Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone want to make me a Desktop?

Options
  • 31-08-2016 9:54pm

Howdy folks

My computer is great. However, at about 4 years old it's starting to give hassle. I'm currently unable to access it at all as it's stuck in a start up repair loop that I can't get out of.

This is twice in 6 months that it'll have required outside help to get it going again.

I'm gonna get it fixed at retire it to the shed as an entertainment unit rather than my main work and leisure computer.

It was made by a trustworthy boardsie on this forum that ordered the bits off hardwareversand (or whatever theyre called). He asked me what I wanted it for, and picked out the bits I needed

I ordered the bits to his address, he assembled and made sure it was all okay and I collected it. He charged a reasonable fee.

I can't for the life of me remember his username though, so was wondering if either:

1) the same person sees this and would like to build me a new one

2) anyone else in the north east fancied it?

Last time it worked out that I was getting a decent spec pc a lot cheaper than if I bought in store, so naturally hoping the same again.

I use the pc for photo editing primarily. photoshop etc. and editing raw files. other than that it's recreational really (netflix etc).

Anyone out there fancy it? PM me a rough price etc.? :)

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Get this moved to Building and Upgrading, there are a few that do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Saw this ad on Advets today if it's of any use to you. Don't know anything about them other than that.

http://www.adverts.ie/desktops/cheapest-custom-pc/11251546

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

1 feedback "every customer is satisfied"

I can probably do it if you're willing to pick it up in Leitrim or Galway OP, outside of that I can advise parts.

Would you not be willing to build yourself no? It's all plug and play, you don't need soldering or high level knowledge or anything like that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Heres your last thread, looks like it was deconduo who built it for you, he's still active on the site but not so much in PC Building anymore, only 6 posts in last 3 years in there.

Heres a thread where Boardies offer to build thread for you (jaysus, it's 5 years old!!! Where'd that time go!!!!) you could bump and ask for your area and see if etc etc etc

Jesus fair play to you Tombstone! :eek: Lot of effort to put in!

My current PC is up and running again, so I'm using it at the moment. But I don't trust it. But, it's that time of year were Revenue get their lump sum off me so I'm gonna wait til I find out how much I owe them before splashing out and buying anything (or getting one built, more specifically).

So could be next week or the week after (not sure how long it takes for Revenue to bill me).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭200motels

Jesus fair play to you Tombstone! :eek: Lot of effort to put in!

My current PC is up and running again, so I'm using it at the moment. But I don't trust it. But, it's that time of year were Revenue get their lump sum off me so I'm gonna wait til I find out how much I owe them before splashing out and buying anything (or getting one built, more specifically).

So could be next week or the week after (not sure how long it takes for Revenue to bill me).
    Don't take any notice of revenue, tell them you work for Apple!

Can I ask ye guys, could anyone here tell me what the cheapest I could put together a desktop for would be?

I mean scraping the barrel in terms of spec.

I pretty much have a shed with a TV in it, and I'd love to wire up a PC to play some music/videos on it. It'd never be used for anything else. It'd need a HDMI port and the ability to play some fairly poor quality AVI files.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Can I ask ye guys, could anyone here tell me what the cheapest I could put together a desktop for would be?

I pretty much have a shed with a TV in it, and I'd love to wire up a PC to play some music/videos on it. It'd never be used for anything else. It'd need a HDMI port and the ability to play some fairly poor quality AVI files.

Use a media player.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

€5, raspberry pi zero should be grand I would think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

"Anyone want to make me a desktop"

OK, you're a desktop.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Why a desktop? If it's just for that then https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lenovo-11-6-Inch-Chromebook-Laptop-Black/dp/B01GCNZ79C

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

A cheap Chinese intel-based NUC with Win10 for around €100 would be perfect. Or a 2nd hand Core 2 based desktop on adverts for around €50.

If it doesn't have to be Windows, a €40 android box would do the trick either.

Advertisement