Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

foxing calibre

• 31-08-2016 10:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭

just wondering what people are using as a dedicated foxing calibre. i have a .17 which i will keep for bunnies and odd fox but in a few months when i might get a foxing rig as i new have a need for one. so just wondering what you have and how you find it etc etc.

i know the majority will prob sat .223 or .204 but still interested to see what your using?

TB26

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,064 ✭✭✭clivej

Hornet 22

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

tommyboy26 wrote: »
    just wondering what people are using as a dedicated foxing calibre. i have a .17 which i will keep for bunnies and odd fox but in a few months when i might get a foxing rig as i new have a need for one. so just wondering what you have and how you find it etc etc.

i know the majority will prob sat .223 or .204 but still interested to see what your using?

TB26

22 Hornet......Since January 18 foxes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

22 Hornet......Since January 18 foxes

as i have a .17hmr is there a need for a hornet. what distances you dropping them at with it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

tommyboy26 wrote:
    as i have a .17hmr is there a need for a hornet. what distances you dropping them at with it?

Up to you......150-200 yards no bother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

.223 if I'm shooting, 22 swift if lamping buddy is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 keogh91

223 is the job

• Registered Users Posts: 38 sakomatt

223 very good. 22-250 is super on them haven't had one run since I started using it. They go down and stay down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 261 ✭✭Pat McGroin

sakomatt wrote: »
    223 very good. 22-250 is super on them haven't had one run since I started using it. They go down and stay down.

My vote is for the Swift.

7 foxes on Friday night all agreed . . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

I use a .22-250. Very loud though. Couldn't get a moderator authorization:mad:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I have used and have friends that use:
    • 17hmr
    • 17 Remington
    • 22 Hornet
    • 220 Swift
    • and of course the 223

The hmr, which i have, is a great little calibre, but it has its limitations with regard power and wind bucking ability. The Hornet i had, but found the hmr slightly better than it.

Now the 17 Remington is a serious bit of kit, but ammo selection is limited and sometimes hard to find.

The Swift is devastating. Excellent long range capabilities, good wind bucking, and will drop any fox. Problem i noticed is ammo selection (around me) and cost. The type my mate liked to use was over €40 per box of 20. Plus even with the mod on it wasn't the quietest of the bunch.

The 223, as you said, is the most common but this is for many reasons. It has the ability for long range, has more than enough knocking power, has a huge ammo selection and the price can go from less than a tenner per box to a max of €30 per box. IOW you can shoot it a lot and it won't break the bank.

There is a reason its such a popular calibre and unlike the other "odd ones" due its popularity there is little chance of it being made obsolete.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 sakomatt

My vote is for the Swift.

7 foxes on Friday night all agreed . . .

Wont argue with that Pat. The brother used one for years.Great round only for the price of ammo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 261 ✭✭Pat McGroin

sakomatt wrote: »
    Wont argue with that Pat. The brother used one for years.Great round only for the price of ammo.

I can get vmax 55gr for 35 per box so it's not quite daylight robbery!
    Worth it though to hear that big thump off them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭Snakezilla

In an ideal world Id love a .22/250 but my .223 has yet to let me down. At the end of the day my .22 has accounted for more foxes than any other rifle Ive ever had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

Tbh after alot of thought I have decided that because 99 per cent of the time I will go to the safe the .17hmr is what I will take out I'm just going to stick with it and not get a dedicated foxing rifle and learn to call Charlie in closer. Sure it is hunting after all!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Liam_D

.22 hornet here drops them just fine, Hornady 35gn v max are 12.50/25 so 50p/ shot and I have a decent case to reload for about 30p per round.

Advertisement