Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Systematic Spurious Warnings

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

You've not had much experience with unions, then.

Particularly for head office type workers - the ones who might need to deal with out-of-hours emergencies and the like, unions often suck, because they adopt positions based on what suits the majority of workers, not the exceptions.

I have, and yes, this is true; however, everywhere I've worked except one place has had unions, and they've negotiated good deals, and they've stood up for individuals being treated unfairly. (That one place closed; we were told a couple of days before, got no redundancy.)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Unions are a great thing for workers rights and ensuring that the average working Joe has someone in their corner to make sure they are getting paid right and not getting bullied etc.Yes they are useless when it comes to saving jobs as they cant influence business decisions but no unions are a dangerous idea. I'm very very wary of someone who tries to actively cut out unions.

Without them, if you have a little dcikhead of manager shouting at you and demanding you work all hours day and night etc who can help you? You make a complaint and a few months later you are out the door on the basis of some made up error or "performance" error. Then the bully keeps his or her job and the cycle continues.

Oh, and salaried employees DO get paid overtime. They do in my industry anyway (Engineering), I got paid overtime on my last 3 salaried jobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Kings Inns or bust

S'up folks. Some advise please. Recently declined to do some unpaid work in my job as I already do between 10 and 20 hours for free every week as it is. The Manager has taken exception to this and decided that I need to be "worked out of the business" through systematic spurious warnings and lies on a weekly basis through performance appraisal. Any advice, what can one do in such a situation? Incidentally, I have documentary evidence of the above.

Only read your OP so sorry if this has been covered. The only solution is to engage a good employment solicitor early. I love it when people get managed out - payday all round - companies that engage in this sort of behaviour do it so sloppily.

Advertisement