Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyclist/ Bus incident at Portland Row

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Its a circus out there sometimes..Accidents do happpen however my own experience with a Bus driver passing me with inches to spare last night (deliberately IMO) on Malahide Rd, absolute bloody p1sstake especially on an empty road I ate the cnut at the next stop :mad:.

Unfortunately you are at the mercy of these knuckledraggers when you get on the saddle.

Still fuming :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,660 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

cdaly_ wrote: »
    I think the cyclist gains. Where a cycle lane is painted, car drivers will often assume that, so long as they stay outside the painted line, that they are giving the cyclist adequate room even though this is likely not the case. With no lane painted, an overtaking manoeuvre is required which is likely to result in more space given.

Yes the cyclist does gain, but that clearly is a side effect. Is the bus lane 24hr, in which case the cyclist loses out apart from the time of the time. The point being that there was insufficient space available, and faced with which lane to adjust DCC choose to rid the cycle lane. I accept that for me, and monay others who regularly cycle it actually makes no difference but it is the wrong signal to send out when we are trying to make the city more user friendly.
    buffalo wrote: »
    Before it was a general traffic lane, with a cycle lane within it. Private car traffic regularly encroached on the cycle lane, and certainly any time I used it there wasn't much benefit from it.

The bus lane, which has taken from the general traffic area, should make it the cycle lane area (or whatever you want to call it) less busy and allow cyclists to make quicker progress more safely and easily.

I'm not sure how the cyclist is 'losing out' here.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

With the exception of the N11 which has been ruined by bus-operating psychopaths, I find bus lanes to be a wonderful place in which to cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Roadhawk

Lumen wrote: »
    With the exception of the N11 which has been ruined by bus-operating psychopaths, I find bus lanes to be a wonderful place in which to cycle.

Does the N11 not have segregated cycle lanes?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Its a circus out there sometimes..Accidents do happpen however my own experience with a Bus driver passing me with inches to spare last night (deliberately IMO) on Malahide Rd, absolute bloody p1sstake especially on an empty road I ate the cnut at the next stop :mad:.

Unfortunately you are at the mercy of these knuckledraggers when you get on the saddle.

Still fuming :mad:

Next time take note of the Bus number and time and report him to Dublin Bus.

They are generally pretty good like that.

My advice also is to get a video camera attachment for the bike (or built into a pair of bike glasses as I have) to back you up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

Roadhawk wrote: »
    Does the N11 not have segregated cycle lanes?

No it does not.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭V-man

mrcheez wrote: »
    My advice also is to get a video camera attachment for the bike (or built into a pair of bike glasses as I have) to back you up.

Bike glasses with integrated cam.
    Now that sounds interesting, can you get them with prescription glasses?

It's not segregated as you asked. A 1 inch kerb in the first link is not segregated. A car can easily mount that with the driver hardly noticing.

The second one is not segregated either. It is on a footpath.

Please try again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

traprunner wrote: »
    It's not segregated as you asked. A 1 inch kerb in the first link is not segregated. A car can easily mount that with the driver hardly noticing.

The second one is not segregated either. It is on a footpath.

Please try again.

So then you can say all footpaths are not segregated from the road.

• Advertisement

So then you can say all footpaths are not segregated from the road.

I'm saying that bike tracks on footpaths are not segregated from pedestrians.

This might be useful:
    segregation
    ˌsɛɡrɪˈɡeɪʃ(ə)n/
    noun
    the action or state of setting someone or something apart from others.
    "the segregation of pupils with learning difficulties"
    synonyms: separation, setting apart, keeping apart, sorting out; More
    antonyms: integration
    the enforced separation of different racial groups in a country, community, or establishment.
    "an official policy of racial segregation"
    GENETICS
    the separation of pairs of alleles at meiosis and their independent transmission via separate gametes.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Roadhawk

traprunner wrote: »
    I'm saying that bike tracks on footpaths are not segregated from pedestrians.

This might be useful:
    segregation
    ˌsɛɡrɪˈɡeɪʃ(ə)n/
    noun
    the action or state of setting someone or something apart from others.
    "the segregation of pupils with learning difficulties"
    synonyms: separation, setting apart, keeping apart, sorting out; More
    antonyms: integration
    the enforced separation of different racial groups in a country, community, or establishment.
    "an official policy of racial segregation"
    GENETICS
    the separation of pairs of alleles at meiosis and their independent transmission via separate gametes.

Well if you are going to throw around definitions that are open to interpretation I suppose the white line between the path and cycle lane is the "action" taken to separate pedestrians and cyclists ;)

Well if you are going to throw around definitions that are open to interpretation I suppose the white line between the path and cycle lane is the "action" taken to separate pedestrians and cyclists ;)

You are the one that raised segregation on the N11. I just highlighted that your error. If you had asked "is there any cycle tracks on the N11?" I would have answered in the affirmative.

A white line separates nothing. As a road hawk you must even realise this almost every time you drive on a dual carriage way or motorway as you will (if observing) most likely see at least one driver wander over the the white line in another lane.

Either way where the woman was knocked down did not have segregated cycle lanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Ah, Roadhawk! If you just nudge that view a couple of clicks further you get....

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.243008,-6.130706,3a,75y,124.56h,65.21t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sfEnkHdLT0hwdXlvnYiy1zw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

...and that's why we don't want to use these "segregated" "cycle" "lanes".

v6hmyq.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

One of those in on the other side of a dual carriageway with no way to get onto the lane northbound. And the other starts off the route, with no signage.
    and is not segregated the whole way to Cabinteely, let alone the end of the n11.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

V-man wrote: »
    Bike glasses with integrated cam.
    Now that sounds interesting, can you get them with prescription glasses?

Hmm doubtful as they are Lidl ones... bloody fantastic though

They usually come around on sale every year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Leaving the actual accident aside, as I know nothing about the details of it...

Do not go up the left side of a bus/lorry etc. Or any vehicle if your Spidey sense tingles. Be aware.You have to be aware.

Always have a rear light, even during the summer. The basic See.Sense Icons are great.

Always consider the lowest common denominator theorem.

Or just do what you want, just don't be a moany b1tch if it doesn't go your way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

Effects wrote: »
    See you're thinking of the 25th Century there. We prefer to go backwards in Ireland for the time being.

Heading towards the Matt Talbot bridge they have just removed the cycle lane to make more room for the bus lane.

IMG_1006.jpg?resize=640%2C276

http://irishcycle.com/2016/08/31/second-dublin-cycle-track-removed-and-replaced-with-bus-lane/comment-page-1/

The strange thing here is that very few buses will use this lane as most of the Dublin Bus routes in this area (27, 15 and 14) will have already crossed 2 or 3 lanes of traffic to be in position to make the bus only right turn down Custom House Quay

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Even the professional cyclists are ignoring them - both yesterday and today I had a Cyclone bicycle courier plow through the red light at high speed when pedestrians had the green man.

I was thinking Bradley Wiggins at first.
    I've seen couriers ride dangerously bad so I wouldn't be looking at them for an example.
    I once saw a courier cycle at speed up the one way section of Baggot St., in the wrong direct, between two lanes of heavy traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Effects wrote: »
    I was thinking Bradley Wiggins at first.
    I've seen couriers ride dangerously bad so I wouldn't be looking at them for an example.
    I once saw a courier cycle at speed up the one way section of Baggot St., in the wrong direct, between two lanes of heavy traffic.

saw something similar on the street that joins georges st from golden lane, lad on a DB heading straight up the middle of the road between 2 lanes of traffic going the opposite direction. all he had to do was go another 50m or so up george's st and there's a 1 way in the right direction taking him to the same place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Quite an interesting read about a UK information film on HGVs crushing cyclists turning left, I thought. Reminded me of the RSA's vampire cyclists, in that it managed to misrepresent what the problem actually is:

https://aseasyasridingabike.wordpress.com/2016/09/28/the-department-for-transport-needs-to-show-leadership-on-safe-junction-design-instead-of-blaming-victims/

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭boardbeer

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Quite an interesting read about a UK information film on HGVs crushing cyclists turning left
    I've always been sceptical of claims that the cyclist rode up the inside of a left-turning truck. Frequently a truck has half overtaken me and then started to turn left, leaving the only option to grab the brakes and hope they clear you before turning.
    But dead cyclists never argue with the driver's story.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,482 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Do not undertake trucks/buses - simple as that.
    Then there will be no incident...... simples.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 15,660 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

greenspurs wrote: »

So what, you pass them on the right all the time, or simply wait in line with traffic?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

If only life were so simple. Perhaps you should look at the film in question AND then take the trouble to read up on why the film is badly done.

Often its the truck / bus that overtakes the cyclist or draws alongside at the junction leaving them nowhere to go.

But I suspect saying that is lost upon you and you are probably giving your high horse a treat....

If only life were so simple. Perhaps you should look at the film in question AND then take the trouble to read up on why the film is badly done.

Often its the truck / bus that overtakes the cyclist or draws alongside at the junction leaving them nowhere to go.

But I suspect saying that is lost upon you and you are probably giving your high horse a treat....

No...
    If a truck/bus overakes you, then you aren't undertaking, there is a difference.

People have to take care of themselves on the roads.
    Common sense should tell you "if I go up the inside of this truck/bus there is a chance he could just turn in left....." Its called common sense, and a lot of cyclists don't seem to have it ! And then the rest of us have to put up with motorists tarring us all with thesame brush!

Leroy42 wrote: »
    So what, you pass them on the right all the time, or simply wait in line with traffic?

and whats wrong with waiting in traffic? Id prefer to be 5mins late, than risk undertaking a truck that might pull across me!
    A lot of us on here saying "motorists should wait and be patient , and then you suggest "to simply wait in traffic" is a bad thing?
    Make up your mind, or find a better argument !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

No...
    If a truck/bus overakes you, then you aren't undertaking, there is a difference.

People have to take care of themselves on the roads.
    Common sense should tell you "if I go up the inside of this truck/bus there is a chance he could just turn in left....." Its called common sense, and a lot of cyclists don't seem to have it ! And then the rest of us have to put up with motorists tarring us all with thesame brush!

Truckers, bus drivers: do not overtake cyclists when you intend to turn left. Common sense should tell you that your giant wheels and 30+ tons will crush them to death.

Chuchote wrote: »
    Truckers, bus drivers: do not overtake cyclists when you intend to turn left. Common sense should tell you that your giant wheels and 30+ tons will crush them to death.

yes....
    But you will find when drivers themselves cant be injured by hitting a cyclist , they tend to care less.....

My rule is - Treat drivers like the f***ing idiots that most of them are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

I have come to the conclusion that there is a terrible outbreak of diarrhoea in Dublin; it's the only reason drivers could be overtaking so dangerously and rushing through red lights - they just have to get to a toilet in time.

Advertisement