Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laurel Hedge

Options
  • 31-08-2016 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Hi All

Just posting up again (no responses from 1st post, it may have got lost down the bottom) to see if anyone can help me with my Laurel Hedge. I think it is getting eaten by bugs (don't think it is shotgun disease). I don't want to go and spray it with bug killer in case I kill the hedge!

Images attached,

Thanks

J

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭taxusbaccata

Nothing personal Matjay but I'm delighted laurel are being cleared - I think they are terrible looking plants when you think of the beautiful native alternatives. Not much help sorry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Looks like caterpillar damage of some sort, although I would have thought laurel would be a bit too tough to chew for most insects!
    Any sign of caterpillars around? They may have left already though. It'll grow back anyway, like a bad haircut

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Nothing personal Matjay but I'm delighted laurel are being cleared - I think they are terrible looking plants when you think of the beautiful native alternatives. Not much help sorry!

It's personal choice though. I find portuguese laurel very pretty. There are lovely native hedges too though, i agree.

To the OP, i don't think a bug spray would do any harm in any case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

jaffa20 wrote: »
    i don't think a bug spray would do any harm in any case.
    ...except to the lovely native wildlife!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,451 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Kinda looks as though something has been eating it, rather than a disease. I would be inclined to ignore it pretty much. If you can find a few undamaged leaves put a marker on them (bit of string) and watch to see do they 'catch' it. If its bugs they have probably gone by now.

Edit: this crowd http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=103123.0 seem to suggest it is vine weevil.

• Advertisement
Advertisement