Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Splitting audio from hdmi

• 31-08-2016 9:36am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭

Just moved into a new apartment and have the space again for my old marantz receiver. Back when I got the receiver there wasn't much hdmi going around.

For the moment I just want to use Chromecast on the tv with sound going through the receiver. I'm going to get a projector in a few months which will probably also get used with the Chromecast.

I'll also be looking to connect the pc to the tv/projector but I think I can use a hdmi cable and separate coax to the receiver for that.

Is there a type of box which i can use to get a separate video and sound signal for the tv and receiver? Where is best to get one and which brand/type?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭imp1

If the TV has a headphone socket, you should be able to use a mini jack to two phonos as an input to your Marantz, HDMI audio de-embedders, or HDMI audio extractors are plentiful on line, Extron, Kramer or Atlona would be at the upper end of the suppliers, there are a load of cheap enough units that probably work well enough. The HDMI cable goes in, the audio is stripped out and the HDMI picture only available on the output side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭akaSol

Any modern TV has the option of returning 5.1 via the optical. If the TV is new ( last couple of years) wire everything to the TV and use the marantz as the sound source
    No need for horrible stereo etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

I found some of those boxes but how well do they work, anyone experience of them?

Tv to receiver won't work when I get a projector though, which will be the main way to watch movies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭imp1

I found some of those boxes but how well do they work, anyone experience of them?

Not sure what boxes you are referring to, but if it is HDMI de-embedders, then they work very well - at least the better quality ones do, if you buy a cheap and nasty one, it might be a different story.

If you have a SKY box/ bluray player or similar, connected directly to the projector via HDMI, then just use the audio out from the projector to feed the Marantz, very simple, cheap and easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

I used a hdmi splitter box in the past to give me 2 hdmi outputs from a single hdmi input, One going to the projector and the other to the amp.

Worked perfectly for me

• Advertisement
Advertisement