Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon Dry Cleaners fire

Options
  • 31-08-2016 12:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭

My friend just posted/shared these videos a few minutes ago. Fire looks pretty intense, hope no one is injured.
    Apologies to those who don't have a facebook account and can't view the videos, maybe a mod could repost for others!
    Shannon Dry Cleaners Fire
    Dry Cleaners..........

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Looks well nasty

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭hairyfairy00

attachment.php?attachmentid=395753

Looks totally gutted

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Redo91

Jesus looks like two cars have caught fire in front of it too. Feel awful for anyone involved. Main thing is nobody seems to have been hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭hairyfairy00

My friend is there at the moment, he says the post office is on fire now :(

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,437 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

At the risk of turning this into a traffic thread, Prospect Hill is still closed just in case anybody is planning on heading out that way to work or whatever.
    Will be interesting to see if the tunnel holds up after all these years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

If you look at the videos from earlier this morning, the building is just an empty, gutted shell now. Thankfully appears adjoining buildings are OK. Some cars parked outside destroyed as well.
    Galway Bay fm newsroom - Several units of the fire brigade were called out overnight to tackle a major blaze which has gutted a well known city business.

Emergency services arrived at the scene at Shannon Dry Cleaners at Prospect Hill shortly after midnight.

Large crowds gathered as fire crews battled the blaze, which completely engulfed and gutted the single story, mainly glass fronted building.

Four units of the fire brigade remained at the scene until just after 5am.

It's understood no-one was injured during the incident, however, the road remains closed this morning as Gardai say the structure is unsafe.

Motorists traveling in or out of the city are being advised to expect serious traffic delays this morning as a result.

Gardai say they're investigating the circumstances surrounding the fire.

It's well gutted for sure this morning

7ba95d3354.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭CINCLANTFLT

ah feck.. I have two suits and an overcoat in there for cleaning!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

ah feck.. I have two suits and an overcoat in there for cleaning!

Had.

I suspect that the people who owned the place and who worked there are a little more upset about this than you are ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭TheSegal

Will be interesting to see if the tunnel holds up after all these years.

What's this tunnel you mentioned??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭Storm 10

TheSegal wrote: »
    What's this tunnel you mentioned??

The tunnel for the old Clifden Railway ran under that area, you can see the tunnel entrance if you walk to the end of the platform at the station and look to your left.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Had.

I suspect that the people who owned the place and who worked there are a little more upset about this than you are ....

They would have insurance. But that might be his lucky suit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

No doubt, but it doesn't take away from the fact that the man just lost two suits. :confused:

J o e wrote: »
    No doubt, but it doesn't take away from the fact that the man just lost two suits. :confused:

Thanks... any idea where I stand here... 1 is boss and cost about €500 but about 2 years ago... the other was M&S and was about €200 about 6 weeks ago... the overcoat was from 1999 and cost me about £800 (punts)...

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Breaston Plants

Thanks... any idea where I stand here... 1 is boss and cost about €500 but about 2 years ago... the other was M&S and was about €200 about 6 weeks ago... the overcoat was from 1999 and cost me about £800 (punts)...

Should be well dry by now.....

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Private Joker

I'm sure they have insurance that will cover some or all of the cost. Leave it a few days , let them try and process their own losses then contact them. they have been in business since the 60's, they're not a fly by night operation, i'm sure they're considering their customers losses

The end result:

The emergency services did well by all accounts.

ae0a45c33f.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2 bettycorsa

My beloved wedding dress was in the there. I was so upset to hear it was on fire. The dress cost over €2,500 and was only worn the once. It's not even the money but the sentimental value..I will never get it back but I do hope insurance will at least compensate somewhat for the lost of very expensive items.

Should be well dry by now.....

But will they be clean?

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

bettycorsa wrote: »
    My beloved wedding dress was in the there. I was so upset to hear it was on fire. The dress cost over €2,500 and was only worn the once. It's not even the money but the sentimental value..I will never get it back but I do hope insurance will at least compensate somewhat for the lost of very expensive items.

So sorry to here that Betty, I got mine cleaned there before so my heart goes out to all the people who lost items of irreplaceable sentimental value :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

Er yes, my em diamond encrusted armani suit was there too, I'd say it cost oh at least 3 million.

But that might be his lucky suit.

Events would suggest that it wasn't that lucky!

Re the question of where he stands - I suspect that's a question for your own contents insurance company in the first instance. But, ahh, don't be expecting much for the coat from last century!

Events would suggest that it wasn't that lucky!

Depends on whether the glass is half empty or half full, he could have been wearing the suit :eek:

Depends on whether the glass is half empty or half full, he could have been wearing the suit :eek:

I hope I emptied the pockets first!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,510 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Passed the place yesterday afternoon, when it was still standing.. As I walked by I thought, "Shannon Dry Cleaners reminds me of a fire station".

I blame myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 BALLY BOY

My wife's 2 month old wedding dress went up in the blaze. Any details yet regards what insurance company is dealing with this issue to process our claims?
    Mrs O bumble, there is no question relating to ''your own contents insurance company''

• Site Banned Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭XR3i

i had seven work uniforms (made by jean paul gautier) in there to be dry cleaned, who should i send the bill to

Ouch, some unfortunate wording from their website (yellow highlighting from me):

395818.PNG

Lads, seriously, give it a day or two before asking about their insurance. These people have lost a substantial chunk of their business, likely staff have lost their jobs. And there's the horrible thought of - what if it had happened during the daytime, when people were working in there, which must be going thru the mind of every dry-cleaning worker in the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

XR3i wrote: »
    i had seven work uniforms (made by jean paul gautier) in there to be dry cleaned, who should i send the bill to

Where do you work? :eek:

Advertisement