Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tenant offered to move in and has pulled out at the last minute.help!

Options
  • 31-08-2016 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I've a shared apartment with a room to let.

Tenant was supposed to move in this week.

told landlady to contact him but she only did yesterday after 3 days.

Tenant assumed the room had been let and has now gone and got an apartment elsewhere as the landlady left it for 3 days.

What are my options with a week left to renew?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Stick it back up on Daft. If its in a "demand" area you should have no problem getting someone within a day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

The situation sounds confusing, are you renting the whole apartment where you have permission to sublet? Or is the landlady renting out individual rooms to people? If the former then why is the landlady the one following up on tenants? If the latter then it shouldn't be your concern as you should only have to pay for your room regardless of if the other is let or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 ladabouttown

So i advertise it on daft.
    But she messed up by not ringing the other tenant back and has left me with a deadline of 5 days to get someone in.

I've since had words with her and said i will move out in a week with full deposit back if i don't get someone.

I've since had words with her and said i will move out in a week with full deposit back if i don't get someone.

:rolleyes: good luck with that. You don't seem to be very well informed about the current situation for renters in Dublin so just take Kaiser's advice, put the ad back up on Daft and you'll find another person quickly enough.
    I asked the landlady could i choose the other tenant as i have to live with them. So i advertise it on daft.

If your landlady is nice enough to let you choose your roommate, I suspect she'll be nice enough to not charge you if it takes 10 days, instead of 5, to find a roommate. Get looking.

And if you want to be responsible for finding the other person, take responsibility for making sure they know they've got the room. People are desperate and would be delighted to have a quick answer rather than this faffing about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

But she messed up by not ringing the other tenant back and has left me with a deadline of 5 days to get someone in.

If you rented the whole apartment with someone else, you are joint and severely liable for the full rent if the other person moved out.

If you are subletting the room to a replacement tenant, you ar responcible for getting the new tenant, not the landlord so if it doesn't work out, you have to pay full rent and give adequate notice if you leave ( I suspect this is the reason why you are concerned about there being only 5 days to get someone)

If you rented a room with a single, seperate agreement with the LL, and the tenant who moved out had a similar seperate agreement, then it is the LL responcibility to find a new tenant and he/she can rent it to any suitable applicant without your approval, if he/she was allowing you to pick who you share with, that was good of him her.

So which is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭SteM

You 'had words with her'. If I was the landlord I'd be happy if you moved out from the sounds of you.

Only 2 Viewings 2 days before deadline.
    I wouldn't say i live in a high demanding area in dun laoire.
    And in response to current rental market.
    I'm very well informed on the housing situation and lack of it.
    Anyway, fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

Happy to tell you whats wrong with your add if you want to post a link.

2 viewings for a room to rent in south dublin, id expect about 200 enquries in 2 days..based on adds ive recently placed..so you are doing something wrong.

Either way as a signatory to the lease for the apartment/house as opposed to the room you are responsible for rent for the apartment/house..so you better hurry finding a tenant or else youll be out of pocket pretty soon.

Very strange rule
    any other way of sending it to you Baby01032012

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

Very strange rule
    any other way of sending it to you Baby01032012

Thanks for sending on.

Nothing wrong with ad per se. 1125 views, how many enquires? How much is full rent for the apartment. 700 is on the upper end of the market for a room. Only 3 other ads out of 22 with a double room in that area are 700. Maybe pricing yourself out of the market.

As for the strange rule... What's strange about signing a legal contract and expecting you can just walk away from your responsibilities under it. You and the other person are jointly liable. The law does give you the opportunity to find someone to take his place once it's a reasonable replacement. However the landlord can't and shouldn't be out of pocket. Alternatively you could ask landlord nicely if ye can pull out and he find new tenants where you will be liable for any rent until a suitable tenant is found plus readvertising cost.

• Advertisement
Advertisement