Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Bikes

Options
  • 31-08-2016 11:34am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭

know there is a few looking at new bikes, so this may be of interest. Canyon jsut announced the more cost friendly version of Frodo's speed machine.

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/article/canyon-creates-versatile-new-speedmax-cf-47994/

img_3202-1472582134103-y7vyw3wdudvp-960-540.jpg

It differs from the Speedmax CF SLX in a couple of important ways: firstly the Shimano direct mount brakes are not integrated, which has a bit of an aero disadvantage, but makes them much easier to service.

The frame is made from a lower-end carbon fibre, which is slightly heavier (we were't told how much heavier), but encouragingly Canyon claim that there's only a 0.5W aero penalty compared to the Speedmax CF SLX. When asked how they arrived at this figure, Canyon said that they measured it in the wind tunnel at multiple points between +20° and -20°, and took an average.

While there is an integrated storage box for energy gels, there isn't one included for spare inner tubes and CO2 cartridges, as done on the Speedmax SLX. Nor is there a specific hydration bottle available, though they can be bought aftermarket from companies like Profile Design, and there are two bottle bosses included on the frame.

On to geometry, this bike has a slightly more comfortable position than its older brother the Speedmax CF SLX. So there's a shorter reach and higher stack height, reflecting the fact this bike is aimed at age-groupers and not elites. All sizes have a 420mm chain stay length, and the size medium has a 73° head tube angle, 533mm stack and 425mm reach.

tempting..:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

The price they are saying it's starting at too looks very competitive. More and more of the features of top end bikes are starting to filter down to the more affordable bikes. I wonder how much closer in aero it would be if you put an aftermarket centre pull front brake. Seems to make a decent improvement to the felt IA.

Be interesting to see if there is anymore Tri bikes coming out too. Specialized haven't had a new TT in a while and from reading around they have pulled the Shiv from a lot of sites and dealers. More likely to be a kona release though.

Bike now up on their website,

https://www.canyon.com/triathlon/speedmax/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Damn you @mossym

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

tempted?

given i didn't hit the goal watts in CPH i can safely say the bike is not the limiter, so i'm not tempted to change until the bike is the limiter..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Ah mossy, the bike is never the limiter, you can still be tempted well before the bike is the limiter!

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭RJM85

CF 9.0 is €2,999 and comes with a wheelset that retails at €1,600. The value they're able to offer is really incredible.

• Advertisement

I love the look of the Canyon. That being said I love my BMC. Not even sure how the geometry compares. They're savage value though. Like you, I was well below target watts in CPH so more work to be done on the engine first I think.

2 additional comments:
    1. I like that the brakes are accessible. Sick of the hassle of integrated brakes.
    2. I wonder will the Flo wheels fit it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

Lads, are the Planet X TT bikes any use? They seem good value.

pgibbo wrote: »
    I love the look of the Canyon. That being said I love my BMC. Not even sure how the geometry compares. They're savage value though. Like you, I was well below target watts in CPH so more work to be done on the engine first I think.

2 additional comments:
    1. I like that the brakes are accessible. Sick of the hassle of integrated brakes.
    2. I wonder will the Flo wheels fit it?

honestly, i wouldn't have thought this would have been much of an upgrade over your time machine, even leaving aside fit issues?

joey100 wrote: »
    Ah mossy, the bike is never the limiter, you can still be tempted well before the bike is the limiter!

true Joey. but my bike will see me through another IM no problem, and i'll spend the money on getting me to races first. :)

mossym wrote: »
    honestly, i wouldn't have thought this would have been much of an upgrade over your time machine, even leaving aside fit issues?
    Fair comment. it's just new

• Advertisement

Fair comment. it's just new

:)

don't mind me. i'm going through a very rare "i don't need new gear" phase, in a month i'll be back drooling over p5's despite knowing i'll be jsut as fast on my current machine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

true Joey. but my bike will see me through another IM no problem, and i'll spend the money on getting me to races first. :)
    smart

:)

don't mind me. i'm going through a very rare "i don't need new gear" phase, in a month i'll be back drooling over p5's despite knowing i'll be jsut as fast on my current machine :)

From what I hear one of the GTC lads will have a P5 for sale soon that will probably be the right size for you :) BTH will know for sure or Rob ;)

From what I hear one of the GTC lads will have a P5 for sale soon that will probably be the right size for you :) BTH will know for sure or Rob ;)

see post 10 and get off my shoulder :)

a4.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

see post 10 and get off my shoulder :)

Bettajdbka.jpg

P5s are nice though:)

P5s are nice though:)

they are indeed, would be my choice in a heartbeat if offered a free bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Think the Canyon has gone to the top of my wishlist. If I can get over the whole buying online bit (unless I wrong in thinking there's more limited aftermarket adjustments that can be made to these style TT bikes rather than a road bike). Must unfollow this forum...

other way around, much more adjustment that can be made to a tt bike, distance/height from the saddle to the elbow pads is critical and very much dependent on your body size and flexibility. not all tt bikes suit every rider, you might be better suited to a low or long bike or a tall and short.

very difficult to buy online and get it right if you don't have an idea what your fit would be. it is possible to get a fit done before buying the bike which simplifies buying online, i'ev used bikefit.ie in the past and james has the adjustable setup that means he can do a fit with no bike so you can get the dimensions before you buy

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭Macy0161

very difficult to buy online and get it right if you don't have an idea what your fit would be. it is possible to get a fit done before buying the bike which simplifies buying online, i'ev used bikefit.ie in the past and james has the adjustable setup that means he can do a fit with no bike so you can get the dimensions before you buy
    I've done the bike fit - that's actually why it's a concern as a bad bike fit was deemed the root cause of a run injury. He has all my details, so I guess I'd run the options by him and see what he'd recommend/ could work with!

If it comes to buying time - it's definitely not the bike that's the limiting factor, even on the bike split! I just want one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

14 August at 22:56 he posted that it was for sale!!!
    One full distance race, one win.

• Advertisement

Not sure if anyone else has seen this...but something a little different..
    http://aerogeeks.com/2016/09/13/tririg-omni-first-look/

TR2_2467.jpg

@mossym - Did you see the price tag?????? Crazy money for a first time bike from a company. Crazy money in general

@mossym - Did you see the price tag?????? Crazy money for a first time bike from a company. Crazy money in general

agreed. i also saw it initially was listed with a 1 year warranty, from a company with previous serious recall issues. once that was bashed to death online it was claimed that it was a mistake and that it was a 5 year warranty.

wouldn't touch it with a bargepole

stop the lights

Andean-White-Paper_pdf.jpg

Andean-White-Paper_pdf2.jpg

http://aerogeeks.com/2016/09/14/diamondback-andean-first-look/

if ever a bike was going to divide opinion, even more than the ventum, then this is it

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭rodneyr1981

stop the lights

Andean-White-Paper_pdf.jpg

Andean-White-Paper_pdf2.jpg

http://aerogeeks.com/2016/09/14/diamondback-andean-first-look/

if ever a bike was going to divide opinion, even more than the ventum, then this is it

Some crack going over the speed bumps on that bad boy..

cross winds would be, well, interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Is it actually April 1st and I've slept for six months??

BTH wrote: »
    Is it actually April 1st and I've slept for six months??

see here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=101043479&postcount=4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Kurt_Godel

Who else thought "battery" when they saw that storage compartment??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Love it.

Advertisement