Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neutral thoughts on Brian Galvin reffing the All-Ireland

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Martin567 wrote: »
    It doesn't always have to work like that.

I'm from Kilkenny and I agree he had a fine game. But I can think of several awful refereeing performances in games where Kilkenny won. One of the worst ever was by Cathal McAllister in the 2012 semi-final when Kilkenny won by 18 points!

Sounds like sour grapes a lot of the time when one does feel they have to lambast the referee after their own team winning, albeit Mcallister certainly did let Paudie Maher away with murder that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

I wonder is this the first All-Ireland where no card was shown to either team?

Walter Walsh should've got one for the frontal shoulder. Other than that, I don't recall a yellow card offence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

eigrod wrote: »
    Walter Walsh should've got one for the frontal shoulder. Other than that, I don't recall a yellow card offence.

Somebody (can't remember who) tossed there Hurley towards the end of the game, should have been one given out for that also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Martin567

Sounds like sour grapes a lot of the time when one does feel they have to lambast the referee after their own team winning, albeit Mcallister certainly did let Paudie Maher away with murder that day.

I've heard of people being accused of sour grapes for complaining about a ref after your team has lost. If this is also the case when your team has won, when it is ever ok to comment on a ref???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Martin567 wrote: »

I've heard of people being accused of sour grapes for complaining about a ref after your team has lost. If this is also the case when your team has won

Sweet grapes?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Don't think it's sour grapes to criticise a referee after a win (dunno how it could be after a win). When Dublin easily beat Fermanagh last year, didn't they only get something ridiculous like 3 or 4 frees all game (compared to 5 times that for Fermanagh). And of course Fermanagh's first goal was scored by Quigley bundling Cluxton into the net.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,411 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

kiers47 wrote: »
    Somebody (can't remember who) tossed there Hurley towards the end of the game, should have been one given out for that also.

I think that was Richie Hogan. He was trying to stop the ball from a pass from a team mate. Is that a yellow card offense? (I don't know). Like it wasn't a case of the opposition being in possession and he was trying to stop them from striking ball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

I think that was Richie Hogan. He was trying to stop the ball from a pass from a team mate. Is that a yellow card offense? (I don't know). Like it wasn't a case of the opposition being in possession and he was trying to stop them from striking ball.

By the letter of the law it should be carded alright. But i get what you are saying it would have been harsh.

Advertisement