Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Insuring my wife on 2nd 'commercial' vehicle

• 31-08-2016 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

Hi,

We are buying a crewcab vehicle which will be classed as commercial.

I already own and run a van for work with my wife on the policy as a 2nd driver, even though she never drives the van however it was free to do this.

Now I am buying a 2nd vehicle which will be in my name and also used as the main family car but it's classed as commercial so I'm thinking of adding it to my policy and keeping my wife as a second driver, will this be possible and will she be fully comp insured.

My company will own the car but will this matter to her insurance company if she goes to look for her own insurance even ?

Tks for help,

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

If the new vehicle is registered (logbook) to the company then the insurance policy must be under company name..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,607 ✭✭✭✭Esel

cplwhisper wrote: »
    If the new vehicle is registered (logbook) to the company then the insurance policy must be under company name..

Isn't it the case that a vehicle taxed and insured as commercial cannot be used for social, domestic and pleasure purposes?

Not your ornery onager

Once the primary use is declared, builder/engineer/farmer etc then that insurer will allow S,D&P use.... But if the OP is really using the companies money to by a daily car then comm'l is not he right way to go

Once the primary use is declared, builder/engineer/farmer etc then that insurer will allow S,D&P use.... But if the OP is really using the companies money to by a daily car then comm'l is not he right way to go

From a Garda point of view there may well be an issue.

Not your ornery onager

garda will verify what occupation you declared with insurer and if you also asked for Sd&P cover ..

• Advertisement

If u are farmer... And ya need milk for Wee lambs then u Gotta go to shop

Or bringing the lambs to MacDonalds or a birthday party... riiight.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭charleville

I'm a sole trader so the car will actually be in my name, so if I declare that it will be used for SD&P purposes as well as business it should be fine ?

Would she be fully comp on my policy ?

Would her own policy cover her if she wanted to go that route ?

I don't see why people have an issue with trying to get around insurance companies to make the most of your policy (as long as it's legal - If its not then I won't do it) we get shafted by these guys year in year out, if you can get a little back legally then fine with me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

I think the problem now lies where if you are Taxing it commercially that you now have to make the Garda declaration on form RF111A that the vehicle is being used solely for commercial purposes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭doctorchopper

Why not just get open driving on the second policy, i have it on my crewcab and think it was only a extra 50 euro

K.Flyer wrote: »
    I think the problem now lies where if you are Taxing it commercially that you now have to make the Garda declaration on form RF111A that the vehicle is being used solely for commercial purposes.

It's that way for years.
    Some motor tax offices have more requirments to commercially tax a crew cab than just the completed RF111A.

• Advertisement

I've been taxing my van for years and have never had to get a Garda declaration... Is this solely for crew cabs ?

If my wife insures it commercially through her own policy will it make a difference to who owns the vehicle for her to do so ?

Why not just get open driving on the second policy, i have it on my crewcab and think it was only a extra 50 euro

Can you explain a little what you mean by this exactly ?

Do you have 2 policies ?

I've been taxing my van for years and have never had to get a Garda declaration... Is this solely for crew cabs ?
    Needed for first taxation for last good few years.
    If my wife insures it commercially through her own policy will it make a difference to who owns the vehicle for her to do so ?

If she doesn't own it she can't insure it. She doesn't have an insurable interest in it or some such speel.

Augeo wrote: »
    Needed for first taxation for last good few years.

If she doesn't own it she can't insure it. She doesn't have an insurable interest in it or some such speel.

I'm confused now.. As it stands we have a private car (which I own in my name) and she has her own seperate insurance policy which I am a named driver (on her policy), do you know for a fact this is the case ?
    We only bought the current car last year...

No it applies to all commercial vehicles. If you have your current vehicle since before the changes came about, then most most were not asked for it, as I wasn't, but some were.
    Its when you are taxing a vehicle for the first time after you bought it that the declaration is required.
    The declaration still needs to be done when taxing for the first time irrespective of who owns or insures the vehicle.
    There will only be a problem if you get a garda who wants to make a case of the vehicle being used more for private use having been declared as commercial use only. Slim chance maybe of it ever happening, but that's the risk you take.

I'm confused now.. As it stands we have a private car (which I own in my name) and she has her own seperate insurance policy which I am a named driver (on her policy), do you know for a fact this is the case ?
    We only bought the current car last year...

Yes, you can do that on Private Cars, its not a problem, (husband / wife ) I have the same except the other way around. Not sure if you can do it on commercial vehicles though.

I'm confused now.. ........

Ring whoever it's insured with and ask them, spouses personal cars prob ok :)
    Commericals different I imaigne.

I rang my wifes insurance company today and she can take out a commercial insurance with them with me on her policy..
    They never asked what for or anything like that, but happily gave her a quote, also SDP is on it too.

Rang the motor tax office too and they need me to fill out a form and signed by the Gaurds, someone mentioned this earlier can you elaborate what this form is for ?

They also need something from revenue with my business name which is not a problem.

Question is, if the vehicle is in my name but my wife has insurance on it will this matter or not for taxing it ?

K.Flyer wrote: »
    ...........if you are Taxing it commercially that you now have to make the Garda declaration on form RF111A that the vehicle is being used solely for commercial purposes.

Rang the motor tax office too and they need me to fill out a form and signed by the Gaurds, someone mentioned this earlier can you elaborate what this form is for ?

As mentioned, the form is a declaration that you are using the vehicle only for commercial reasons, no social use.

I rang my wifes insurance company today and she can take out a commercial insurance with them with me on her policy..
    They never asked what for or anything like that, but happily gave her a quote, also SDP is on it too.

They most likely will ask when completing the proposal form as different trades or business' carry different loadings.

This is form RF 111A, that you will have to sign to declare that this vehicle is being used solely for commercial purposes and is not going to be used for any social, domestic or pleasure purposes.

RF111A
    Screenshot_2016-09-05-20-47-28-1.png
    Question is, if the vehicle is in my name but my wife has insurance on it will this matter or not for taxing it ?

The tax office can answer that question.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the info guys... Well informed.

Just a quick one though, let's say the vehicle is taxed commercial with no SDP, but my insurance covers commercial and SDP,
    surely it's more important to have the insurance right rather than the tax ?

I understand if stopped by the guards you "might" get into trouble, but if ever we were in an accident or at fault for something then surely insurance would be more important ?

What happens if the guards stop you driving at the weekend etc.

Thanks for the info guys... Well informed.

Just a quick one though, let's say the vehicle is taxed commercial with no SDP, but my insurance covers commercial and SDP,
    surely it's more important to have the insurance right rather than the tax ?

I understand if stopped by the guards you "might" get into trouble, but if ever we were in an accident or at fault for something then surely insurance would be more important ?

What happens if the guards stop you driving at the weekend etc.

The declaration applies for 24 / 7 / 365. The words "..at any time" covers that bit.
    You can be prosecuted and have your vehicle impounded for incorrect tax paid.
    Regardless of what your insurance covers you for, incorrect tax on a vehicle is an offence which is what you are trying to get around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,800 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Have you checked whether taxing as commercial is even worth it ?

I know someone with a Tiguan, and they were going to tax it commercially........turns out private motor car tax was less, not more, as it was emissions based........

Check what your crewcab would cost to tax as a 'non-commercial'. Might be the easiest and cheapest thing. Wouldn't affect your insurance either way.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement