Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Non turbo diesel after 2008

• 31-08-2016 4:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, due work place change, will have to drive every day from blanch to city center, looking for change a car,as my 01 passat take good bit of fuel.
    Was thinking get non turbo diesel, which made after 2008.
    only found sdi golf 2008, but i believe other makes and models must be out there.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

Mar4ix wrote: »
    Hi folks, due work place change, will have to drive every day from blanch to city center, looking for change a car,as my 01 passat take good bit of fuel.
    Was thinking get non turbo diesel, which made after 2008.
    only found sdi golf 2008, but i believe other makes and models must be out there.

Thanks

Would you not hop on your bike and save even more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

Sitting in traffic so will a diesel.

It's what - about 25km round trip so 125km a week. How much do you think you're going to save exactly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

Sitting in traffic so will a diesel.

It's what - about 25km round trip so 125km a week. How much do you think you're going to save exactly?

Well, i do indeed know how diesel work, so i do expect do some longer run to clear up. Its time to change car anyway. i would keep my passat, but next year will be big problen to insure it, as it will be over 15 years old. even this year insurance was pretty high.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

Is there not a Bus you could use.
    Not joking.

Would you not hop on your bike and save even more.

that was on cards also, but not really fancy get wet and tired in work, as all day will be on foots, and back home will be struglin. I am not such a fit guy :D

• Advertisement

Is there not a Bus you could use.
    Not joking.

Bus and train, both available , but ill leave them as emergency transport, want to be independent from any kind of strikes (soon buses will go on strike) and other delays , etc ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Tbh id just get a petrol car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Something like a Prius would make more sense, a diesel on that run won't be doing any great mpg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

why non turbo ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

Well, i do indeed know how diesel work, so i do expect do some longer run to clear up. Its time to change car anyway. i would keep my passat, but next year will be big problen to insure it, as it will be over 15 years old. even this year insurance was pretty high.

If it's something without a turbo it'll not have a dpf. And you'll also know there's not a huge saving running it cold in and out on a short spin. It's not going to give you any real cost savings when you consider the higher purchase price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

why non turbo ?

I was about to ask the same question :confused: A diesel needs a turbo, otherwise you'll have a rake of torque but zero go all the way through the rev band. You'll have arms of steel from all the gear changes.

If you must have a diesel, I'd recommend the 2005+ Diesel Yaris. Great little car, has a tiny turbo and is fantastic on diesel (Can easily average 48+MPG on the motorway) Downside is a) Its going to be expensive to buy as they hold their value and b) its going to be nigh impossible to find one as they are rare, and a good one even rarer.

For your mileage though, you're spending pounds to try save pennys. False economy. You'd be better off in a small sized petrol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭pajor

Something like a Prius would make more sense, a diesel on that run won't be doing any great mpg.

Prius or any hybrid would probably be a good choice. My choice would be something small, petrol and automatic.

Just an example: https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2012-volkswagen-polo-automatic/12481031

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

ironclaw wrote: »
    I was about to ask the same question :confused: A diesel needs a turbo, otherwise you'll have a rake of torque but zero go all the way through the rev band. You'll have arms of steel from all the gear changes.

If you must have a diesel, I'd recommend the 2005+ Diesel Yaris. Great little car, has a tiny turbo and is fantastic on diesel (Can easily average 48+MPG on the motorway) Downside is a) Its going to be expensive to buy as they hold their value and b) its going to be nigh impossible to find one as they are rare, and a good one even rarer.

For your mileage though, you're spending pounds to try save pennys. False economy. You'd be better off in a small sized petrol.

1.4 D4D Corolla is the same. Very very very good engine without the troubles of a DMF or DPF!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

ironclaw wrote: »

sure if its a reliability thing, people would want to get over themselves, turbo's fail, it happens. They should start being considered a limited life part like an alternator or starter motor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Think the Citroen c1/Peugeot 107 had a 1.4 non turbo diesel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,825 ✭✭✭✭bear1

You are looking for a diesel car to go from blanch to the city centre.
    Seriously?
    And an sdi of all diesels are just utter slow.
    Get yourself a 1.2 punto and be done with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭pajor

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Think the Citroen c1/Peugeot 107 had a 1.4 non turbo diesel.

The Citroen C1 did. But I don't think it was sold in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

pajor wrote: »
    The Citroen C1 did. But I don't think it was sold in Ireland.

The three of them did (in the first generation model, the current ones are petrol only even in mainland Europe), but I believe they were LHD only (they certainly were towards the end of their production run anyway).

I know the diesel had only 55 bhp, but it was a PSA DV4 engine so it would have had a turbo and common rail injection.

Advertisement