Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due May 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 crystal5206

kidcummins wrote: »
    It's very early but I've just gotten my positive test, we have been trying for a year. I want to scream it from the roof top.

Im exactly the same i want to tell everyone but i know its too early days =)

• Registered Users Posts: 22 crystal5206

Jasmine_16 wrote: »
    Hi girls, looks like I'm joining you. I'm still in the shock phase right now, so is himself! Just found out a couple of hours ago. We were planning to try after we moved into our new home. But here we are, probably a couple of months from moving in. I don't know whether to laugh, cry, get sick or just pass out :eek:

I've two older children so I will have baby-sitters on hand. Due around 9th May. Can't believe I just wrote that! Wishing all Mommies to be happy and healthy pregnancies! :)
    Congratulations! My little girl was born on 9th May 2012 so could have same birth date as my lil princess. Im pregnant now too and have the exact same due date as my first born which was 25th April (but she wasnt born until 9th May) so they could end up sharing a birthday. Im like u mixed emotions. Iv been trying for 3 years and havnt been successful after a misscarriage so im terrified this time but so excited at the same time. Im worn out with all the mixed emotions

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

s4uv3 wrote: »
    Congratulations!
    You can go to the gp as soon as you like to get the ball rolling on your care. They'll get you started with the mother and baby scheme (free medical care during pregnancy for yourself anf baby), and tell you when they'll refer you on to the hospital or advise you about self referral if you're in an area where that happens.

Thanks for that. I am trying not to get too ahead of myself as I can be a bit TOO organised and I want to stay in the excited bubble for a while longer. I am crazy busy with work this week so will book in for Monday. Are there any things I should look into regarding the maternity care services?

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭s4uv3

Thanks for that. I am trying not to get too ahead of myself as I can be a bit TOO organised and I want to stay in the excited bubble for a while longer. I am crazy busy with work this week so will book in for Monday. Are there any things I should look into regarding the maternity care services?

I know that feeling!
    Not really tbh, really the only big decisions you need to make now are what hospital to go with, whether you're going to go public or private, and if private which consultant you'd like. But on all this, your gp will be able to advise anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Redteacup86

Hi ladies. Very nervously joining ye here! Super early days and I'm ridiculously worried this is too good to be true after 14 long months of trying! Going to see the doc on weds, I'll be 5 weeks at that stage. Struggling to believe it just yet as I don't feel any different really and I thought id "feel" pregnant?!

• Advertisement

Hi ladies. Very nervously joining ye here! Super early days and I'm ridiculously worried this is too good to be true after 14 long months of trying! Going to see the doc on weds, I'll be 5 weeks at that stage. Struggling to believe it just yet as I don't feel any different really and I thought id "feel" pregnant?!

I am in the same boat, it is all very surreal. I am getting mild cramps (which I know are normal) but I am petrified something will go wrong. Apparently 8/9 weeks is a really good stage to get to so I just want to get there. Then the 12 week mark. Baby steps!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Claire311

s4uv3 wrote: »
    Congratulations!
    You can go to the gp as soon as you like to get the ball rolling on your care. They'll get you started with the mother and baby scheme (free medical care during pregnancy for yourself anf baby), and tell you when they'll refer you on to the hospital or advise you about self referral if you're in an area where that happens.

When i went for my initial docs appointment last week i asked if the appointment was free of charge under the mother and baby scheme. He said no that i needed to pay for the first doc appointment and all other appointments are free of charge.
    However when i checked it up on hse and citizens advice it says that your initial appointment is free.
    Did ye ladies have to pay for your initial apppointment with your gp?

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭DeadlyByDesign

Dont know if guys can post here but yesterday I found out im gonna be a dad in May!!!!!! I am over the moon!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Jasmine_16

Claire311 wrote: »
    When i went for my initial docs appointment last week i asked if the appointment was free of charge under the mother and baby scheme. He said no that i needed to pay for the first doc appointment and all other appointments are free of charge.
    However when i checked it up on hse and citizens advice it says that your initial appointment is free.
    I haven't been for my appointment yet, I'm due on Friday. I thought the initial appointment is included? Maybe I'm wrong
    Dont know if guys can post here but yesterday I found out im gonna be a dad in May!!!!!! I am over the moon!!!

Well congratulations to you both. It's such a super time of your life, becoming a parent. It adds a new dimension to your lives and gives everything a new perspective. Wishing you both a happy healthy little one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭s4uv3

Claire311 wrote: »

I paid a reduced rate for my first one. I know that some gp's charge and some don't. I presumed that I had to pay because I wasnt yet signed up to the free scheme, but I never even questioned it at the time...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Yep sometimes you pay and sometimes it's free. It depends on the GP.

I paid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭mrsmags16

I'm going private (my Mum is insisting solely based on the experience she had with me in the Rotunda public all of 30 years ago which I know is ridiculous!)... so I have my first appt at 8 weeks with an early viability scan, I think to see if the heart is beating.
    My app told me today the heart may have started beating so I'm dying to know if it is or not!!

mrsmags16 wrote: »
    My app told me today the heart may have started beating so I'm dying to know if it is or not!!

I am 5.5 weeks gone and nearly cried when my app said the heart would be beating soon. It makes it all so real! My parents are away at the minute so I can't tell them. There is a very strong chance I will be sitting on their door step when they return on Sunday! I am the only girl and am super close with my ma so can't wait to share this with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Redteacup86

I am 5.5 weeks gone and nearly cried when my app said the heart would be beating soon. It makes it all so real! My parents are away at the minute so I can't tell them. There is a very strong chance I will be sitting on their door step when they return on Sunday! I am the only girl and am super close with my ma so can't wait to share this with them.

That's so sweet! We have decided not to tell anyone for a while but it's hard!! I'm surrounded by pregnant women in work and I want to join in the conversations!! Had my gp apt this morning- first apt is not covered by the antenatal care scheme. Booking in for a private scan around 8 weeks as gp said public in the rotunda it could be up to 17 weeks before you get a booking apt. Which is f@ckin disgraceful if you ask me but we can't afford to go private so I guess we are at their mercy :(

I'd heard the waits for scans had gotten ridiculous. My last child was born 12 years ago and I probably had three in total, same with my 14 year old. Early weeks, twenty two or four weeks and one beyond that somewhere. I get the impression that they aren't bothering with early scans unless their is something up or you've had previous miscarriages.

My first doctors appointment is this Friday, so I haven't even been referred yet. I'm sure they will suggest an early scan because I've previous history. I'm going to get a gender scan privately when it's possible, because I'm too impatient for surprises lol.

Do you think you girls will find out or do you want it to be a surprise? :)

That's so sweet! We have decided not to tell anyone for a while but it's hard!! I'm surrounded by pregnant women in work and I want to join in the conversations!! Had my gp apt this morning- first apt is not covered by the antenatal care scheme. Booking in for a private scan around 8 weeks as gp said public in the rotunda it could be up to 17 weeks before you get a booking apt. Which is f@ckin disgraceful if you ask me but we can't afford to go private so I guess we are at their mercy :(

I always thought I would wait until the three month mark to tell anyone but I was so excited on Monday (we found out on Sunday), my husband was working and I just had to talk about it! I rang my best friend and told her. I figure that if anything goes wrong, I will be telling her anyway. I just can't believe it so chatting about it makes it so real.

I am going to the doctor on Friday. How much are private scans? How did you all decide on your maternity hospital? I am in Dublin if anyone has any advice.

I am definitely looking for a surprise but I already have a mild preference. Terrible mammy!

I'd heard the waits for scans had gotten ridiculous. My last child was born 12 years ago and I probably had three in total, same with my 14 year old. Early weeks, twenty two or four weeks and one beyond that somewhere. I get the impression that they aren't bothering with early scans unless their is something up or you've had previous miscarriages.

My first doctors appointment is this Friday, so I haven't even been referred yet. I'm sure they will suggest an early scan because I've previous history. I'm going to get a gender scan privately when it's possible, because I'm too impatient for surprises lol.

Do you think you girls will find out or do you want it to be a surprise? :)

I'm definitely going to find out.
    I'm going to get the prenatal testing done for chromosomal abnormalities so I think that's about 10-12 weeks...so I guess that will tell me gender then if all goes well!

I'm going to get the prenatal testing done for chromosomal abnormalities so I think that's about 10-12 weeks...so I guess that will tell me gender then if all goes well!

Do you know if that kind of testing is as invasive as it used to be? I heard in earlier child bearing years amniocentesis involved (don't puke!) Putting a needle through moms tummy to get a sample from baby. I'm 37 now and have thought about this a little.

I was chatting to the OH and he's happy to find out the gender too, and we will go to baby scan at 18wks. Going assume I will find out from them faster than the hospital anyway.

First doctors appointment today, so all confirmed and letter sent off to the hospital. It's all very real now :). Other than passing nausea, the odd cramp and a bit more tired than normal I'm doing okay.

How are you ladies feeling?

Do you know if that kind of testing is as invasive as it used to be? I heard in earlier child bearing years amniocentesis involved (don't puke!) Putting a needle through moms tummy to get a sample from baby. I'm 37 now and have thought about this a little.

I was chatting to the OH and he's happy to find out the gender too, and we will go to baby scan at 18wks. Going assume I will find out from them faster than the hospital anyway.

First doctors appointment today, so all confirmed and letter sent off to the hospital. It's all very real now :). Other than passing nausea, the odd cramp and a bit more tired than normal I'm doing okay.

How are you ladies feeling?

Nope I'm only going to get the non invasive screen (NIPT) think it's Harmony screening.
    Feel grand just exhausted all the time but excited!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

As far as I know, gender can only be detected from as early as 16 weeks.

• Advertisement

Nope I'm only going to get the non invasive screen (NIPT) think it's Harmony screening.
    Feel grand just exhausted all the time but excited!!
    I'm going to ask about getting this done, thanks Mags. I had a small nap earlier and I woke up delirious. Managed to stub my toe badly when I got up, honestly you would think I'd been hit with a cricket bat I was that dopey.

If I recall we are supposed to get our energies back 2nd trimester :)

[

• Registered Users Posts: 23 lucky2017

Hello, congrats to everyone due in May 2017! I'm 30 and got a BFP last night. First baby. None of my friends have children, I have no nieces or nephews, so this is very much new territory. I have never even changed a nappy!

I can barely believe I'm posting here - we only stopped contraception 22 Aug and I thought it would take longer. Based on the first day of my last period I am due early May but I have long cycles and I pretty sure I ovulated and conceived less than two weeks ago. That would give me a due date of 21 May. Last night Clearblue digital read 1-2 weeks. Can I convince the GP to give me a later due date?! I'm going to see her tomorrow for confirmation. The later date would really help workwise - I'm self employed and summer time will be quiet for me.

Although my home is closer to Holles St I think I will go to the Coombe (public) - I have heard great reports. Not 100% decided yet but I think this is something I need to make mind up on asap?

Symptom wise: appetite has reduced, mild abdominal cramps, nervous feeling in my tummy (that could just be nerves though!), and - sorry if this is TMI - my wee smells funny, almost sugary!

Love2love wrote: »
    As far as I know, gender can only be detected from as early as 16 weeks.

I think if the blood test looks at foetal chromosomes, then it must be able to see the X or Y too which determine sex... it's not my area of medicine so I'll check with Consultant but it might be possible to know early. The 16 weeks would probably refer to visible anatomy on an ultrasound.

lucky2017 wrote: »
    Hello, congrats to everyone due in May 2017! I'm 30 and got a BFP last night. First baby. None of my friends have children, I have no nieces or nephews, so this is very much new territory. I have never even changed a nappy!

I can barely believe I'm posting here - we only stopped contraception 22 Aug and I thought it would take longer. Based on the first day of my last period I am due early May but I have long cycles and I pretty sure I ovulated and conceived less than two weeks ago. That would give me a due date of 21 May. Last night Clearblue digital read 1-2 weeks. Can I convince the GP to give me a later due date?! I'm going to see her tomorrow for confirmation. The later date would really help workwise - I'm self employed and summer time will be quiet for me.

Although my home is closer to Holles St I think I will go to the Coombe (public) - I have heard great reports. Not 100% decided yet but I think this is something I need to make mind up on asap?

Symptom wise: appetite has reduced, mild abdominal cramps, nervous feeling in my tummy (that could just be nerves though!), and - sorry if this is TMI - my wee smells funny, almost sugary!

Congrats! It's sooo exciting isn't it. I reckon the hospital will eventually give you a due date based on measurements of the foetus but when it arrives is a different matter I guess!
    No idea when you need to decide re hospital...I self referred to Rotunda and first appt is at 8 to 9 weeks. It's so tough waiting for the reassurance of a scan!

I think if the blood test looks at foetal chromosomes, then it must be able to see the X or Y too which determine sex... it's not my area of medicine so I'll check with Consultant but it might be possible to know early. The 16 weeks would probably refer to visible anatomy on an ultrasound.

Oh I didn't know that. Are harmony scanned often done? I thought they were only done in certain circumstances? I assume you can get them privately done but I imagine they are quite expensive.

Love2love wrote: »
    Oh I didn't know that. Are harmony scanned often done? I thought they were only done in certain circumstances? I assume you can get them privately done but I imagine they are quite expensive.

Yep only done privately so it's really up to each person whether they feel it would be useful.
    I think a few hundred euro.

Things aren't looking well here. I went to my first appointment (to tell the doc) yesterday and I bled in my urine sample. What are the odds it happened in the doctors surgery?! She sent me home saying it was a threatened miscarriage and I basically have to wait it out. No bleeding since then which I can imagine is good. I am exhausted from all the crying. I hope the little baby holds on. The doc said if I didn't experience what she described as "a heavy period" this weekend (the miscarriage) then i will be far enough along next week for an early pregnancy scan to show something.

Things aren't looking well here. I went to my first appointment (to tell the doc) yesterday and I bled in my urine sample. What are the odds it happened in the doctors surgery?! She sent me home saying it was a threatened miscarriage and I basically have to wait it out. No bleeding since then which I can imagine is good. I am exhausted from all the crying. I hope the little baby holds on. The doc said if I didn't experience what she described as "a heavy period" this weekend (the miscarriage) then i will be far enough along next week for an early pregnancy scan to show something.

Oh loveinapril, I'm sorry to hear this. You must be up the wall with worry! Just rest and take care of yourself and hopefully all is OK. Many women bleed throughout and go on to have healthy babies. Just be kind to yourself and hopefully all is well.

Thanks. I just phoned Holles Street and they said to phone the Early Pregnancy Assessment Unit on Monday to book a scan. I really hope there is no bleeding before then. I just hate waiting. I will be 6+1 on Monday so I really hope something will show up. I am literally only standing up to go to the loo. I am trying to drink and nap loads.

• Advertisement

How awful, I imagine the waiting is awful, fingers crossed it's settled and all is ok. Thinking of you.

Advertisement