Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puncture-proof Tyres

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Even the strongest tyre won't prevent snakebite punctures though, will they?

You shouldn't be getting snakebite punctures if your tyres are properly inflated. Are you banging into potholes and kerbs?

I've had 1 puncture in 2 years between both my road bikes (commuting and training) and neither has puncture resistant tyres. I dig the embedded debris out about once a week.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

You shouldn't be getting snakebite punctures if your tyres are properly inflated. Are you banging into potholes and kerbs?

I've had 1 puncture in 2 years between both my road bikes (commuting and training) and neither has puncture resistant tyres. I dig the embedded debris out about once a week.

I wouldn't go out of my way to hit them, but you're bound to hit the odd bump every now and again and, given the risk that these kind of pinch flats can occur, the armadillo types don't seem worth the investment to me. I've never actually hit a bump and thought "that's going to be a puncture"; I always just get the lovely surprise when I come back to get the bike after work or in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Without being rude would you be a heavier gent? Really donest make sense to have so many.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

fryup wrote: »
    do those tannus tyres need to be specially fitted or can any joe put them on??
    Theoretically anyone can put them on but it's not easy and the €10 per tyre per fitting is much more practical. (They are excessively tight - it's almost impossible to prise them away from the rim).

Re my earlier post here regarding wear - I've now about 6,000 kms on them on the commuting bike with no real sign or wear.

ED E wrote: »
    Without being rude would you be a heavier gent? Really donest make sense to have so many.

Nah, 80kg for 1m84 on a 60cm frame. I think I asked about this before on boards at the time but didn't get any lightbulb moments. I've asked my mate, who's roughly the same build, to ride it for a few days and see if he feels anything off about it or if it punctures on him. Pretty ****ty thing to ask someone to do, but he's intrigued enough to try :D

• Advertisement

In many kms of cycling I can only recall getting one snakebite puncture and that was after hitting a deep pothole very hard (I was in a group and it wasn't called hence the reason I hit it).

Have you replaced the rim tape and thoroughly checked the spoke ends, inside of rim etc. for any sharp bits?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

Nah, 80kg for 1m84 on a 60cm frame. I think I asked about this before on boards at the time but didn't get any lightbulb moments. I've asked my mate, who's roughly the same build, to ride it for a few days and see if he feels anything off about it or if it punctures on him. Pretty ****ty thing to ask someone to do, but he's intrigued enough to try :D

Edit: Didn't see WA had asked the exact same question. My bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭C3PO

You really shouldn't ever get snakebites if the tyres are properly inflated - given your weight I would use the max printed on the tyres!
    I would consider Tannus for my commute but find Durano Plus's to be bullet proof! I don't think I'd put them on my road bikes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I kept getting punctures having replaced a tube and tyre. I ended up putting heavy duty rim tape on the wheel and it solved the problem. I was using gatorskin tyres after dealing with the inial puncture on my maviks.

C3PO wrote: »
    .... but find Durano Plus's to be bullet proof!...
    Speaking of Durano Plus - got my first puncture in one on the rear recently after 13,000kms on it. Can't argue with that. Ordered a replacement set but only changed the rear. The front is still going strong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭C3PO

Speaking of Durano Plus - got my first puncture in one on the rear recently after 13,000kms on it. Can't argue with that. Ordered a replacement set but only changed the rear. The front is still going strong.

Well it hardly owed you much! ðŸ˜႒

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

I must be tempting fate here. Cycling most days through city centre Manchester and I've avoided punctures so far. I'm only using cheapo Michelin 23c tyres, great grip but no puncture belt.

Do people brush their tyres down every so often? I only pulled a lump of glass out the other morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Mycroft H wrote: »
    Do people brush their tyres down every so often? I only pulled a lump of glass out the other morning.

Just glance at them and check they're rigid every morning. No detailed checking.

Mycroft H wrote: »
    ...Do people brush their tyres down every so often? I only pulled a lump of glass out the other morning.
    Every few days I'll do a full close-up inspection and remove embedded glass, flint etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Every few days I'll do a full close-up inspection and remove embedded glass, flint etc.
    Once a week for me. Well, ideally.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,078 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

kneemos wrote: »
    I usually buy these.Not puncture proof but resistant,plus they're cheap and I cycled ten miles with a rear puncture one day without any damage to the tyre or the rim. http://www.wiggle.co.uk/continental-tourride-city-road-tyre/

I've had great results with the Continental City tyres that came with my Scott bike - just one puncture in 18 months, and that was a thumb tack.

I found a supplier in the UK who will ship the Tannus to France. Think I'll go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

C3PO wrote: »
    given your weight I would use the max printed on the tyres!
    Jaysus! I'm not much lighter and I'd never put the max in them. Considerably less. 25mms at 90psi, 28mms at 85psi (with a rack and pannier on the back).

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭shansey

I never got flats commuting until I moved out to stillorgan, now ive had 6 since Christmas.. as I type I have a creeping feeling i'll go to my bike after work and find another....I'm developing a complex!!:confused:

I finally got my tyres delivered yesterday, but I must have really weird rims as the inside measurement is just 12.5mm and the smallest pins are 17.5, despite it taking a 28mm tyre normally. I'll go nuts if I'm not able to use them.

• Advertisement

Well, this is a sickener. :(
    Do I try send them back and get the 23c ones with 16.5mm clips (which might not even fit, the measurement with a calipers is only 11.6mm) or buy a new set of rims?

Or just sit in a corner crying over my useless bike and tyres and wasted money?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Well, this is a sickener. :(
    Do I try send them back and get the 23c ones with 16.5mm clips (which might not even fit, the measurement with a calipers is only 11.6mm) or buy a new set of rims?

Or just sit in a corner crying over my useless bike and tyres and wasted money?

what colour are the pins as a matter of interest.

Is there any measurement printed on the rim itself.

12.5mm width does sound very small. I am using 23c Tannus on a standard Mavic open pro rim which has an internal width of I think 15 and I am using the yellow pins (18.5mm)

I have orange (17.5), yellow (18.5) and blue (19.5) pins. There's nothing printed on the rim in terms of size.

The detailed cross-section of my wheelrim looks like this:

http://i.imgur.com/pJcxsVJ.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Considering that rim at braking surface is usually 1.5-1.6mm thick (thin?), your pin should be approx (11.6+3.4+3.4mm) - (1.6+1.6mm) = 15.2mm . Do they make pins that short?

I have orange (17.5), yellow (18.5) and blue (19.5) pins. There's nothing printed on the rim in terms of size.

The detailed cross-section of my wheelrim looks like this:

http://i.imgur.com/pJcxsVJ.jpg

Well the outer width of the Mavic is 19.6 so not to different to your outer width so I suspect if you get the first bit of the pin in under the "overhang" you will be able to force in the other end using the orange or yellow pins.

I don't think you are supposed to measure between the narrowest bit but the actual full internal width or else read the measurement off the rim itself which dosent appear to be on yours.

Good luck.

As far as I can tell, no. It's not possible to get the calipers in to measure the actual width where the pin will sit, and the aluminium seems to be quite thick. To give you a visual idea, the orange pin will turn no more than about 30 degrees from vertical.

http://i.imgur.com/gC0mdYU.jpg

As far as I can tell, no. It's not possible to get the calipers in to measure the actual width where the pin will sit, and the aluminium seems to be quite thick. To give you a visual idea, the orange pin will turn no more than about 30 degrees from vertical.

http://i.imgur.com/gC0mdYU.jpg

Yes. Strange. You have probably seen the pictures on the Tannus page so it looks like you do have a narrower rim or one with thicker sidewalls.

Maybe a trip to Dun Laoghaire to ask them to have a look??

Edit: Just noticed your location so DL not an option!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

I have a dental caliper to measure rim wall thickness. All of my wheels had rims walls between 1.5 and 1.7mm when new, afair. .
    metalcalipers_large.png?v=1366733034

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what function do the pins perform?

• Advertisement

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    Yes. Strange. You have probably seen the pictures on the Tannus page so it looks like you do have a narrower rim or one with thicker sidewalls.

Maybe a trip to Dun Laoghaire to ask them to have a look??

Edit: Just noticed your location so DL not an option!!

I compared with another rim which has the same external width of <>19mm and the orange one fits snugly in perpendicular to the rim. It's a crappy old rim I'd be reluctant to commit the tyre to, but I gave it five minutes of trying to lever one part of the tyre inside the rim but there was no way it was fitting. The flat part on the inside of the tyre is <>16mm and it doesn't compress very much so I think this is probably the minimum inside rim measurement necessary for this tyre. It's a pity this is the hardest measurement to actually take.

Absolute best case scenario is that the 23 tyre would fit with the red clips, and I 'only' lose 40 pounds on delivery if they allow an exchange but I have my doubts and could easily end up 200 quid in the hole with nothing but tears to show for it. Trading in the rims seems like the best solution if I can find a place willing to do it.

Advertisement