Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mountain bike service interval?

Options
  • 31-08-2016 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭

Hey everyone.

I'm just wondering since I picked up a Specialized mountain bike last week. How many times should the coil sprung suspension forks be serviced? Bleeding the hydraulic system with mineral oil? How often should that be done? I want to take good care of it since it's not a cheap bike, It's not an everyday commuting bike. It is dry stored and taken out on the weekend spins when I have free time. So I don't do high mileage. I don't want to neglect this one like I did with the cheaper bikes which most of them didn't have suspension forks since they were all hybrid/road bicycles. :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

Brakes: don't bleed unless there's a problem. Keep an eye on the pads, you won't notice them wear because they move out as they wear meaning the bite point of the lever feels the same, unlike cable brakes.

Coil forks: no idea. What does the manufacturer recommend? The service interval is usually expressed in hours' riding. Clean the stanchions after wet spins.

Chain wear: mountainbiking in wet conditions wears a chain quite quickly: clean and relube the chain and learn how to check if its worn.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭C3PO

How many times should the coil sprung suspension forks be serviced?

What model is the bike? I would be surprised if you have coil springs rather than air? As a previous poster said fork servicing intervals very much depend on the use and the conditions! Once a year at an absolute minimum though! If it is a full suspension bike (particularly a Specialized!) the you will also need to replace bearings and bushings and to service the rear shock! Irish winter conditions can be very hard on mountain bikes if they are used regularly offroad!

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭RedDeadMarshal

C3PO wrote: »
    What model is the bike? I would be surprised if you have coil springs rather than air? As a previous poster said fork servicing intervals very much depend on the use and the conditions! Once a year at an absolute minimum though! If it is a full suspension bike (particularly a Specialized!) the you will also need to replace bearings and bushings and to service the rear shock! Irish winter conditions can be very hard on mountain bikes if they are used regularly offroad!

It's a rockhopper comp. I i think they are coil sprung? It's a 2016 model. Maybe they changed the variations of suspension for different years but the 2016 I think is coil sprung.

Advertisement