Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stipend Query

Options
  • 30-08-2016 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi all,

I have a few questions regarding Stipends if any of you bright souls can enlighten me on. I've already read previous threads on this topic but none are specific.

I am contemplating taking a career break from my job to concentrate on a PhD on a full time basis. I will not receive any salary during this career break. There is interest from a private organisation to support me through a "stipend" while I undertake the PhD on a full time basis. My questions are : 1) What are the specifics in relation to receiving a stipend? 2) Who can receive it? 3) Who can give it? 4) Is it taxable? 5) At what point does it become taxable? 6) Is there a minimum/maximum amount that can be received? 7) Is there a minimum/maximum no. of years that a stipend can exist for? 8) What paper work must I or my sponsors fill out? 9) Any other obvious questions I may have omitted? 10) Is there any official documentation out there that explains any of these questions? (I can't find it)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Sklarker

Scholarship Exception Declaration Form

Section 193 Taxes Consolidation Act 1997 provides that income arising from a scholarship is exempt from tax where the following conditions are satisfied:
    (a) the individual in receipt of the scholarship must be in receipt of full-time instruction at an educational establishment;
    (b) the object of the scholarship must be the promotion of the education of the holder rather than the promotion of research through the holder;
    (c) there must be no element of service (directly or indirectly) between the sponsor and the student;
    (d) the award must not arise from office or employment (directly or indirectly) with the sponsor;
    (e) If the scholarship is provided from a trust fund or scheme to persons connected with the sponsor (i.e. an employee, a member of the household of an employee, a director or a member of the household of a director connected directly or indirectly with the sponsor) then not more than 25% of all such payments from the trust fund or scheme can be made to such persons.

Advertisement