Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn Weather 2016 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Gonzo wrote: »
    it wont make it to the east, the rain is forecasted to break up over the midlands. We may not see any rain till Sunday.
    I doubt if we'll even see any rain on Sunday, with pressure high I don't think that front will amount to much, a bit of drizzle maybe?
    I think the sun is going to come out again here, max today 21.2c and 20.8c atm.
    http://old.wetterzentrale.de/pics/brack3.gif

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

quite sunny here again after a cloudy 3 hours since noon. 19C. now 21C in Phoenix Park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Eamondomc

Does anybody know if any plans have been made to actually drain the Shannon? Or are the powers that be going to wait until people are made homeless again by the flooding?

Was listening to this earlier.
    Might be just hot air, but Murphy lives in the area and knows all there is to know about it.
    http://www.shannonside.ie/news/fianna-fail-td-eugene-murphy-launches-bill-to-try-to-lower-level-of-river-shannon/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Amazingly sunny, had 5 mins of drizzle earlier and sunny now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ArKl0w

Another glorious one with the sun out all day,peaked at 22.9,so I'm claiming a technical 23 :D

Currently 21.4 and lovely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

It got to 17.8C in Castlebar today was quite dull, some squally showers have been pushing in since around 18.00.

Drove from here, north Longford, through Mullingar and on to Tullamore, back through Ballinacargy and in through Ballymahon and Longford to home.
    It was miserable dull and at times wet with heavy mizzle and poor visibility in the earlier part of the day,temperatures varied from 12 starting out to at best 16, but from about 3 o clock it brightened up and its a pleasent evening here at home now,18 degrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,837 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

A night of heavy rain, we already had some thunder and fork lightning this evening( it was good fun driving in it), then a chilly 20c tomorrow:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

could be warmish again on Saturday, that has to be the end of it, much of northern Europe will see temperatures turn more autumn like next week. First signs of winter into northern Scandinavia around 1st/2nd October.

We done well with a very warm and often summery first half of September.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

Lovely day in east galway
    Got the lawn cut on full mulch with no wet grass clogging mower for first time since start of July
    Happy out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

This day back in 1961 there was some real weather to deal with as Hurricane Debbie brought death and destruction across the country.

397135.PNG

Hurricane Charley? get back into your box because this was the real thing with hurricane force winds (whether this was a genuine hurricane or not is still up for debate) and gusts over 90 knots over a wide area. Would have loved to have been around for this event.

Analysis chart from UKMO.

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

Jet engine contrails in co. wexford. Pic taken 5 minutes ago.

2016_09_16_19.jpg

nice day here but feeling very fresh compared to what we've been used to. Single digit temps tonight, haven't really seen those in a long time.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Jet engine contrails in co. wexford. Pic taken 5 minutes ago.

Was noting that also that there was loads of contrails staying around for a good while in the sky this evening, saw some earlier casting shadows on tracts of Altostratus underneath ( wasn't able to get a shot unfortunately ).

Getting cool now near Tralee at 11.7C

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭511

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    This day back in 1961 there was some real weather to deal with as Hurricane Debbie brought death and destruction across the country.

397135.PNG

Hurricane Charley? get back into your box because this was the real thing with hurricane force winds (whether this was a genuine hurricane or not is still up for debate) and gusts over 90 knots over a wide area. Would have loved to have been around for this event.

Analysis chart from UKMO.

The debate is weather it was a tropical storm or not by the time it reached Ireland. It lost its hurricane status before it passed the Azores.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Debbie still provided us with our strongest recorded gust, 188.1 Km/Hr in Malin Head, Debbie was not a true hurricane though.

511 wrote: »
    The debate is weather it was a tropical storm or not by the time it reached Ireland. It lost its hurricane status before it passed the Azores.
    Yes you're right.
    Thats not "Debbie" north west of Donegal on the day before the storm, a kink can be seen in the isobars near the Azores and I presume that's the remnants of Hurricane Debbie which deepened rapidly and developed into an ex-tropical storm as it approached south west Ireland.
    A very disappointing day here, now completely clouded over and only 16.5c, was expecting a much better day.

Rrea00119610915.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

its going to be a nice day today...make the most of it folks

only 16C here and mostly cloudy, up to 20C was forecasted by Met Eireann and most of the country is hovering between 15 and 16C.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

A Sunny 20.7ºc in Bray at 1:30pm

Gone Dull now and currently 17ºc.

• Advertisement

It turned into a lovely afternoon in the end :) max 19c (18.9c actually) and 18.1c atm. Can't complain I suppose with the equinox only days away.

Calibos wrote: »
    A Sunny 20.7ºc in Bray at 1:30pm

Gone Dull now and currently 17ºc.

Stayed sunny down this end of the resort :D
    Max 21.8,now 20.9c

Glorious

(I've a feeling I won't be saying that tomorrow but can't complain!)

no sun here since 2pm, just dull grey skies and cool. very disappointing day here.

Sunset here about an hour ago
    Still lovely out

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Gonzo wrote: »
    no sun here since 2pm, just dull grey skies and cool. very disappointing day here.

Now now Gonzo, don't be complaining mad0025.gif this is Ireland afterall so dull skies and disappointing weather is hardly surprising*

* sure I heard this line of argument given more than once when those of us west of the Shannon made similar complaints throughout last summer...

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

I'm away since 2 but we have 2/3 completely dry days which were badly needed and good for my mood :)

The rain has started here now, I m out on a charity cycle at 11, better get the raingear out.
    Very dull, cold as well, 11 degrees.

feeling very chilly today alright, will take a few days to adjust to this much cooler weather. Temps will really struggle this week, by next weekend we are looking at low to mid teens at best.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

16.7C feeling warm in welcome sunshine here near Tralee 😀

• Advertisement

Drizzle since half one
    Proper heavy rain now though

Advertisement