Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

facing into battle with depression

Options
  • 31-08-2016 9:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I started a new job four months ago. Over the past two months I've become progressively very unwell. I am finding myself extremely anxious and low, I am not sleeping more than 3 or 4 hours at night and my concentration is shot.
    I had severe postnatal seven years ago, but did make a full recovery, if a protracted one.

It feels like that is happening again to me, but there's no postnatal element. There are no external factors involved either, zero stresses in my life. I did a lot of counselling, CBT and mindfulness last time around, I don't drink alcohol, I eat well, all those things you do to stay well. They all worked until recently.

My problem is that I do not tolerate antidepressants, the last time this happened I followed my doctor's instructions on different types and ended up being hospitalised for weeks because of the severe side effects. I ended up being prescribed a load of other meds on top of an SSRI to dampen down the akathisia from it. Consequently my recovery took a very long time, I was like a zombie for over a year and was totally unable to work in a previous job.

I was very well and healthy for five years after eventually weaning off all the medications and am so upset this has struck again.

From a work perspective I don't know what to do. I cannot continue going the way I am but I also know that medication is not the magic bullet for me that it is for others. If I do end up having to go down that road again (which is a strong possibility given my current state) I am fully aware that I'll be written off for months until I can stabilise. I'm also aware that I may end up in hospital again.
    That's not negative thinking, it's based on fact from what I learned last time around.

How do I approach this at work? My workplace has an extremely strict sick policy which I fully appreciate.

I don't know what to say to my manager or HR about this. Can I ask for unpaid leave, although I'm only working there a short time? I do not want to tell them the nature of my illness.

What's the best way to proceed with this? It would be one weight off my mind if I knew what to do now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,970 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Start with your GP. There are various treatments available, some of which don't require medications. If your current GP isn't sympathetic to these, then try another GP.

Agree with the GP what will be said to work, and when.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 lexolan

Thanks Mrs OBumble, I know what to do in terms of medical professionals, I have already been with my GP who agrees that the medication he can offer me will have the same side effects. I am waiting for an appointment with the psych I saw years ago.

My problem is how to approach this with my work.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

lexolan wrote: »
    Thanks Mrs OBumble, I know what to do in terms of medical professionals, I have already been with my GP who agrees that the medication he can offer me will have the same side effects. I am waiting for an appointment with the psych I saw years ago.

My problem is how to approach this with my work.

TBH, i wouldnt be stressing about work etc. Your main priority here is your health so concentrate on that and work etc will fall into place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

it depends, some here will say leave and be done with it, some will stay tough it out,

to be honest the only person who can judge the situaiton is yourself.

some employers are fine with career breaks, you are there a short time but may be a valued employee.

there are alot of factors,

is it a big or small company.

small SME or multi national.

strong HR team or none or inbetween

do they have a policy on extended mental health leave, eg: the company my organisation is owned by has sick leave, but also has mental health leave or serious illness leave, so its different if you have mental health to cancer to you just take a good few days off a year coz you feel like it. ieL: someone with cancer or a mental illness is given extended time off on the back of a doctors note and meeting with the company doctor but someone who takes so many unexplained days off a year gets a 'chat' and it cna be investigated.

does your manager seem like the empathic type? can you talk to them etc?

can you be better off not working? and hoping for the best when you are better?

it is all so variable.

your health is the most important thing. focus on that. take the steps with your employer if you want to inform then if not, quit and focus on yourself.

Advertisement