Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zero rentals in Limerick?

• 31-08-2016 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi!

I arrived last night from France and started looking for accomodation in Limerick. I'm looking to 1 or 2 bedroom appartments ideally. Budget 750 euros. If I cannot find anything I will house share (if I can find any, of course)

Today I've been to 8 lettings agencies and they ALL had nothing? This seems so crazy and scary to me! Is this normal? I look on Daft and Rent.ie also. I also checked the Limerick Post. Do you know any other way I could found out about lettings?

I'm starting work soon and I hope I will find something by then...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 FearlessChick

An additional questions please:

In general, for a 2 bedroom appartment, how much are the bills per month? For 1 person living in it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

There isn't really anything even if you are ready to pay a lot more.

Limerick is going through quite a big change at the moment. A friend of mine was renting out a room in a house, and there was a queue of people outside hoping to see it. It has never been like this before. I think the reason is because a number of big new businesses have recently set up in the city, and it's put a big demand on the residential sector.

Where exactly do you want to live? Will you be working or studying?

Zulutango,

I will be working in the city center. Yesterday I got a viewing for a place in Dooradoyle but I realized it's pretty far from where I will work. And didn't like the place that much.

Also do you know, on average, how much the bills would be for a person living alone?

The bills very much depend on the place. As a general rule, if the house has electric heating then this can be quite expensive. If it is gas heating, then the heating bill is usually ok. Also the heating cost depends on how well built the house it. A lot of irish homes, especially those on the rental market, are not well built unfortunately.

Then there is other charges - internet, tv, bins, water. It really depends on what services you choose, how many people are in the house, etc.

I would budget for something like 50 euro per person per month in a typical house with three or four people living there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,670 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Here's one in Pery Square for 600. BER exempt probably means the building is old, and therefore cold, but you might be interested.

http://www.daft.ie/limerick/apartments-for-rent/limerick-city/pery-square-limerick-city-limerick-1651068/

• Advertisement

osarusan wrote: »
    Here's one in Pery Square for 600. BER exempt probably means the building is old, and therefore cold, but you might be interested.

http://www.daft.ie/limerick/apartments-for-rent/limerick-city/pery-square-limerick-city-limerick-1651068/

On that particular issue, old doesn't mean it is necessarily cold. Although many of them have large single glazing windows or cheap and inefficient uPVC windows, the fact that most of these are terraced means they are warmer than you'd expect. If the flat is on an upper floor, with a low ceiling, it may be quite comfortable. I live in such a place and the heating bills are actually fairly low even compared with a modern dwelling.

Hey guys,

Actually contacted the owner of this propertyh this morning and got a viewing. He said he had plenty of others viewers today and tomorrow so I have to wait tomorrow or saturday for a response.

The appartment is on the lower floor (I don't know if you tell it this way) You have to get down some stairs to reach it. But it was really good for one person IMO.

The rent is also very good I could afford this easily.

We'll see!

I have another viewing on Catherine Street for a 2 bedroom also later today.

It appeared to me that it's really hard to get in touch with the agencies/owners to get a viewing. It seems that there are a lot of people looking right now.

Also, I only have my work references (contract and employer letter) not landlord reference (arrived in Ireland two days ago and never here) and ready to pay deposit also. Do you think not having the landlord reference will be a problem for me?

Do you think not having the landlord reference will be a problem for me?

I don't think it will be a problem. They will want a good tenant. If you can show them that you are then you'll be ok.

I found something in the city center! Thank you for your input guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭wigsa100

Unfortunately that's not unreasonable anymore. As Zulutango has said, there simply isn't enough supply to meet the demand so the rents are increasing by a ridiculous amount year on year. You might get a two bed in a kip like Mt Kenneth or Steamboat Quay for 750 a month but anything other than that and you're looking at close to 1,000 or even more. It's heartbreaking I know.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

wigsa100 wrote: »
    Unfortunately that's not unreasonable anymore. As Zulutango has said, there simply isn't enough supply to meet the demand so the rents are increasing by a ridiculous amount year on year. You might get a two bed in a kip like Mt Kenneth or Steamboat Quay for 750 a month but anything other than that and you're looking at close to 1,000 or even more. It's heartbreaking I know.

I was on 700 and went to 850 in April. Thankfully we now have the apartment for another 20 months at that price as I expect it to go to a grand next time around. They could probably get a grand for it now tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

The 2 bed apartment I was paying 750 for 2 years lease, when I left it went back on daft for 1000.

You're looking at 950-1000 for a decent place. That was Dublin prices only a few years ago.

Things have gone crazy now it has to be said. A few more complexes need to be built in the city centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

Irish_rat wrote: »
    The 2 bed apartment I was paying 750 for 2 years lease, when I left it went back on daft for 1000.

You're looking at 950-1000 for a decent place. That was Dublin prices only a few years ago.

Things have gone crazy now it has to be said. A few more complexes need to be built in the city centre.

No building for a decade. Things have not gone crazy at all. It's just a grotesque failure on behalf the government and private business, mainly banking, to provide finance for housing. It's failure on a monumental scale and causing untold misery for lots of people.

Advertisement