Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prepare border for hibernation

Options
  • 31-08-2016 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys

I have had a very successful first year with my border inside my front wall with blooming rose bushes etc. I am very happy with it :-)

So i am going to proceed to plant tulips / daffodils at the very front in the next few weeks so we will have something for spring

My question is, do i leave all the other flowers currently there to die back naturally ? WHen i planted the flowers i planted them using a good bit of compost - do i need to add more next spring ? Or do i just keep it tidy, dig the soil every few weeks to stop moss growing and let nature take its course next spring ?

Thanks for any help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,451 ✭✭✭✭looksee

It depends on what kind of plants they are. Do you have any names? Are they perennials?

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭sunnyday1234

two rose bushes , 1 hydrangae , 3 greens (mini trees, maybe conifers?) - and i dont know what the last two are to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

Leave nature take it's course with the plants. Mulch the ground around them, bark chips are ideal, to stop weeds and keep it tidy looking. Roses and hydrangea are hardy plants won't need fleece or anything to protect them. Plant the bulbs according to the instructions and you should be good to go next spring.
    Maybe plant a couple of heathers if you want winter colour but it's up to you.

ok thanks for the help

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

Would bulbs grow through the much?

• Advertisement

yeah - i wont be putting mulch where the bulbs are

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

Hi Guys

I have had a very successful first year with my border inside my front wall with blooming rose bushes etc. I am very happy with it :-)

So i am going to proceed to plant tulips / daffodils at the very front in the next few weeks so we will have something for spring

My question is, do i leave all the other flowers currently there to die back naturally ? WHen i planted the flowers i planted them using a good bit of compost - do i need to add more next spring ? Or do i just keep it tidy, dig the soil every few weeks to stop moss growing and let nature take its course next spring ?

Thanks for any help

Forget hibernation -
    Winter "bedding" - primula, cyclamen and pansy can/will flower through the winter.
    And as above heather and more heather and maybe a few erica too ;).
    You can go more long term and bigger with the likes of winter flowering jasmine and witch hazel.
    Before putting them in plant the bulbs for spring - crocus and snowdrop usually first up, daffodil, tulip, iris, fritillaries and and and...

Have a look over the local gardens and garden centers - there are loads of plants that can brighten a winters day!

And if the bulbs can grow up throught the soil why would you think some mulch would stop them? ;).

Advertisement