Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puncture-proof Tyres

Options
  • 31-08-2016 4:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hello guys,

I recently bought this a Trek 7.3 Hybrid - sorry I can't attach a link.

Could someone recommend any puncture-proof tyres, I used to have gator-skins a few years back.

(The size is 700 x 32c)

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

IAmTheWasp wrote: »
    Hello guys,

I recently bought this a Trek 7.3 Hybrid - sorry I can't attach a link.

Could someone recommend any puncture-proof tyres, I used to have gator-skins a few years back.

(The size is 700 x 32c)

Marathon plus are pretty much bomb proof but heavy, Marathon Supremes are lighter, roll better but somewhat less puncture resistant and quite expensive. I run Marathon Supremes and usually get 1-2 punctures per year over ~5000km mostly rural. For city use, I'd go Marathon plus, particularly if using cycle lanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭boardbeer

IAmTheWasp wrote: »
    The only puncture-proof (as opposed to puncture-resistant) tyres are Tannus. I've been commuting on them for more than a year, and they've been great, all weathers, all kinds of crap in the road.

Joe'll sort you out at Dublin Loves Bikes (York Rd, Dun Laoghaire).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

to add on the schwalbe marathon plus, both myself and mrs spuckler have been using them daily on our commutes for close to 7 years with no dreaded punctures in that entire time.

they are tough to put on, plastic tyre levers will not do the job for you, but once you keep them well inflated you shouldn't need to be taking them off very often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

I use Schwalbe Duranos and have never had a puncture. No tyres are completely puncture proof but keep them pumped up (for those tyres at least 100psi) and a good tyre and you'll be grand. Gatorskins are good too but I don't like them in the wet - much prefer the Duranos.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,999 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

slightly off topic, but how long should one get out of a set of road bike tyres?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

I usually buy these.Not puncture proof but resistant,plus they're cheap and I cycled ten miles with a rear puncture one day without any damage to the tyre or the rim. http://www.wiggle.co.uk/continental-tourride-city-road-tyre/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Seve OB wrote: »
    slightly off topic, but how long should one get out of a set of road bike tyres?

How long is a piece of string?

A decent tyre, always pumped up hard, should last anything from 2000-10,000km. But it depends on the roads you're on - tarmac is lower wear, gravel or cement is higher wear - and the tyre itself - Marathon (up to 10k) or Durano (7k) will last longer than Lugano* (3k) - and that's just Schwalbe tyres.

But the main thing it to always pump it up the recommended pressure - for 700*32 which I use I never have them less than 100psi. If it's too low then there's more wear on the tyre.

Check the tyres every time you clean the bike (you do clean it right? :D) and look for signs of wear.

* pieces of crap that come on a lot of bikes - take them off and throw them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭AmboMan

I've been using Clement X'Plor USH Tyre for a year, daily Dublin commute 30Km, still look new and no punctures, I'm 110Kg !

Orion wrote: »
    I use Schwalbe Duranos

Durano or Durano Plus? I used Durano plus on the road bike and find them very good with minimal puncturing, normal Durano don't have the samle level of puncture protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,999 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Orion wrote: »
    How long is a piece of string?

A decent tyre, always pumped up hard, should last anything from 2000-10,000km. But it depends on the roads you're on - tarmac is lower wear, gravel or cement is higher wear - and the tyre itself - Marathon (up to 10k) or Durano (7k) will last longer than Lugano* (3k) - and that's just Schwalbe tyres.

But the main thing it to always pump it up the recommended pressure - for 700*32 which I use I never have them less than 100psi. If it's too low then there's more wear on the tyre.

Check the tyres every time you clean the bike (you do clean it right? :D) and look for signs of wear.

* pieces of crap that come on a lot of bikes - take them off and throw them out.

Yep I clean her. Prob not as often as I should or would like to, but that's what I get for having kids....... No time to do anything!

I must check out my Garmin to see how many kms I've racked up. My tyres seem decent enough but they were the ones which came on it, I'm not sure of brand. I pump her up to 120 generally but probably don't check it often enough. I have had a few punctures (thankfully none in a good while now) so when the time comes to change tyre I'm interested in upgrading my tyres to something that might be a bit more indestructible!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I use the Durano plus myself. I've cut through to the blue layer in a good few places, all probably guaranteed punctures with a standard tyre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

boardbeer wrote: »
    The only puncture-proof (as opposed to puncture-resistant) tyres are Tannus. I've been commuting on them for more than a year, and they've been great, all weathers, all kinds of crap in the road.

Got a set of these for my son last week in Dun Laoghaire. He is very happy so far.

just as a matter of interest what are they like for you after a year. What sort of mileage to date and how are they wearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

did your new Trek not come with the thick heavy Bontrager tyres? I had a pair of these on a Trek FX and they seemed immune to punctures. They are slow but they are pretty tough.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 46 Two and one

How much are we talking about for these puncture proof tyres?

How much are we talking about for these puncture proof tyres?

expensive. €70 each to include fitting. Supposedly good for 10,000kms though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 46 Two and one

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    expensive. €70 each to include fitting. Supposedly good for 10,000kms though.

Hmmm yeah expensive but it could be worth it. It depends where you're cycling but regular punctures are common on my route.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I ran Michelin Pro4 Service Course tyres for a number of years puncture free, there is a V2 out now but I haven't had any experience with them although they are supposed to be even more puncture resistant that the previous version.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Schwalbe Ultra Marathon Plus's a decent price on CRC at the moment:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/schwalbe-marathon-plus-road-tyre-smart-guard/rp-prod24544

I've gotten 5k+ from my ultra marathon on the rear with no punctures commuting through Dublin. Great tire. I do like GP4000s II's though, but the schwalbe are definitely a step up in terms of protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭V-man

Sounds like interesting "solid" tires!
    Commute year round on my ebike, and very happy with my Schwalbe Marathon Plus.
    +/_ 5000 km so far on them without too much wear and tear.
    Big pro for me is that they are e-bike certified up to 50 kph, have lots of grip in all weather conditions combined with good rolling resistance.
    One con, they are heavy weight however extremely suited to a fully loaded e-bike on speed.
    Needless to say I did not encounter any punctures (knock on wood).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

100psi in a 32mm tyre? Why? That's really really high. Toured on Panaracer Paselas at 70ish psi and n'er a puncture.

FWIW Schwalbe recommend 65-85psi for a 32mm tyre

• Advertisement

Mycroft H wrote: »
    FWIW Schwalbe recommend 65-85psi for a 32mm tyre

Put some 26"x1.5" (37mm) Marathon Greens on my daughters bike last night and I was surprised to see 40-100psi on the side. She's light so I put 60/50 back front, but even then they feel rock hard. I've 700x32 Marathon Supremes on my own bike and they'er 65-90psi. I reckon the e-bike ready range can take higher pressures.

just as a matter of interest what are they like for you after a year. What sort of mileage to date and how are they wearing.

No sign of wear that I can see, with over 12,000km on them (i don't get much more than a year out of Schwalbe Marathon Pluses).
    Before I got them I was concerned about:
    1. Are they really firmly attached to the rim? (they are)
    2. Grip, esp. in the wet (much the same as Marathons: maybe slightly slippier on metal/paint)
    3. Would they feel heavy/slow? (no more than Marathons)

Also, I went for the hard option, supposed to be equivalent of 100psi, but feels harder. No idea what the softer ones are like.

So for me, they are a no-brainer for commuting, no need to carry tools/spares, no swerving to avoid glass (lots of that on my commute), no checking if inflated enough. I expect that, like with LED spotlights, I'll save money in the long term.

(Tannus solid tyres)

No sign of wear that I can see, with over 12,000km on them (i don't get much more than a year out of Schwalbe Marathon Pluses).
    2. Grip, esp. in the wet (much the same as Marathons: maybe slightly slippier on metal/paint)

Also, I went for the hard option, supposed to be equivalent of 100psi, but feels harder. No idea what the softer ones are like.

So for me, they are a no-brainer for commuting, no need to carry tools/spares, no swerving to avoid glass (lots of that on my commute), no checking if inflated enough. I expect that, like with LED spotlights, I'll save money in the long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

(Tannus solid tyres)

Hmmmm, I'll have to consider a set of these whenever I feel like changing my tires. Thanks for the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Totally unrelated but non-thread make worthy because it's such a moronic question but I need help.

I bought a new set of vitoria randonneur tyres as I've only had 1 puncture in 10 months commuting and they are cheap. The new set of tyres seem to have like a huge flap on the sidewall in comparison to my old ones, haven't tried to fit them yet as no need to change the old ones so far. Size is same 700x25c but what is the story with the sidewall? Have I bought tyres for a different wheel type or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭jacob2

bought two tyres from lidl last year 700c size it stated on the box that they were puncture protection still going strong a year later nice one lidl havent seen them in this year for 5 euro each they were a bargain should got 4 of them u live and learn wats good and wats not

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭WMP

I use these and am really happy with them - Continental Speed Ride Puncture ProTection Folding Tire 28x1.6 Inch. You can get them for 15 euro. I bought the 42-622 as my commute is off road so the surface is rough with loose stones, small tree branches etc. I have over 2000km on them this year and not one puncture.

I used the marathon plus before and still have them on my around town bike but they are too heavy for use over my commuting distance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

so are tannus worth investing in??

very expensive, anyone use them for over a year do they last the distance?

philstar wrote: »
    so are tannus worth investing in??

very expensive, anyone use them for over a year do they last the distance?

Strangely enough I am getting a pair fitted tonight. Do 200kms a week commuting in Dublin so about 8 or 9K a year. I will provide regular reports!!

My son has been using them for last 2 months. Had a look at them yesterday for the first time and they look as new. Probably about 1000kms on them..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Let's call a spade a spade here...

The only truly puncture proof tyre on the market are the Marathon plus... they are bomb proof. Like all puncture proof tyres, they are slippy so requires more care in wet.

Most other tyres have various degrees of puncture resistance but not puncture proof.

Advertisement