Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puncture-proof Tyres

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

but tannus tyres are puncture proof...they're solid rubber

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

philstar wrote: »
    but tannus tyres are puncture proof...they're solid rubber

Solid tyres? :eek:

No thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

^^^^^^^^^

why?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

^^^^^^^^^

why?

I don't buy the comfort claim

...probably because I've got memories of solid tyres on my first bicycle when I was 4 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

jon1981 wrote: »
    Let's call a spade a spade here...

The only truly puncture proof tyre on the market are the Marathon plus... they are bomb proof. Like all puncture proof tyres, they are slippy so requires more care in wet.

Most other tyres have various degrees of puncture resistance but not puncture proof.

Well my only experience of them was commuting a number of years ago (700c x 25c) and I got a heavy duty metal staple into the side wall. The disadvantage of Marathon plus is when trying to fix a puncture at side of road. Lots of grunting and sweating and possibly a broken tyre lever or 2..

So while they are good they are not infallible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭boardbeer

Let's call a spade a spade here...

The only truly puncture proof tyre on the market are the Marathon plus... they are bomb proof. Like all puncture proof tyres, they are slippy so requires more care in wet.

Most other tyres have various degrees of puncture resistance but not puncture proof.
    My wife's last puncture was a Marathon Plus, a shard of shattered car disk-brake. On the other hand, I pulled a horse shoe nail out of a Tannus, embedded up to the head, and rode on. That is puncture proof.

I don't buy the comfort claim
    I wouldn't claim they are particularly comfortable: I've the 'hard' option, and as I said, it feels like a skinny road tyre pumped to 110psi. I've not tried the medium hardness, I don't ride for comfort, got a sofa for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

so are tannus worth investing in??

very expensive, anyone use them for over a year do they last the distance?
    I have a pair of 23's fitted to my fixie/single speed and have about 3,000kms on them. Delighted with them to date. Comfort is reasonable but I've never done more than 120k on a single ride (but then that's a combination of one gear and solid tyres - will obviously be easier in a multi geared bike). Showing very little sign of wear.
    boardbeer wrote: »
    ... I've the 'hard' option, and as I said, it feels like a skinny road tyre pumped to 110psi....
    In my opinion they are more like an ordinary tyre at 150psi. When I use one of my other bikes they feel exceptionally comfortable at my usual 110psi in comparison to my commuter.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

do those tannus tyres need to be specially fitted or can any joe put them on??

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

fryup wrote: »
    It is possible but I wouldn't even attempt it - they are exceptionally tight fitting. Most bike shops won't even attempt to fit them.

• Advertisement

I've fitted three so far, not really hard if you watch a youtube video or two first. I've had more trouble with some Marathon+/rim combinations.
    When I had a wheel replaced earlier in the year, the bike shop removed and replace the tyre no problem, although it was the first they'd ever seen.
    Joe at DLB has a machine for it tho, that makes it very quick & simple.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

How much does he charge?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

How much does he charge?

The fitting is included in the price of the tyre. Takes about 1 hour.

Not sure how much he would charge for transferring.

They are currently out of stock (700 x 23) as I was supposed to go down and get 2 last night..

how long are tannus tyres on the market anyway??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

What is wet grip like with them?

Plastik wrote: »
    What is wet grip like with them?
    About the same as something like a Schwalbe Marathon: I avoid whites lines and metal plates as I would with all tyres. They were grand through last winter, and my first off was this morning - in the dark I didn't see the local farmer had coated the road with mud, topped off with the drizzle: worse than ice! Only Nokians would have saved me.

I pulled a horse shoe nail out of a Tannus, embedded up to the head, and rode on. That is puncture proof.
    found out a picture, wouldn't want this in a pneumatic tyre:
    397811.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

About the same as something like a Schwalbe Marathon:

Which translates to "shoite" from my experience :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Alek wrote: »
    Which translates to "shoite" from my experience :P

my only off on years of commuting on marathons was on ice last year when i tapped the front brake on a bike i hadn't ridden in ages. the brakes were much tighter than those on the bike i had ridden the previous day!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

From my Marathon Plus days I remember numerous sketchy stops (white lines, manhole covers etc) and at least 3 slow speed falls when simply turning the bike on a mossy / wet surface... Maybe it was more me than the tyres back then, but the impression remains. Never had slippier tyres than that until got hold of Vittoria Hypers, great ones otherwise :)

• Advertisement

Looks like the solid tyre market is expanding. This from Specialized:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HW-zaupvBrk

Even comes with tread, so no danger of aquaplaning for those of us who frequently hit 160kph+ in the wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Looks like the solid tyre market is expanding. This from Specialized:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HW-zaupvBrk

Even comes with tread, so no danger of aquaplaning for those of us who frequently hit 160kph+ in the wet.

Must admit that I'm very tempted to try these.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I'm really tempted by a set of Tannus tyres. I've a nice road bike sitting in the garage that I had to give up using after two months as I got a puncture every time I rode it. 150 euros to never get a puncture or have that dread of finding one when you're running late for work would definitely be worth it, as well as making my initial investment usable again.

There's nowhere near me that sells them though, so I'd need to order online from Belgium and fit them myself. For anyone who has done it themselves, how long does it take and does the tool come with the tyres when you buy them?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I'm really tempted by a set of Tannus tyres. I've a nice road bike sitting in the garage that I had to give up using after two months as I got a puncture every time I rode it.

Somethings up there. [Under inflation, bad fitting, shíte tyres]

Armadillos are all you need. Run them to the bone and still impenetrable. Broken bottles are all too common on the last leg of my commute and yet on they roll.

ED E wrote: »
    Somethings up there. [Under inflation, bad fitting, shíte tyres]

Armadillos are all you need. Run them to the bone and still impenetrable. Broken bottles are all too common on the last leg of my commute and yet on they roll.

I've tried everything.

It first happened 8 years ago when I got a 'gift' of a used racer - punctures every day. I changed tubes, tyres, tape, the wheels even but still just kept puncturing.

Last year I said I'd give it a go again but the exact same thing kept happening. I was at 7 bars, checked ever time I went out (tried higher and lower as well for the sake of it) but no improvement.

Maybe Armadillos would be better, but at 40 euros a tyre it's close enough to the price of the Tannus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭flatty

I've tried everything over the
    years, money irrelevant. Schwalbe marathon plus on the commuter, and durano on the road bike every time.
    They are the best tyres you'll get for puncture resistance.
    They are difficult to put on. Tbh I just get the shop to fit them as I can't be bothered, but they are worth every cent and more.

Even the strongest tyre won't prevent snakebite punctures though, will they?

I'm really tempted by a set of Tannus tyres. There's nowhere near me that sells them though, so I'd need to order online from Belgium and fit them myself. For anyone who has done it themselves, how long does it take and does the tool come with the tyres when you buy them?
    If you can't get to Joe's shop (DLB in Dun Laoghaire), he'll post them out to you - got my last set within 24hrs.
    I'm pretty good at fitting them now, having kitted-out my roadie as well as replacing the set on my commuter. Watch a couple of youtube videos, but I do it like this:
    • push all the clips in so they are all slightly protruding from the same side (a tedious process)
    • pull the tyre over the rim and engage the protruding clips under the rim
    • use the (supplied) tool and a hefty palm to knock the other side of the clips into place.
    • Fit and ride and ensure you cannot see the colour of the clips anywhere (knock in if any) and ensure it looks even.
    I'm offering to fit them for colleagues at work now, thats how easy it gets...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

The best thing about Tannus tyres is that you really don't have to worry about them. There's no pressures to check before you go and no chance of a flat on the journey.
    I've had no sketchy moments in the wet (yet), but I treat anything that isn't tarmac on the road like a landmine, and avoid. The ride is definitely more harsh, but that is amplified in my case - swapping between an all aluminium commuter with the Tannus fitted and an all carbon good bike with GP4000's at 110 psi. There is no way I'd put Tannus on my good bike.
    I got Joe at DLB to fit mine.

• Advertisement

If you can't get to Joe's shop (DLB in Dun Laoghaire), he'll post them out to you - got my last set within 24hrs.
    I'm pretty good at fitting them now, having kitted-out my roadie as well as replacing the set on my commuter. Watch a couple of youtube videos, but I do it like this:
    • push all the clips in so they are all slightly protruding from the same side (a tedious process)
    • pull the tyre over the rim and engage the protruding clips under the rim
    • use the (supplied) tool and a hefty palm to knock the other side of the clips into place.
    • Fit and ride and ensure you cannot see the colour of the clips anywhere (knock in if any) and ensure it looks even.
    I'm offering to fit them for colleagues at work now, thats how easy it gets...

Sounds like it should be doable with a mate who's a bit of a pro at this sort of stuff. There's not a single retailer in France for these, closest is Barcelona.

Advertisement