Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which power meter 2016/17

Options
  • 31-08-2016 12:16am
    Site Banned Posts: 638 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Just trying to gleam some info on the recent crop of powermeters and which are good and to avoid my only conditions are must be interchangeable and reliable unlike some of the early stages v1, and cost under €1000

Anyone with experience of different units please chip in can't have enough info and points of view.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

I still haven't seen anything better in that price range in terms of function, reliability and cost than power2max. Pretty much all the performance of an Srm with less of the drawbacks. Left only power is a compromise whilst pedals are too fragile and hubs are too restrictive.

• Site Banned Posts: 638 ✭✭✭imurdaddy

Quigs Snr wrote: »
    I still haven't seen anything better in that price range in terms of function, reliability and cost than power2max. Pretty much all the performance of an Srm with less of the drawbacks. Left only power is a compromise whilst pedals are too fragile and hubs are too restrictive.

Ya was doing research on power2max and looks good but early days yet, any bit luck I might win one in GCN website competition, might save my moving to the shed full time :pac:

I've a pale with stages v1 and has had alot of bother and the company helped but took a bit of persuasion, apparently v2 is sorted out but I don't want to find out hard way, he's trying in vain to sell the v1 but not much bites

• Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I have a stages v2 dura ace model and find it excellent, previously had hub based one and as above found it quite restrictive

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭crazy_kenny

Have the 4iiii myself generation 1 left side crank. Love it and no issues since buying a year ago. You might find this thread interesting.

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057122814/61/#post100206753

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭splanagan22

I've had a stages ver1. Had no problems but never really trusted it. I currently have the the favero Bpro pedals and a power2max.

Defo recommend the P2M. Never any problems and works all the time. Have confidence in it. Pedals are fine but I find they loosen far to easy. Need to check them after each ride IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

imurdaddy wrote: »
    Ya was doing research on power2max and looks good but early days yet,

do you mean early days yet in your research or early days for p2m? if it's the latter, they have been around for a good few years now, are used by at least one pro team, and i've had mine for 3 years now and it has never missed a beat.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭markusz

good price on the now old P2M now as new one comes online:
    http://www.power2max.de/europe/en/Produkt/favorites-en/power2max-type-s-rotor-3d30-road/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,375 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I've been suckered into the Team Zwatt kickstarter. €188 for a left sided power meter.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭clog

Brian? wrote: »
    I've been suckered into the Team Zwatt kickstarter. €188 for a left sided power meter.

Whats the extra 4.46 euro a month fee for ?.

htps://www.kickstarter.com/projects/teamzwatt/team-zwatt-bike-power-meter

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭diarmaidol

Seems to be a Power meter as a service. It's a little unclear if you cancel the sub will they disable the Powermeter. 24 month "contract" so it still 300 eur for a Left only PM and support. It's innovative to say the least.

• Advertisement

clog wrote: »
    Whats the extra 4.46 euro a month fee for ?.

htps://www.kickstarter.com/projects/teamzwatt/team-zwatt-bike-power-meter

The subscription just means it's less money down, as far as I can see.

They are collecting data from all the power meters purchased to improve their software. Win-win really.

Here's from their FAQ:

Good question. We already got that a lot. But the real question may be: Why not?

You want to help us evolve the technology to the point where all your bikes can have a power meter without breaking the bank. So you want us to have an incentive to keep providing progress on that.

And we want you to keep providing real world ride data for our test database. So we want you to have an incentive to keep doing that.

So why not a monthly fee that we can discount when you upload data to us?

We also want you to have the lowest possible initial investment to start generating data for us. By splitting the price like that, we can offer you the lowest possible price to get started

they/them/theirs

diarmaidol wrote: »
    Seems to be a Power meter as a service. It's a little unclear if you cancel the sub will they disable the Powermeter. 24 month "contract" so it still 300 eur for a Left only PM and support. It's innovative to say the least.

Afaik you get charged the full whack if you cancel the subscription. The PM still works. They want your data though so why not pay by the month.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Shimano PM coming in 2017, FC-R9100-P.

Lumen wrote: »
    Shimano PM coming in 2017, FC-R9100-P.
    We can however guess that it won't meet the OP's sub-1000 price range. Crankset alone will be 400-500 ??

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

We can however guess that it won't meet the OP's sub-1000 price range. Crankset alone will be 400-500 ??
    Don't know but I can't see the difference between FC-R9100 and FC-R9100-P being more than that.

What else is there other than crankset?

Lumen wrote: »
    Don't know but I can't see the difference between FC-R9100 and FC-R9100-P being more than that.

What else is there other than crankset?
    The Powermeter? In the end I can't see the package being less than 1500 EUR. Which would be above the OPs question.

The Powermeter? In the end I can't see the package being less than 1500 EUR. Which would be above the OPs question.

I would think based on past Shimano releases that they will keep the 9100 powermeter at a very premium price. I believe there is enough demand to do this initally anyway. They will start to really come down in price if Shimano start including them in the options of next iteration of Ultegra (6900?).

mossym wrote: »
    do you mean early days yet in your research or early days for p2m? if it's the latter, they have been around for a good few years now, are used by at least one pro team, and i've had mine for 3 years now and it has never missed a beat.

Sorry I should of been clearer, I meant early days in my research

Just seen a stages v2 today for 450 pity it's 172 crank i use 170

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I'm currently running a Power2Max on one track bike and an SRM on another

I am finding the SRM is measuring peak power at about 20% higher than the P2M. Likewise normalised power seems 10-20% higher for similar efforts. At lower power levels the gap narrows. I also have Quarqs on the road bikes and my perception is not only do the Quarqs record power consistently (ie one Quarq's measurement is pretty close to another for the same perceived effort), but they also feel consistent with the SRM and indeed the Wattbike. I am therefore less than trusting in the absolute power measurement of the P2M

I've also tried the Garmin Vector and do not believe that was very accurate. Not only is there a lot of faffing around to get it to the recommended torque I found it was dropping the power reading on the track bike when I knew I was putting some power in.

Hence at the cheaper end I have a strong preference for the Quarq certainly ahead of the P2M or Garmin. I've also used Powertaps without issue, but don't have any experience of the current models.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

This might be of use to you OP. I've never used a PM so no personal idea as to which is best

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/article/best-power-meters-for-cycling-42508/

• Advertisement

Beasty, I am genuinely surprised at your experience with the Power2max. I have had both Power2max and Quarq in the same period of time and didn't have any noticeable difference in power output between them. These were both on road bikes and I was looking more at average power over time than normalised and peak power figures though. I have never used one on a track.

Currently have 3 Power2max meters( I would have kept the Quarq as well but sold the BB30 frame I had fitted it to), they all seem to be pretty consistent and they tend to agree in the most part with my historical data. I have over 50,000km recorded with powermeters on the road over the last few years including P2m, Quarq, Powertap and briefly Stages. I have not had any recent use of a SRM meter.

In my experience I found P2m and Quarq roughly the same with Powertap reading 5-10w lower and stages about 15w higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭ABEasy

I've had a stages ver1. Had no problems but never really trusted it. I currently have the the favero Bpro pedals and a power2max.

Defo recommend the P2M. Never any problems and works all the time. Have confidence in it. Pedals are fine but I find they loosen far to easy. Need to check them after each ride IMO.

How do you rate he be pro pedals, considering them ATM, and do you have the left only or the left right option?

Tnks

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Lemon3

Sorry I should of been clearer, I meant early days in my research

Just seen a stages v2 today for 450 pity it's 172 crank i use 170

Where did you see that, if you don't mind me asking

Lemon3 wrote: »
    Where did you see that, if you don't mind me asking

On donedeal but he put it up 50 to match the others on there all looking around 500ish search power meter few other brands there too

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭Smalltom

I have a P2M mostly on my winter bike for 3 winters and its faultless. Changed the battery and chain rings and it just works. Got a pressie of P1 pedals last Autumn and they died. Powertap sent me new replacements in fairness but I'm sorry I just didn't get another p2m. Haven't even taken the replacement P1s out of the box yet.

Smalltom wrote: »
    I have a P2M mostly on my winter bike for 3 winters and its faultless. Changed the battery and chain rings and it just works. Got a pressie of P1 pedals last Autumn and they died. Powertap sent me new replacements in fairness but I'm sorry I just didn't get another p2m. Haven't even taken the replacement P1s out of the box yet.

Question for you i don't know if it's me but I find the website and bit confusing I'm running Dura Ace 7900 i don't see any options for that on there and what exactly am I buying cranks and use my rings right?

Brian? wrote: »

Have you received the goods yet? Sounds like interesting concept

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭splanagan22

ABEasy wrote: »
    How do you rate he be pro pedals, considering them ATM, and do you have the left only or the left right option?

Tnks

Ya not too bad. I find you really need to thighten or at least check the pedals after hard spins. I have been caught a good few times with them going off centre and readings being off

I couldn't fault the P2M and considering it would be an extra €100 or so with there current sale on the classic model I'd recommend the P2M over the be pro.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Question for you i don't know if it's me but I find the website and bit confusing I'm running Dura Ace 7900 i don't see any options for that on there and what exactly am I buying cranks and use my rings right?

if you go with the older p2m you'll need to swap to a rotor or fsa crankset, it won't work with the dura-ace. the new model will have a 4 bolt version to work with dura-ace.

to be honest, having used rotor cranks with praxis rings i'm not sure i'd be bothered with a dura-ace crankset, the praxis rings are superb.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Here is another option for you

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/luck-puts-power-meters-in-shoe-soles/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+cyclingnews%2Fnews+%28Cyclingnews%3A+News+%29

Brim Brothers have something similar. Probably both too early in their development cycle.

Advertisement