Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you recommend a good cordless strimmer?

Options
  • 31-08-2016 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭

We have a lawn that has gone unmaintained for a while and has very long grass like a meadow.
    Would there be a good cordless strimmer that I could buy to cut it?
    Can anyone recommend a good one that isn't overly expensive?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭quinnd6

I guess not.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

quinnd6 wrote: »
    I guess not.

Go to a hire shop and hire a petrol one. There's no electric or cordless strimmer that's going to be of any use to you.

As above . Depending on the amount you've to cut a petrol one is by far better I've found.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

quinnd6 wrote: »
    We have a lawn that has gone unmaintained for a while and has very long grass like a meadow.
    Would there be a good cordless strimmer that I could buy to cut it?
    Can anyone recommend a good one that isn't overly expensive?

How big is the area?

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭EdmondShiels3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Do you have an interest in EPT?
    If you are still looking for a table saw for DIY, EPT in Carlow have a good range. https://www.ept-irl.com
    If you are still looking for a drill EPT Carlow have a good range and a great selection of Dewalt drills https://www.ept-irl.com
    If you are looking foe a good dril bit set EPT Carlow have a range of them. https://www.ept-irl.com/600-dril-bits
    If you are looking for a good place to buy tools EPT in Carlow have a hugh range. you can visit their website at http://www.ept-irl.com

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Do you have an interest in EPT?

Looks very dodgy alright

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭EdmondShiels3

No just work for them and they have relaunched their website that all.

So you do have an interest in them!!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Go to a hire shop and hire a petrol one. There's no electric or cordless strimmer that's going to be of any use to you.

This.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Anybody got an unbiased recommendation?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

if its like a meadow, a strimmer with a brushcutter attachment is what you need

buy one if your going to use every year or hire one if using it just once

pricey but good

• Registered Users Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

I had one of those Husqvarna's; when it ran, it was pretty good, however bits of it broke off on a surprisingly regular basis; the choke lever seemed to be particularly touchy and ended up with needing to replace it every year or so. Used it mostly to trim grass in a couple ditches, along with ferns to keep water flowing.

A local that cuts lawns out here claims Husqvarna's cheaped everything down and is living off their reputation.

So, any recommendations for a robust, petrol powered strimmer? Mostly will be used to trim around shrubs and clear weeds in ditches.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

There are good battery powered strimmers but they are more expensive than petrol ones. Strimming really canes the battery so you need a good machine. The obvious ones are made by Stihl.

As for petrol strimmers you can be better off getting a good second hand one than a cheap new one. Personally I depend on my tools so I always go for Stihl. I recently bought a new Stihl Combi - the one it replaced lasted over 12 years of commercial use.

Advertisement