeing. When Munster Ref just are not good enough to do the job.

Yes they did complain and I take it you weren't at the semi final replay when a large number of them booed McGrath out of the stadium having won the match. There was no Leinster men supporting Leinster men that day and I'd say your provincial allegiance is a one way street. Particularly when it comes to referees from Westmeath anyway!!

• Advertisement

FFS. Threads are started for the most trivial of reasons, this thread included.

It is no harm to have a discussion about a ref and even refs themselves may have habits or leanings that they are unaware of.

It's absolutely ridiculous to critique somebody's performance prior to the fact. By all means once that performance has been given.

I know your game at this stage.

You certainly do. It's at 3.30 on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Biloxi Blues

citykat wrote: »
    This is something that only a hurling ignoramus could argue. Anybody that thinks an inter county hurling team is 'working' on this kind of thing in the lead up to an All Ireland knows nothing about the sport.

When did I say that Kilkenny only started now on the snakiness that they know Gavin will let them away with - they've been doing it for years! Seems that it's only Kilkenny posters who are in praise of Gavin - funny that. Oh, and less of the personal abuse, please.

When did I say that Kilkenny only started now on the snakiness that they know Gavin will let them away with - they've been doing it for years! Seems that it's only Kilkenny posters who are in praise of Gavin - funny that. Oh, and less of the personal abuse, please.

Calling out ignorance isn't personal. As for 'snakiness' again, more ignorance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,154 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Bad choice imo, far to inconsistent as a ref, i'm all for letting the game flow but you can't be blowing up for something one minute and then the next play away which is what Gavin does constantly, Also if you can't keep up with the pace of the game you shouldn't be ref, you can't be making decisions from miles away.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Thought he was very good today.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭corny

Anyone else think the linesmen got every line ball decision wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,865 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Thought he was very good today.

He was excellent. Will that stop lads whinging about him? Will it ****.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 334 ✭✭skywanderer

I wonder is this the first All-Ireland where no card was shown to either team?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Where is he from? Where does he work? Where does he live? As we have seen in Football a referees place of birth means absolutely nothing.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/martin-breheny-officials-should-not-be-appointed-for-big-games-involving-the-county-where-they-work-35009164.html

We have seen Dublin benefit enormously in recent years from Joe McQuillan a Cavan referee living and working in Dublin who was responsible for them winning the 2011 and 2013 All-Ireland single handedly robbing both Mayo and Kerry in the process. In 2012 his actions were despicable in how he gave Dublin every single opportunity against Mayo in the 2012 Semi-Final but the Mayo team stood solid against 16 man Dublin.

Sundays performance by David Gough was another Hatchet job by the GAA in which saw Kerry completely robbed, David Gough awarded Dublin several dubious scorable frees whilst denying Kerry perfectly legitimate frees.

All the media attention is about the Olympic Council of Ireland but it is the GAA which is corrupt to the core and the GAA have an agenda to keep both Dublin and Kilkenny winning at all costs.

Your last paragraph would suggest you must be on something? What an utterly stupid moronic assertion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,330 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Did not see a wrong decision. No argument from players. They would, smashing game of hurling.
    Sadly one sided. Only their doggedness kept Kilkenny plugging away.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭toxicity234

Though Gavin had an excellent game yesterday.

I though tcrilly52 and Whiplash85 were fast enough to put up Thread having a go.
    It would be nice to see what they thought of his performance yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Salrub

Though Gavin had an excellent game yesterday.

I though tcrilly52 and Whiplash85 were fast enough to put up Thread having a go.

Second this. Really let things flow which made for a excellent free flowing game with some super scores

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

corny wrote: »
    Anyone else think the linesmen got every line ball decision wrong?

Nope, they called it right most times as the replays showed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭HanaleiJ5N

Fair play to Gavin, had a great game, credit also due to both teams there, he let them at it and they didn't abuse the 'freedom' he gave them.

Some had a cut at him over his physical condition, bit of a low blow really, does anyone seriously think anyone would make the panel of inter county referees without having to do fitness tests? If he wasn't meeting the fitness standards required then he wouldn't be there.

He was good yesterday, helped by the players of course. One or two shocking decisions though especially penalising Blanchfield in the 1st half when he was being rugby tackle style held up.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,360 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Yes it would be good to get the opinions from the two lads you mentioned who were very critical before the match.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

Yes it would be good to get the opinions from the two lads you mentioned who were very critical before the match.

I thought Brian Gavin had a fine game but I would say that because we won wouldn't I. But fair is fair. I think Tipp knew his refereeing style and played in accordance with it. He was consistent for both sides with steps, Lying on the ball, Leaving rucks develop. Thought there could have been 2 or 3 yellow cards alright. Thought Blanchfield was unlucky once or twice. But no ref will get everything right. He contributed to a good game.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,330 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Yes, I presume the Refs are studied as much as the Rugby ones now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Martin567

Whiplash85 wrote: »
    I thought Brian Gavin had a fine game but I would say that because we won wouldn't I. But fair is fair. I think Tipp knew his refereeing style and played in accordance with it. He was consistent for both sides with steps, Lying on the ball, Leaving rucks develop. Thought there could have been 2 or 3 yellow cards alright. Thought Blanchfield was unlucky once or twice. But no ref will get everything right. He contributed to a good game.

It doesn't always have to work like that.

I'm from Kilkenny and I agree he had a fine game. But I can think of several awful refereeing performances in games where Kilkenny won. One of the worst ever was by Cathal McAllister in the 2012 semi-final when Kilkenny won by 18 points!

Advertisement