Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Copy and Paste this bike shelter idea from Dublin City Council?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

I prefer plentiful on street, but if the capacity wouldn't be able to meet demand then I suppose the above makes a lot of sense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭jjpep

Anything at this point would be welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,898 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

It's a good idea if the area is monitored so people can leave bikes safely. The bikes are undercover & the racks could include a locking system.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

For inner city residents, secured is better - I'd be reluctant to leave a bicycle on the street overnight, because I've seen how drunks think it's hilarious to trash them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

More on street racks far and wide throughout the city. You know Aldi Westside has no proper rack to lock up a bike? What about Salthill and what about the bike scheme in Salthill while we're at it? Often times when racks are provided there at the arse-end of the car park. You need racks near the entrances of every major spot (shopping centres, post offices, etc). If you want people on their bike when the weather is muck the least we can do is make it convenient to encourage more people on a bike. Every time I see a bike locked rather insecurely to a street sign that's a fail. I think all the city centre car parks should be forced to add some racks as a start, but don't forget the rest of the city. One of the big pluses of a bike is getting from city centre to Salthill to Knocknacarra is fast because you aren't walking or stuck in traffic. So I wouldn't want to see too much focus only on the city centre as going to a multi-story and walking isn't as nice as just cycling to where you intend to go. However, getting anyplace at all to lock up your bike would be a good start.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Discodog wrote: »
    It's a good idea if the area is monitored so people can leave bikes safely. The bikes are undercover & the racks could include a locking system.

For me it would be a great feature to have secure bike parking with a locking system included. I often don't bring the bike into town because of lugging the big u-lock in too. It's an expensive enough bike and having had a bike stolen already I wouldn't be comfortable leaving it in the city with a cable lock.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

For inner city residents, secured is better - I'd be reluctant to leave a bicycle on the street overnight, because I've seen how drunks think it's hilarious to trash them.
    That's a good point - have heard that residents in city's that have this secure system use it for this purpose. Saves bringing up stairs/lifts if no facilities exist at ground level.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭topcat77

I've posted this link before regarding bike parking but i really like the idea. i'd have it at the bowling green car park.

https://bicycledutch.wordpress.com/2014/04/10/the-bicycle-apple/

Advertisement