Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due May 2017

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

lucky2017 wrote: »
    Hello, congrats to everyone due in May 2017! I'm 30 and got a BFP last night. First baby. None of my friends have children, I have no nieces or nephews, so this is very much new territory. I have never even changed a nappy!

I can barely believe I'm posting here - we only stopped contraception 22 Aug and I thought it would take longer. Based on the first day of my last period I am due early May but I have long cycles and I pretty sure I ovulated and conceived less than two weeks ago. That would give me a due date of 21 May. Last night Clearblue digital read 1-2 weeks. Can I convince the GP to give me a later due date?! I'm going to see her tomorrow for confirmation. The later date would really help workwise - I'm self employed and summer time will be quiet for me.

Although my home is closer to Holles St I think I will go to the Coombe (public) - I have heard great reports. Not 100% decided yet but I think this is something I need to make mind up on asap?

Symptom wise: appetite has reduced, mild abdominal cramps, nervous feeling in my tummy (that could just be nerves though!), and - sorry if this is TMI - my wee smells funny, almost sugary!

If you are going public there is no massive rush to book the hospital but you should still boo as soon as you make up your mind.
    There isn't much difference between the hospitals tbh but if you want to go with the Domino scheme,want a homebirth etc it is worth looking at what each one offers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

Lucky I'm also self employed (was due April 2015) and my gp only gave me an extra few days onto due date. I ended up having him three weeks early so didn't matter any way!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 lucky2017

Things aren't looking well here. I went to my first appointment (to tell the doc) yesterday and I bled in my urine sample. What are the odds it happened in the doctors surgery?! She sent me home saying it was a threatened miscarriage and I basically have to wait it out. No bleeding since then which I can imagine is good. I am exhausted from all the crying. I hope the little baby holds on. The doc said if I didn't experience what she described as "a heavy period" this weekend (the miscarriage) then i will be far enough along next week for an early pregnancy scan to show something.

Hi loveinapril, sorry to hear that you are having a scare but keep the hope and try to stay calm...you don't know for sure yet that the news is bad. Fingers crossed for you.

Thanks everyone. I went to the GP today and she told me I'm 5.5 weeks and due 8th May! I am 99.9% sure I conceived only 13 days ago and I asked her to readjust in light of that. She wouldn't and said that it was up to the hospital on the 12 week dating scan to confirm due date according to measurements.

I'm torn between Holles St and the Coombe. I live within walking distance of Holles St and hubby is pushing it because it is so convenient. However I've heard excellent reports of the Coombe public care and I work along the red line Luas so it wouldn't be that inconvenient. Domino scheme sounds good but I'm not in Coombe catchment so I'd have to stay in Hosp a while longer...I don't think this would bother me too much!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭mrsmags16

I was at a party last night and spent the whole night freaking out as I had mild-moderate period-like cramping all evening...
    Wonder what's going on - is womb stretching or something?
    Also taking preg vitamins and seriously constipated on the iron I think
    Result is I'm in major abdo discomfort this am
    On bright side haven't been up this early/sober on a Sunday in about 15 years!!

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone. I went to the GP today and she told me I'm 5.5 weeks and due 8th May! I am 99.9% sure I conceived only 13 days ago and I asked her to readjust in light of that. She wouldn't and said that it was up to the hospital on the 12 week dating scan to confirm due date according to measurements.

I'm torn between Holles St and the Coombe. I live within walking distance of Holles St and hubby is pushing it because it is so convenient. However I've heard excellent reports of the Coombe public care and I work along the red line Luas so it wouldn't be that inconvenient. Domino scheme sounds good but I'm not in Coombe catchment so I'd have to stay in Hosp a while longer...I don't think this would bother me too much!

I'm sure you'd be glad of the closeness when we are all the size of houses and waddling about?! As would hubby when he has to visit, dash home for spare babygros or whatever...just a thought!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Jasmine_16

April I really hope you and baby are okay. Please God that little one sticks for you x
    mrsmags16 wrote: »
    I was at a party last night and spent the whole night freaking out as I had mild-moderate period-like cramping all evening...
    Wonder what's going on - is womb stretching or something?
    Also taking preg vitamins and seriously constipated on the iron I think
    Result is I'm in major abdo discomfort this am
    On bright side haven't been up this early/sober on a Sunday in about 15 years!!

Don't worry too much about the cramps Mags, just rest up till they pass. Any cramping is likely to be down to uterus doing a stretch. Other cramps could be down to bloat, which I'm suffering from at the moment. Hormonal changes can have an effect on your digestion. Just as I write this my cramps have returned, but I'm sitting up. It's normal Mags.

Regarding iron, I was told by my GP on friday not to take it unless I was told to, as I'd mentioned I took it now and again.

I had been taking Pregnancare for conception (with a view to be pregnant much further down the line!) but had to stop taking them. They are very heavy, and made me feel nauseous. I'm not on my own on it either, I read lots of comments saying the same. Im going to look into getting anotber multivitamin.

I am cramping like crazy too, especially today! I asked the GP about it yesterday and she said not to worry. She described them as "phantom period pains" and said that so long as they are not accompanied by an actual period they are normal.

I also asked GP about vitamins and she said that folic acid is the only essential one. I just use Boots own brand, cheap as chips - she said they are all the same! Later on in pregnancy she advised taking the iron supplement Galfer.

I'm finding appetite a bit reduced, my thirst increased and boobs very tender. Other than that, and the cramping/butterfly feeling in my tummy, no symthoms :)

I felt very smug waking up without a hangover this weekend - we have a lot of 30ths, engagement parties, weddings etc and I don't know how I'll hide it for the next couple of months! Took myself on a lovely long run earlier and felt very smug after it! GP said there was no issue with running now but to stop once belly gets big.

Hoping to get an early scan privately around the 9 week mark, before we tell our parents. There is a place in Rathgar that checks for heartbeat, dating and multiples for €92 if booked in advance. This is the best value I've seen. Anyone else seen better?

Still not decided re Holles St or Coombe...

Fingers crossed. I don't want to take it for granted that everything will turn out ok as I know the stats re mc are high. But here's hoping :)

Fingers crossed. I don't want to take it for granted that everything will turn out ok as I know the stats re mc are high. But here's hoping :)

We have been AWFUL. We've told everyone. Very bad at keeping secrets.
    But I wouldn't necessarily be ashamed to tell people i had a miscarriage either. I'm absolutely not religious but a bit of a believer in 'there's a reason for everything'.
    As a result my mad mother has started buying baby clothes. She said 'sure the equipment works so they'll be put to use sometime!'

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Jasmine_16

We've told nobody, and I don't particularly want to. For one, it will be a long 8 months if I keep being asked about it. But the main reason is I make meals etc for my Dad, who has stage four cancer. If I tell him I'm pregnant he won't let me help him. So I'll keep it under wraps for as long as I can get away with it.

In terms of of buying things, well everyone will think I'm off my rocker, but I've been squirreling all sorts away. When it comes to babies I leave nothing to last minute. If I wait till I've a bowling ball under my jumper I won't have the energy and I'll stress out. I'm a shrewd bargain hunter too, that part is fun.

Hope you girls are feeling well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Meubles

Can I join too?? Just got our BFP - completely shocked!! We were trying for a year (I'm 32) even though it took about 3 months to figure out my cycles. Both over the moon still completely shocked. Think it hasn't sunk in yet! I was temping so being given an edd of 24th May 2017.

I feel on cloud 9! Was so concentrated on getting pregnant forgot to imagine what to do next. I already feel terrified and hope it works out. Does the fear subside a bit once it sinks in??

I live in Amsterdam (6 years now) so it's going to probably be a different experience here than at home but it's just going to be nice to have the support of people going through the same!

I am home for a visit this weekend for a week, my brother is home from Australia too for visit so already debating telling just parents and him as I won't get an opportunity to tell them in person if not....hmmm! Will definitely wait to tell the 'Dutch Side' until after first scan...whenever that is!!! Ahhh Happy!!!!

Congratulations Meubles, that is fantastic news for you!

If you won't see your family in person again for a while I can understand that you'd like to tell them - go for it. We haven't told anyone yet and if we can get away with it we won't spill the beans to parents and siblings until late October. I think I want to have an 8-9 week scan first (I won't believe it until I see a heartbeat - fingers crossed). I also like it being a little secret between the two of us for a while longer. That said, I would tell my family straight away if anything went wrong so there would be no harm in sharing the news now either.

I feel absolutely fine apart from very sore boobs! My nipples are looking wayyyy bigger than normal and none of my bras fit me. I'll have to invest in a bigger size!

Other than that I have no complaints - I feel so good that I'm almost worried I'm not really pregnant! I think I had more symptoms last week - cramping has reduced a bit.

Hope everyone else is good.

Woke up to spotting this morning. I am in complete shock, talk about extreme high to extreme low. It was very light pink / brown and no cramps, boobs still tender...Trying to remain positive but I don't know. I read it can be common to spot in early pregnancy but my happy bubble has just popped and I'm just afraid now. I have done a 180 on telling anyone now feeling way too fragile. Anyone else experienced any spotting and it turned out ok?

Meubles wrote: »
    Woke up to spotting this morning. I am in complete shock, talk about extreme high to extreme low. It was very light pink / brown and no cramps, boobs still tender...Trying to remain positive but I don't know. I read it can be common to spot in early pregnancy but my happy bubble has just popped and I'm just afraid now. I have done a 180 on telling anyone now feeling way too fragile. Anyone else experienced any spotting and it turned out ok?

I have heard that what you're experiencing is quite common in early pregnancy so try not to worry. If it persists or if you see red blood it might be time to go to the Doctor but for now it should be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭bluedoor27

I am nearly 7 weeks gone and have had spotting the last week or so. Mainly brown!! My GP referred me to the EPU today. Had an internal scan where they saw a haemotoma beside the sac and my progesterone levels are a bit low so have to go back again next Friday. So I just have to wait and see what next week brings. I would advise going to see your doctor just in case!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

I had way more than spotting last Friday and had a scan on Tuesday and everything looked okay. I am back next week when a heart should be beating. The sonographer said early pregnancy bleeding is common but I really get how that does not ease the sheer terror.

I had way more than spotting last Friday and had a scan on Tuesday and everything looked okay. I am back next week when a heart should be beating. The sonographer said early pregnancy bleeding is common but I really get how that does not ease the sheer terror.

Wow.
    How scary.
    Thinking of you guys...good to see it seems to be a common symptom. Fingers crossed we all get through these few weeks okay!
    I'm tired and queasy each evening... I'm on the couch and not moving for love nor money all weekend.
    My Culture Night is consisting of cold water, toast and Sky Movies

Thank you so much for kind words girls. I called a midwife this evening who reassured me as long as its not heavy and not accompanied by pain it's nothing to worry about and 50% of early pregnancies have some spotting. Starting to feel better and spotting stopped a few hours ago so crossing everything this little bean sticks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

I am killed with a UTI at the minute too. I am on the last day of three days of antibiotics and I really don't think they have worked. Still very achey and can't stop peeing. Going to head back to the doctor in the morning. I really hate taking tablets while pregnant so was trying to get rid of it with tonnes of cranberry juice but it is one of the things I hate most in the world. I heave even thinking about it! The Rotunda prescribed the antibiotics though, so I have confidence that they know the right ones for early pregnancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭goingagain

I am killed with a UTI at the minute too. I am on the last day of three days of antibiotics and I really don't think they have worked. Still very achey and can't stop peeing. Going to head back to the doctor in the morning. I really hate taking tablets while pregnant so was trying to get rid of it with tonnes of cranberry juice but it is one of the things I hate most in the world. I heave even thinking about it! The Rotunda prescribed the antibiotics though, so I have confidence that they know the right ones for early pregnancy.

Try and rest and get this better. I ended up in hospital on my third with a recurring kidney infection.

• Advertisement

It may have been the UTI, I had a bad bleed on my third and pretty sure it was due to a kidney infection

I am exhausted and so nauseous, hope I don't start vomiting.

Anybody else sick?

goingagain wrote: »

Anybody else sick?

I'm really tired too. I find my concentration isn't great during the day and I can barely keep my eyes open past 9pm! Also my boobs are really tender and a lot bigger than normal for about the last 3 weeks. I'm not sick thankfully but then again I've always had a strong stomach and have rarely vomited in my life - hopefully that's a sign of things to come!

I've heard that eating small amounts regularly can help? And just get as much rest as you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Redteacup86

goingagain wrote: »

Anybody else sick?

I've been tired from day1 but the nausea has kicked in now since yesterday (6+2) and my boobs feel like I'm being stabbed with a hot poker and they are too big for my bra already. I'm in my sports bra today! Also killed with diarrhea on top of the nausea today- the joys!!!!!

I've been tired from day1 but the nausea has kicked in now since yesterday (6+2) and my boobs feel like I'm being stabbed with a hot poker and they are too big for my bra already. I'm in my sports bra today! Also killed with diarrhea on top of the nausea today- the joys!!!!!

Me too on all of the above
    Woke up in middle of night retching
    Spent hour on bathroom floor in between vomiting and diarrhoea just shaking
    Crying today
    This is absolute bull****
    ..... sigh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Ah girlies I feel for you all! I really struggled with nausea and tiredness for what felt like forever (until my GP gave me Cariban at 15 weeks), and was really down in the dumps as a result - I couldn't see the light at the end of the tunnel at all.

But believe me, there is light at the end of the tunnel! And it might even come sooner than you think it might. The second trimester is so much better, you start to feel more human again and the pregnancy starts to feel more real, with the bump and the kicks and the scans and the baby shopping. It'll all be worth it, just keep swimming. I know it's really really rough, but you'll get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭cupcake queen

Ah girlies I feel for you all! I really struggled with nausea and tiredness for what felt like forever (until my GP gave me Cariban at 15 weeks), and was really down in the dumps as a result - I couldn't see the light at the end of the tunnel at all.

But believe me, there is light at the end of the tunnel! And it might even come sooner than you think it might. The second trimester is so much better, you start to feel more human again and the pregnancy starts to feel more real, with the bump and the kicks and the scans and the baby shopping. It'll all be worth it, just keep swimming. I know it's really really rough, but you'll get there.

Just to echo the above - I am 21 weeks now and have been feeling good the past few weeks but I remember in the early stages feeling like I had the worst hangover in the world and it just wouldn't end! It really will go away though. Be kind to yourselves and eat whatever you fancy (for me the only thing I could stomach was chips and the odd bit of fruit. Oh and lots of 7up) Whatever you have to do to keep yourself going! You will be out the other side before you know it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Sunnygt

Congratulations all expectant moms for May 2017. I got my BFP on Friday after testing negative earlier in the week, had lots of symptoms bloating, tightness, sore boobs etc but felt like that a few months back coming off the pill too. This is my third pregnancy and whilst it's still early days we are just over the moon. I've no nauseous feelings so far but the tiredness has knocked me for six!! Lovely to read how everyone else is doing as we're hoping not to tell anyone until after the 3 month mark but I'd say my belly will do the talking before that.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 229 ✭✭LouD2016

Hi all - new to this- due 7th May (all going well!) ...first baby so very excited and nervous.
    Started a new job yesterday and am very anxious about breaking my news to them!! how soon should i tell them??

• Advertisement

Well I found a cure for the morning sickness
    I was on a 24 hour shift last night and I was dreading it as I'd been feeling so crap. However even though I didn't get much sleep I was up all night, eating little bits here and there and felt GRAND today. Did a massive walk in the park. Loads of energy. So it must be the 8 hours' sleep and no eating that caused the morning sickness?
    Not that staying up all night is a solution either! But less fearful of those shifts now!

My boobs feel like the worst sunburn ever. No sports bra in the world can save me.

Advertisement