Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which power meter 2016/17

Options
2»

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 638 ✭✭✭imurdaddy

Jesus lads they are coming out daily all most nowelcome ha

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,375 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

imurdaddy wrote: »
    Have you received the goods yet? Sounds like interesting concept

I need a 175mm crank length so it won't arrive until February.

It's a bit of a gamble to be honest, but the technology seems sound and the price is right.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

you'd want to be crazy to invest in any of the sole based products or the brim brothers products before they have been on the market for an extended period and have been proven. that's not the first sole based solution that has been announced, and yet nothing on the market. brim brothers has been little more than promises for ages now. i see their crowdfunding stated july, and now two months overdue and has there been any update? has anyone gotten one?

quarg, srm, or p2m. old powertap hub if you only use a single wheel. after that save your money. even the p1 pedals are questionable, i know someone that raced recently with no PM after their pedals crapped out jsut before the race

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

mossym wrote: »

..... i know someone that raced recently with no PM after their pedals crapped out jsut before the race

Dont tell Nairo!!!:D

• Advertisement

Lots of options lads thanks for the info, crazy few years ago was just powetap hub now a new model or concept is coming out ever day.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭Smalltom

Question for you i don't know if it's me but I find the website and bit confusing I'm running Dura Ace 7900 i don't see any options for that on there and what exactly am I buying cranks and use my rings right?

Sorry for the delay. They're great if you mail them and they will ask you what BB you use etc. I'm running SRAM but are the DA chainrings kinda mounded to finish nicely on the cranks? If so you're better off getting them to supply rings but I have SRAM chainrings in black on mine. In saying all that-I just put p1 pedals on and will use them on the turbo for the winter. They're savage easy to change from bike to bike. Hope this helps.

Smalltom wrote: »
    Sorry for the delay. They're great if you mail them and they will ask you what BB you use etc. I'm running SRAM but are the DA chainrings kinda mounded to finish nicely on the cranks? If so you're better off getting them to supply rings but I have SRAM chainrings in black on mine. In saying all that-I just put p1 pedals on and will use them on the turbo for the winter. They're savage easy to change from bike to bike. Hope this helps.

No problem, I contacted them and they said no support for Shamino 7900, so I'd have to buy rotar crankset based unit, so I'm looking into cost versus qurag/stages and I'm leaning towards the power2max could sell my dura ace crankset make a little bit back but probably be as well keeping it. Your right Too they are very efficient to reply.

Thank you for replying

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

you'd want to be crazy to invest in any of the sole based products or the brim brothers products before they have been on the market for an extended period and have been proven. that's not the first sole based solution that has been announced, and yet nothing on the market. brim brothers has been little more than promises for ages now. i see their crowdfunding stated july, and now two months overdue and has there been any update? has anyone gotten one

They posted this on their Facebook recently. They've been posting pretty regularly with updates.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Miklos wrote: »
    They posted this on their Facebook recently. They've been posting pretty regularly with updates.

Given the issues they've had and the fact they had to back into development last year I woldnt get betting a G1 version. I'd be waiting a couple of years to even consider them.

• Advertisement

So after adding up the total to buy the power2max Rotar 3D based system and the odds and ends ie rings bottom bracket converter and something else I can't remember was coming to €1270, I know a better dual side system but a nice chunk of change,

My other option is narrowed to was the v2 stages single sided, I'm running Dura Ace so to buy the matching arm the cheapest I found so far is €715 on one of German sites, if i let my ocd go i could get ultegra/105 crank arm for €500ish

I'm learning towards stages not only because ofor the price but also the use it want it for, I'm never going to be A1 racer or anything of the type but I'm more training for the likes of le marmotte, Etap, Paris Roubaix/flanders sportives and of course the big ones at home and just getting more from my time,training and myself

Anyone think I'm on right track? Or would it be worth the extra €500ish for p2m?

Thanks for the help, atm I'm a few weeks away from shoulder surgery and with plans already made with club for next year I need to maximise my work to reach the goals and honestly I'd be gutted if i don't because these goals are long time coming and a back injury few years back set them back once, bar my current injuries I'm in best shape of my life , i went from 115kg to 86kg now after 2 month of sitting around, trough diet and using weight training, with the bike i made great progress in suppose I trained semi right for first time

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

So after adding up the total to buy the power2max Rotar 3D based system and the odds and ends ie rings bottom bracket converter and something else I can't remember was coming to €1270, I know a better dual side system but a nice chunk of change,

My other option is narrowed to was the v2 stages single sided, I'm running Dura Ace so to buy the matching arm the cheapest I found so far is €715 on one of German sites, if i let my ocd go i could get ultegra/105 crank arm for €500ish

I'm learning towards stages not only because ofor the price but also the use it want it for, I'm never going to be A1 racer or anything of the type but I'm more training for the likes of le marmotte, Etap, Paris Roubaix/flanders sportives and of course the big ones at home and just getting more from my time,training and myself

Anyone think I'm on right track? Or would it be worth the extra €500ish for p2m?

Thanks for the help, atm I'm a few weeks away from shoulder surgery and with plans already made with club for next year I need to maximise my work to reach the goals and honestly I'd be gutted if i don't because these goals are long time coming and a back injury few years back set them back once, bar my current injuries I'm in best shape of my life , i went from 115kg to 86kg now after 2 month of sitting around, trough diet and using weight training, with the bike i made great progress in suppose I trained semi right for first time

Stages has a lot of detractors but as far as I am concerned the numbers are consistent (accuracy is something different) and based on that I am happy with mine. To me it doesnt matter if the actual power is +/- 20% as long as its consistent.

I have a V1 6800. I'll be adding a V2 next year as well I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭coach22

€1270 for the Power2Max is quite a lot of money. I got my first power meter a few months back. I ended up going for the Stages Ultegra 2. For the price (around €550) I can't fault it. Has not let me down yet and results seem consistent.

I would also consider the 4iii. It wan't available when I was looking but is even cheaper than the stages now.

Power2Max also have a sale though and they have a complete package for around €870 which is tempting as well if you can afford it.

godtabh wrote: »
    Stages has a lot of detractors but as far as I am concerned the numbers are consistent (accuracy is something different) and based on that I am happy with mine. To me it doesnt matter if the actual power is +/- 20% as long as its consistent.

I have a V1 6800. I'll be adding a V2 next year as well I think.

That's kinda how I feel and at almost half the price it's hard to overlook, like I don't need perfect accuracy once the numbers are consistent i can work from there,

coach22 wrote: »
    €1270 for the Power2Max is quite a lot of money. I got my first power meter a few months back. I ended up going for the Stages Ultegra 2. For the price (around €550) I can't fault it. Has not let me down yet and results seem consistent.

I would also consider the 4iii. It wan't available when I was looking but is even cheaper than the stages now.

Power2Max also have a sale though and they have a complete package for around €870 which is tempting as well if you can afford it.

My issue with p2m is iv to buy complete new crankset pushing up price and a adapter for bb, 4iii look interesting too and great value, must check it out somemore about them, I'm in no rush atm to pull the trigger

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Beasty wrote: »
    I'm currently running a Power2Max on one track bike and an SRM on another

I am finding the SRM is measuring peak power at about 20% higher than the P2M. Likewise normalised power seems 10-20% higher for similar efforts. At lower power levels the gap narrows. I also have Quarqs on the road bikes and my perception is not only do the Quarqs record power consistently (ie one Quarq's measurement is pretty close to another for the same perceived effort), but they also feel consistent with the SRM and indeed the Wattbike. I am therefore less than trusting in the absolute power measurement of the P2M

I've also tried the Garmin Vector and do not believe that was very accurate. Not only is there a lot of faffing around to get it to the recommended torque I found it was dropping the power reading on the track bike when I knew I was putting some power in.

Hence at the cheaper end I have a strong preference for the Quarq certainly ahead of the P2M or Garmin. I've also used Powertaps without issue, but don't have any experience of the current models.

Very interesting, first time I've seen that observation about P2M. Have been racing with a club mate though and in races where we rode very similarly and on strava climb segments where we climb similarly his stages power reading would be always slightly higher than mine even though I'm a bit heavier. I just assumed it was a limitation of the one sided stages and he presumed my P2M was underreading a little. Looks like it could be the P2M that errors slightly.

Having said that I've used it a lot of over the last 3 years and the feeling I get is it has been very consistent

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

read on another forum that brim brothers announced another delay yesterday .

given the effort they have put in i hope they end up being able to get this to market. however, they have had two (pretty sure it is two?) rounds of crowdsourcing now and still not delivered a product. i feel sorry for anyone that put money in as they have been waiting a long time for a product that may never make the shelves.

read on another forum that brim brothers announced another delay yesterday .

given the effort they have put in i hope they end up being able to get this to market. however, they have had two (pretty sure it is two?) rounds of crowdsourcing now and still not delivered a product. i feel sorry for anyone that put money in as they have been waiting a long time for a product that may never make the shelves.

I personally wouldnt touch them.

Shimano have theirs on pre order. About £1250 from a quick look online.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Yes in this market reliability is everything. Having watched it for a few years now I'd say to anybody looking at them to get something that is proven and just works (meaning no configuration).

And if you're going to buy something that is not proven at least make sure it is cheap.

Advertisement