Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland vs Oman aka Robbie's farewell (kick-off 7:45) - live on Eir Sport 1

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

I think his Gerrard-esque dedication to that one haircut throughout out his career also warrants a mention.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭MarcusP12

enzo roco wrote: »
    Your statement is wrong. We will see the like of him again.

He did do the business against the better teams. Look up his record...
    Also you have to remember Ireland went through some bad times during robbie's career, but he still got over 60 goals.

Yeah I have to take issue with the original post here too....whenever someone says that he's only ever done it against the crap teams, I feel like chewing my arm off just so that I have something to beat them over the head with! I read an article somewhere (probably around the time Ireland were playing Germany) and they did a statistical analysis of klosse and robbie's goal record and found that they scored just as many goals each against top teams...over 20 each....it's a non sense claim anyway...are people saying that the "great" strikers of euro, the van nistolroys, van persie's, rooney's, Ronaldo's, ibrahimovic's, to name but a few, just don't bother their arses against the weaker teams? And at the same time they were playing in better teams and higher seeded teams meaning relative to their own countries standards, they played against far more inferior opposition than robbie would have....makes no sense....if anything the fact that he scored so many against the weaker teams to me says that he was just as commited against the weaker teams than the top teams. He just wanted to score goals and didn't matter against who. I applaud that attitude.maybe the higher profile strikers actually couldn't be arsed against the lesser teams because they aren't getting paid 200k a week to put the jersey on?.robbie is a legend and I can never understand why he is so maligned in this country!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭larchielads

Lads I'd love to see rte put a proper tribute to robbie for Xmas. An hour long special, somethin like that.
    Have somethin about his childhood football, school days onto his debut as a pro and for ireland.
    Life in the prem league. Have irish sports people talk about him, his charity work, family talk about him close friends. That type of thing.
    I'm 33 yrs old robbie keane is my generations Maradona type thing. That's what he is to me.
    My cousin got to meet robbie on a number of occasions through robbies work with special olympics ireland. Loads of pictures of the 2 of em.met robbie recently in la at the special Olympic games. Robbie as usual took time to see the lads.
    Meself and me friends had a little joke that robbie was me cousins stalker ha ha. We used to say there's damo and the stalker everytime damo would show us a pic when he met him.
    All in good fun. I'm wellin up thinkin about what robbie has done for me and for all us here on the island.
    I for one would like to say thanks for the memories robbie.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Robbie bowing out in front of an empty stadium to me was nothing short of an embaressment by irish fans. He deserved better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

ricero wrote: »
    Robbie bowing out in front of an empty stadium to me was nothing short of an embaressment by irish fans. He deserved better

were you at the game?

Anyway, first of all this has always been the nature of friendlies in The Aviva

People are busy with work, schools were starting back that day/next morning

Secondly, its not fans fault Delaney et all book the exact same team Oman who are currently 107th in the world rankings for every pre qualifiers game for the past three tournaments!! Why would you want to see that

Why would fans go to a training match and pay 50 quid or whatever to see that as well as the costs associated.

Thirdly Keane only announced he was retiring at that game a few days before.

And lastly 27,000 is hardly nothing. Bastian Schweinsteiger signed off the same night against a much better Finnish team than Oman in Dortmund with an attendance of 30,000. And that is a country with a population of 80 million, an obsessive fan base, a successful team, smaller ticket costs and plenty more disposable income

Perspective. Robbie Keane would have wanted to be very naive to expect a full house and I am sure he wasn't so!

Advertisement