Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Damaged bottom bracket shell

Options
  • 31-08-2016 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭

Threads on the frame seem slightly damaged
    So every time I try to thread a (Hollowtech) bottom bracket cup in seems like it damages the threads, so after a few weeks just works its way out

So seems what I need is a screw-together-in-the -middle bottom bracket. I've seen ones that are for square taper cranksets - don;t really want to go back to them

So my question is - it possible to get a Hollowtech type bottom bracket that screws together in the middle?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭JBokeh

If the threads aren't too badly chowdered you may be able to get them repaired by a bike shop with a BB threading and facing tool, it usually works really well on all but the most damaged BB shells.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭clog

JBokeh wrote: »
    If the threads aren't too badly chowdered you may be able to get them repaired by a bike shop with a BB threading and facing tool, it usually works really well on all but the most damaged BB shells.

^^^This,

Some threadlock should also help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Had a similar problem to OP (but threads within 10mm of drive side bb shell were completely destroyed and beyond rethreading) and was just about to use 3M DB420 to epoxy in a BB; HT 2 tend to fail on non drive side much more frequently and planned threading in that cup, leaving me with some chance of servicing it.

Then I found this.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/shimano-saint-bb80-hollowtech-ii-bottom-bracket/rp-prod38345

Longer threads on ds, allowing me to grip inside undamaged threads. Fitted last night and thread locked so might work. If not it's epoxy time!!

My frame isn't expensive, not sure I could epoxy a nice frame

Advertisement