Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards NFL Draft Kings

• 31-08-2016 4:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭

Draft Kings is a way to play single gameweek Fantasy Football in a tournament setting for money.

Everyone enters into a tournament and puts together a roster for a single gameweek. Overlap of players is allowed, but you are restricted by a wagebill. Better players command higher wages, to force players to seek value picks. So very similar to the Sky Sports fantasy football format, if anyone has ever played that. You score points pretty much exactly as you do in regular fantasy football, but rather than compete in a head to head with one other team, you compete against all teams that join a specific tournament.

The tournament structures and payouts would be a lot like online poker. There is a lobby with all available tournaments at any given time. Each tournament has a deadline to join, a limit to how many people can play, a buyin fee and a payout structure.

Here's an example tournament:

395811.png

Buy-in: $5
    Max players: 50
    Payout: $9 if you finish in the top 25

This tournament format is 50/50, so there's no incentive to finish any higher than 25. Other tournaments tier the payout, the higher up you finish.

Here's an example of another tournament with a tiered payout:

Buy-in: $10
    Max players: 40
    Payout: 1st: $100, 2nd: $60, 3-5th: $40, 6-9th: £20

395812.png

What I propose is that a group of Boards users pool together our knowledge and play each week cooperatively. There are many things to decide on, such as how much we all chip in, how we manage the funds, what sort of tournaments we play in, etc. But could anyone who is interested in principle, please like this post (so I have a convenient list of all usernames) and comment below with any queries or suggestions.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭TOss Sweep

I would be up for it. I use Draftkings often enough and its fun to play

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,026 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I've never used draftkings but I'd definitely be interested.

Just to clarify, the idea is that we pool the money together and all have an input as to what team is picked each week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Yep. That's the idea. We all pitch into a pot at the beginning of the season, and then decide a team each week and enter it into a tournament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Yeah I'd be interested for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭BandMember

I presume that the handiest way to do this would be for everyone to send you the cash via PayPal and then, if there are any winnings, you can just send it back to us that way?

As regards team selection, do we just do a simple "majority rules" or how would we decide on the selection(s)?

They are all minor details though and once they are sorted out, this could actually be a great bit of craic (even if only a few of us sign up) - looking forward to it! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭TOss Sweep

I think the best suggestion would be join the more expensive games if we get lots of people obviously if we say do 10 per week and 20 join you want to join the games between 150-200 for larger payouts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

OK, that's one way we could do it for sure. Though it adds a little bit of extra hassle collecting fees every week off people, and returning the winnings, if any.

Another way is we pool together the pot at the beginning and put a certain percentage into play each week (10 - 15 %), and then just return everyone's cut at the end of the season. This way we don't need to worry about deadlines for financial contributions each week etc.

Yeah, that's what I was saying above - everyone chips in once at the start (people will inevitably lose interest or drop out if we're not doing well. Personally, I'd just forget half the time....:o), the money is used throughout the season and any winnings are returned at the end. If there are any, of course... :pac:

So, with 24 hours to go before the season kicks off, are we going to do this or is there not enough interest?

Advertisement