Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running cable to outdoor socket in garden

Options
  • 31-08-2016 7:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭

I am getting a 220v 13amp square pin outdoor socket installed in the garden which is an approx 20 metre run from the MCB board in the garage. Will be getting an electrician to do the connections on both ends

I understand that I need to use 2.5 SWA cable but have some questions about the whole procedure:

1. How deep does the trench in the garden (grass) need to be?

2. Do I need to put the cable in conduit?

3. Do I need a base (e.g sand) and other layers above the cable/conduit?

4. What kind of cover do I put on the cable where it comes out of the ground at the back of the garage? It will need to run along a concrete base and then up the wall and either in through the wall or fascia?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Regular hydrodare piping will do. Also turn it up the wall in the garage for the electrician to have the cable protected coming out of the ground.

The end of the trench should be clear of stones and level, sand base , hydrodare piping is tough stuff though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Stoner wrote: »
    Regular hydrodare piping will do.
    That is prohibited unless it is red in colour.

There is no guarantee any Electrician will connect it if they haven't installed it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,097 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Electrician has to cert the work at the fusebox so as the post above says they might not want to cert someone else's work. I suggest not filling in the trench so the REC can inspect the work. You stand some chance this way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭jprboy

Thanks for all the replies.

As expected, some conflicting advice !

I'm finding it hard to get an electrician to come out and even look at what I need done.

I've been told offline that an electrician will only want to connect the wire at the fusebox and socket ends and will expect to have all the other work done. Naturally enough an electrician is not going to dig a trench but for the reasons Risteard and Sleeper give I find it hard to believe that they will connect a wire to a live feed if they can't be sure where it's going.

In short, if I dig the trench can an electrician be reasonably expected to lay the cable all the way to the MCB in the garage, including conduit and the drilling of holes in the garage wall as required?

And one question that wasn't answered, how deep does the trench need to be?

Thanks again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

jprboy wrote: »
    And one question that wasn't answered, how deep does the trench need to be?

Thanks again.

500mm AFAIK.

• Advertisement
Advertisement