Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mods closing interesting threads when a discussion is still going on

Options
  • 30-08-2016 10:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭

This happens a lot on Boards I find, and it is incredibly annoying, and tbh if I wasn't a member, it would put me off signing up.

Dav mentioned a few Months back that sign ups are down, and is it really any wonder when this ****e happens.

For example this thread in Accommodation and Property has 153 posts in the last week, and it was just locked, because the OP didn't reply.

This thread in Bargain Alerts was closed back in July for no reason and with no explanation.

Locking threads is a really annoying issue with boards. For boards to keep on growing this has to stop.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Don't see an issue with the A&P one being closed.
    11 pages with no OP input beyond the first post, and a clear reason from the mod, seems good to me.

As to Bargain alerts, no idea, as you call out it's from July. Did you try PM'ing the mod to ask for it to be reopened at the time or if they could let you know why it was closed?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Taltos wrote: »
    Don't see an issue with the A&P one being closed.
    11 pages with no OP input beyond the first post, and a clear reason from the mod, seems good to me.

...Except for the fact that, as OP here points out, discussion was still ongoing within the thread. What harm is caused by letting it continue?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

...Except for the fact that, as OP here points out, discussion was still ongoing within the thread. What harm is caused by letting it continue?

exactly, nothing to suggest the OP hasn't been reading it even if they haven't replied...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Discussion about grass cutting and ride on lawnmowers! The OP asked for suggestions of location and properties, when they stopped getting them the thread went way off track, and if anything would be off-putting to the OP or anyone looking for similar suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

All gangland threads are closed for no real reason too - you need to wait for someone else to get shot before you can talk about that feud again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I didn't read the whole A&P thread to be honest, but even on the last page there were suggestions still being thrown out. While it really gets my goat that an OP just 'seagulls' a thread (flies in, drops their crap & flies off never to be seen again) - there was still relevant discussion taking place. Rather than shutting it down - my preference would have been to take action against those who may have been dragging it off-topic & let it continue.

As for the BA thread - that went downhill so rapidly it was a goner straight away. Maybe the mod wanted to call a halt to the OT chat & close it, but didn't have time to follow up or forgot to put in a closing note afterwards.

Now that I've said that - I'd also note that the mods are generally appointed because they 'get' their forums. A lot of times instinct will tell them when a thread is just not going to work or has gone on a crash trajectory. They'll act on that instinct, often saving cards/bans from be handed out, members from frustration with crappy posts, & the time & effort it takes the mod team to clean up afterwards. But when a thread is closed - it should be accompanied by a note to say why.

In cases like these it is best to PM the forum mod team & request that the thread be reopened. If a member sees it happening repeatedly in a forum - then drop a PM to a CMod & they'll be happy to look into it for you.

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

This is a whole new level of weird in terms of thread closure reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

Taltos wrote: »
    As to Bargain alerts, no idea, as you call out it's from July. Did you try PM'ing the mod to ask for it to be reopened at the time or if they could let you know why it was closed?

A pm from everyone? Mod would soon get sick of that, and rightly so. they're volunteers with outside commitments. so, Why not just a note? Or, you know, maybe I'm just new, letting the discussion continue? Mods steering discussion is a bad thing. If the community is happy to post in the tread, then its doing its job. No higher purpose here..

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Yeah, I'm struggling to see the logic behind that one too. Absolutely bizarre.

Thanks. I'm checking that with the AH mods now.

• Advertisement

D0NNELLY wrote: »
    A pm from everyone? Mod would soon get sick of that, and rightly so. they're volunteers with outside commitments. so, Why not just a note? Or, you know, maybe I'm just new, letting the discussion continue? Mods steering discussion is a bad thing. If the community is happy to post in the tread, then its doing its job. No higher purpose here..

Not everyone will send a PM. If you are interested enough in the thread - drop a PM as Taltos said.

As for why not letting the discussion continue - see my earlier post.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,481 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I don't think it was all that unreasonable to close the burning churches thread, the reason given was possibly not great, but the thread was proposing illegal action, which was reason enough. The OP was not getting much support though, maybe a change of title to a less inflammatory (sorry) one?

I was enjoying the A&P thread though, did it really matter that the OP never came back?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

looksee wrote: »
    I don't think it was all that unreasonable to close the burning churches thread, the reason given was possibly not great, but the thread was proposing illegal action, which was reason enough. The OP was not getting much support though, maybe a change of title to a less inflammatory (sorry) one?

I was enjoying the A&P thread though, did it really matter that the OP never came back?

I didn't see the OP proposing that, they explicitly stated they were against it. Seemed like an interesting discussion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

To many mods with nothing to do, get rid of a few hundred???

• Registered Users Posts: 28,481 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I didn't see the OP proposing that, they explicitly stated they were against it. Seemed like an interesting discussion.

Yes I agree, it was the title and opening paras that would lead to closure as it seemed to be suggesting illegal actions. It could have been an interesting discussion but it was proposed in overly violent terms, I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

looksee wrote: »

"Should we burn churches " isn't proposing anything.

To many mods with nothing to do, get rid of a few hundred???

Keep the feedback constructive & on-topic please.

tHB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

I'm going to start a thread about should we burn or close down mosques in Ireland in response to Isis and extremist threat across Europe. If this is closed down, it may give evidence of liberal bias, as discussed in another thread.

I'm going to start a thread about should we burn or close down mosques in Ireland in response to Isis and extremist threat across Europe. If this is closed down, it may give evidence of liberal bias, as discussed in another thread.

You have to ask yourself would this be allowed if it was about a n other religion,if yes then it must be disallowed for fear of being accused of bias of course.

If you wish to discuss bias - please use the other thread.

tHB

• Advertisement

Thanks again for raising this. The thread was closed in an attempt at equality, on the thinking that if a thread was started about burning mosques that it would most likely need to be closed immediately. This is probably somewhat true, given that the quality of posting in such threads tends to be on the lower end of the scale.

That said, whether a thread is about burning churches or burning mosques, the discussion should be given a chance to develop. As long as posters are civil to each other, & the discussion doesn't contravene site rules & the forum charter, there should be no reason to close the thread.

tHB

If you wish to discuss bias - please use the other thread.

tHB

I've tried, post deleted, I made a new thread, was locked. Not sure what else can be done but just accept bias and prejudice it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

I've tried, post deleted, I made a new thread, was locked. Not sure what else can be done but just accept bias and prejudice it seems.

again : your post was deleted because it broke the rules of the thread you posted in.

Your thread was deleted as it was just plain stupidity. "does boards hate Christians"... No. job done, thread closed.

Abusing the reported post function to get a last word in was a nice touch though, thanks for that.

LoLth wrote: »
    again : your post was deleted because it broke the rules of the thread you posted in.

Your thread was deleted as it was just plain stupidity. "does boards hate Christians"... No. job done, thread closed.

Abusing the reported post function to get a last word in was a nice touch though, thanks for that.

It's the only way to reply without criticising a mod in public forum? Unless I am meant to PM them when it's closed?

A serous discussion needs to take place into the topics regarding religion, etc and appropriate forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Unless I am meant to PM them when it's closed?

Unfortunately, that's exactly what you're supposed to do. Bit like if there was no GSOC and you had to complain to the same Garda who arrested you that you were wrongfully arrested. :D
    GameFAQs has a system for contesting moderations in which when you get modded, you have a "contest" button - and the contest is automatically reviewed by a different mod to the one who moderated your post or thread.

It's a little irrelevant over there since they disallow only about a tenth of the amount of discussion that Boards disallows, but it works exceptionally well when it's needed.

Unfortunately, that's exactly what you're supposed to do. Bit like if there was no GSOC and you had to complain to the same Garda who arrested you that you were wrongfully arrested. :D
    GameFAQs has a system for contesting moderations in which when you get modded, you have a "contest" button - and the contest is automatically reviewed by a different mod to the one who moderated your post or thread.

It's a little irrelevant over there since they disallow only about a tenth of the amount of discussion that Boards disallows, but it works exceptionally well when it's needed.

that "contest mod action" button is interesting alright. Not sure how managable it would be when you scale up the user base. However, that site has a lot of features that I would not like to see here... full screen ad playing in the background on the landing page (for kerry gold of all things!), two lines of sponsored link images to "news" across the bottom of each page (in addition to the banner ad and in thread sponsored ads that boards have as well).

also, while the disallow less content and have looser moderation in general, look at the list of banned content, they are all in one line so it looks like less (and its not 1/10th of boards.ie's list) and they have a different emphasis like instant and permanent ban for untagged spoilers. We reserve that for actually illegal material.

On closing of threads, if there is not an explanation of why the thread was closed and you want to know, then of course PM the mod. ask why it was closed. If there is a message and you want to dispute it, then yes , PM the mod and give your opinion or report the closing note and state why you disagree with it. don't report the post and use it to get the last word in or make some smart arse comment.

A serous discussion needs to take place into the topics regarding religion, etc and appropriate forums.

serious discussions have been held in the past and opinions gathered and applied. There is never a problem with discussion, its sniping / blanket accusations / unfounded and unfair blame that I have a problem with.

Just out of curiosity, how much of that thread did you read before you decided to be offended? There are a lot of very well constructed and reasoned arguments against any damage to churches of any religion in that thread, many prefaced with "I dont support the church but..." . Yes there are the odd post by some rebellious teen who doesnt think before spouting what they think is a radical opinion - at least I hope its a teen - but they are quite few and far between in that thread. Maybe the thread closure gave time for the reactionary posting (well most of it) to lose the potential for drama/shock so the posters were already distracted elsewhere.

Point is, this is a discussion site where almost all topics should be open for discussion. It is the quality and method used in that discussion that should be the foundation for mod actions, not purely the topic under discussion.

serious discussions have been held in the past and opinions gathered and applied. There is never a problem with discussion, its sniping / blanket accusations / unfounded and unfair blame that I have a problem with.

Just out of curiosity, how much of that thread did you read before you decided to be offended? There are a lot of very well constructed and reasoned arguments against any damage to churches of any religion in that thread, many prefaced with "I dont support the church but..." . Yes there are the odd post by some rebellious teen who doesnt think before spouting what they think is a radical opinion - at least I hope its a teen - but they are quite few and far between in that thread. Maybe the thread closure gave time for the reactionary posting (well most of it) to lose the potential for drama/shock so the posters were already distracted elsewhere.

Point is, this is a discussion site where almost all topics should be open for discussion. It is the quality and method used in that discussion that should be the foundation for mod actions, not purely the topic under discussion.

If you're basing mod action on quality most of AH needs to be closed immediately.

What you really mean is the quality of discussion of certain topics.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

that "contest mod action" button is interesting alright. Not sure how managable it would be when you scale up the user base.

I was about to say "but gamefaqs is huge!" and then I went to check on how many people were online there, only 1,300. Wow that site died a death.

• Advertisement

I was about to say "but gamefaqs is huge!" and then I went to check on how many people were online there, only 1,300. Wow that site died a death.

maybe through lack of filtering of allowed topics ? :D

@kneemos: I cant believe I'm going to post this but I think you are being rather unfair to AH. there have been some stellar debates there on emotive topics in the past with some really excellent posts on both sides of the discussion (complete with comic relief to lighten the tone)

Advertisement