Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

1.6 diesel civics 15 and 161s

• 31-08-2016 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭

beginning to see a few popup on my travels around the country, definately more common than 161 golfs

any users care to share their experiences of the diesel civic ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

i have a 12 2.2 I-DTEC 150 BHP. The 1.6 is 120 BHP. I have only heard good reports on the 1.6 and the fuel economy is supposed to be very good 65-75 mpg.

I like my civic, loads of power. No issues to date as I have it 1.5 years with 100,000 KM on it. It is very deceiving as it is quite roomy inside. Take a look on http://www.civinfo.com/ for a decent forum on the civics from all generations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

So far this year, the Golf is outselling the Civic 10:1, it was 8:1 last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭aidanki

my eyesight must be selective so, seen v few new golfs around limerick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

aidanki wrote: »
    my eyesight must be selective so, seen v few new golfs around limerick

They must be as I've seen very few Civics about in Limerick whereas there are a fair amounts of Golfs. Does Limerick even have a Honda dealer these days?

Edit: Google says Sheil's on the Ennis Road which technically is in Co Clare. :p

The Irish have big love for VW so it would be hard for Civic to outsell the Golf. I was never a fan of VW and would never buy a VW ....very common on the road

• Advertisement

I have a Civic (the older model) and theres no way I'd get a new one. It is just a reskinned 05 model with the new 1.6 diesel and a toned down interior.
    The design is a bit clumsy, and the interior is trying (badly) to be German.
    Golfs are common, but to be fair they are a better all round car.

Well you could hardly say the golfs are not a reskin of the older models. They have been doing it for years. You would have to look at the number plate to get an idea of what version it is.
    I know someone that has the 8 gen and i don't particularly think the design is clumsy and I can't see the similarities to the german cars.

I think it real comes down to what you like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The Irish have big love for VW so it would be hard for Civic to outsell the Golf. I was never a fan of VW and would never buy a VW ....very common on the road

They sold a fair few Civics back in the 1990s and early years of the 2000s but people's requirements and tastes change. You can go in and spec an already generously specced Golf with nearly any option you want in any version. Go into a Honda dealer and he will either have a base model Civic or an overly expensive top spec Civic many don't want or cannot afford. If someone wants a model in between then they could be told it's not available or may have to wait for a few months before the dealer finds one.

At one time the Golf was both expensive and miserably specced but these days they are one of the best equipped cars in their class and are offered with cheap finance so I can see their popularity.

Well you could hardly say the golfs are not a reskin of the older models. They have been doing it for years. You would have to look at the number plate to get an idea of what version it is.
    I know someone that has the 8 gen and i don't particularly think the design is clumsy and I can't see the similarities to the german cars.

I think it real comes down to what you like.

By reskin, I mean all the basic architecture is the same as the outgoing model. To be fair to VW the golf is on an entirely different platform to the mk6 (which was basically a mk5 refresh)
    Honda had the basis of a really good car with the FN/FK Civc, but they half assed the new model.

The forthcoming model is hideous too IMO. But to their credit, they seem to have made an effort this time.

No bother to the germans to horse out the cars and get us to snap them up with cheap finance. I think the germans certainly have taken the lead in this regard and lots of other manufactures have fallen behind. I know someone that is looking at getting a lexus and he has some time to wait to get his wagon so it is not just a honda problem

The problem for Honda is that the dealership numbers are low and they do not push as hard as the VW in regards to the spec and the deals. It really is an issue for Honda and I don't think they will make in roads in the market until they start addressing the dealership numbers, marketing etc

• Advertisement

They have the USA and Asia sorted though, Europe is not the premier league of car markets anymore. As evidenced by the decline of traditional European favourites like working mans coupes, 3 door hatchbacks etc. And it's gonna get worse.

very true in regards to the USA. Honda is very big there and I think that is where their head is. They have stripped away the accord now here and it would appear they want to streamline their process and keep the models to a limited number with engine specs so their popularity is not going to rise.

Advertisement