Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Learner permit

• 31-08-2016 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I just recently applied for my learner permit and had a few problems with it and was just wondering how long it takes to come

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Megxvb wrote: »
    I just recently applied for my learner permit and had a few problems with it and was just wondering how long it takes to come

Unusually around 14 days if I'm correct it's supposed to be 10 days but it's always seems to go over

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Megxvb

It's been six weeks already and still haven't got it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

When you say you had problems, do you mean there was a discrepancy? If that was the case, it will have gone to the back of the queue after being resolved. If you're under pressure to get it then the best thing to do is call them and ensure that everything is now full resolved and let them tell you if and when it will be printed and posted to you.

At this point, there's a good chance that it's been lost in the post. If that's the case, you can call them and verify if and when it was dispatched and verify that the address issued was correct. If it's simply lost in the post, another will be issued straight away.

It's definitely a good idea to call at this stage as there is a time limit to when it can be considered lost in post. If it goes much later, it may be considered possible to have been received by you and lost and you're unlikely to get a free replacement and you'd have to make a new application for a lost licence and pay €35

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

6 weeks ?? :confused: id be up to the NDLS if i was you , had mine in 11 working days .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

I want to get 3 learner permit moped "A 1 ". ..125 cc. Myself & missus and 15 year old .. I have the theory test ready to apply...my question is do I need 3 eyesight reports? First permit for 15 yr old ..I think he needs one ...I and missus have B licence for 30 yrs ...do we need eyesight report to? Paddy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I want to get 3 learner permit moped "A 1 ". ..125 cc. Myself & missus and 15 year old .. I have the theory test ready to apply...my question is do I need 3 eyesight reports? First permit for 15 yr old ..I think he needs one ...I and missus have B licence for 30 yrs ...do we need eyesight report to? Paddy
    I'm having trouble following you. Are you saying yourself, your partner and a 15 year are all looking for learner permits for category A1?

First of all, I know that people under 16 may take the theory test in anticipation of getting a learner permit but the minimum age for category A1 and AM (and category W) is 16 years old.

As regards eye tests, yourself and your missus will be fine as long as nothing has changed with either yours or her eyesight that requires the 01 notation ('must wear corrective lenses') to be removed from your licence. For example, if one of you had laser surgery and no longer needs glasses.

The only other spin I'll put on if is this; the 15/16 year old is limited by their age in terms of what categories s/he can hold whereas yourself and your missus aren't. At your age, you can get a learner permit for any category of motorcycle with any power or cc without any restrictions (you only have to be over 24 to get this learner category). I'm sure you know at this point that all three of you will have to take 16 hours of Initial Basic Training (IBT) to validate your learner permit categories otherwise you're riding without a valid licence (and probably insurance). To me, it seems wasteful to complete 16 hours of training and pay maybe €500 a head only come out with a valid scooter category.

If I were, you and your missus, if you have any graw for riding motorcycles or larger scooters, I'd consider taking IBT on the school's 'A' category bikes and come away with IBT for the 'A' category which allows you to ride any motorcycle including the scooter- it's probably still the same cost of time and money for training for the scooter alone. If you get as far taking a test, you can borrow a school bike and pass the 'A' test and you never have to worry about whether you have a licence to cover a particular motorcycle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

Thks for quick reply. Re eyesight. Nothing had changed on my full. Do I not need a eyesight report? The missus has had a " must wear glasses, " for years on her full...no other change in her eyesight ..does she need eyesight report. Young lad never had any licence as he is only 15 ..he needs one I understand. We have a 50 cc moped and love tipping around ..its slightly underpowered ..I don't like bikes had 550 cc years back ...got rid...all I want is 125 moped...we will trade it in (the 50 cc) after.. young lad gets a bit of experience on the 50cc.. It does seem wasteful and is! I only want to do the test (as quickly as I can) on a 125 cc moped..(automatic)
    One last thing ...can you carry a pillon after you pass the test ...or do you have to wait a period of time ..thks a mill..paddy

Just to add... We have the ,50cc licence under the full licences.. For moped at mo...

Advertisement