Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn Weather 2016 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

ArKl0w wrote: »
    Drizzle since half one
    Proper heavy rain now though

Wow thats so strange and amazing because here in Bray its......

The Same :(:(

:D

[Edit]...and its getting worster!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

This years storms have been given the following names below,to ensure Met Eireann/the Met office are in line with the US National Hurricane Centre naming conventions, they are not going to include names which begin with the letters Q, U, X, Y and Z. This will maintain consistency for official storm naming in the North Atlantic.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

This years storms have been given the following names below,to ensure Met Eireann/the Met office are in line with the US National Hurricane Centre naming conventions, they are not going to include names which begin with the letters Q, U, X, Y and Z. This will maintain consistency for official storm naming in the North Atlantic.

Wilbert sounds like the least threatening name you could choose for a storm.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Padster90s

Xenji wrote: »

Least threatening for me would be Doris. Sounds like an old grandaunt who pops in for a dry sherry and a chinwag!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Barney, Charlie, Debbie.. its a load of nonsense

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Eamondomc

Barney, Charlie, Debbie.. its a load of nonsense

Ah no, they have to have names, its easy to describe them and remember them.
    Can anyone remember hurricane Charlie?
    Very easy to bring up in conversation later if it is a major event.

I grew up listening to stories of the great snow of 47, wouldn't it be easier if it was called hank or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Xenji wrote: »

Storm 'Penelope' does not inspire a sense of threat either. Why can't they use strong, forceful, portentous names such as 'Patrick'? :confused:

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Heating on in the house for the first time last night! Had been out and when I came home you could smell the heat before you could feel it! Met Eireann forecast is decidedly autumnal sounding....bring it on!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Persistent rain now in castlebar, low cloud down on the hills. Horrible afternoon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ArKl0w

Yesterday here was the first day(that it wasn't raining) that I had to put on a jumper since April
    All the Eastern coastal margin anomalous heat and sun this year has me gone soft!
    Peaked at 15.7c today

Lovely calm evening now,sun gone down behind the mountains and with lots of these yokes,little flies flying over me in the field in a busy sequence about a foot above my head
    Six marker,can anyone tell me what they are ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

I work year round within 6ft of a permanently open door. Yesterday was the first day since April I wore my hoody over my normal T-shirt for my entire shift. Last night was the first night in months that not only did I not have my bedside fan switched on, I actually pulled my Duvet tightly round my neck. I've actually missed a cool room when getting into bed. Harder to fall asleep for me in a muggy warm room whereas snuggling under a duvet in a cool room sends me right off to sleep in a minute or two.

Forecast is for it to warm up again next week? 20ºc, so we in the lee of the Wicklow mountains can look forward to 22ºc thanks to the Fohn effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

6c at Dublin airport currently, compared to 13c at Shannon!

The forecast min was 9c tonight, so that's strange.

Edit:

Just noticed, at 10pm it was 10c at Casement and 6c at Dublin airport!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Well, the calm couple of days coming to an end with an unsettled spell coming. Quick moving band of rain crossing the country tomorrow followed by showery weather on Thursday, the weekend is looking very wet especially Fri night into Sat and Sun and Mon . Windy at times too. Looking at the accumulations it would seem to me that the W, SW and SE getting the most rain.The prediction models are showing a possible 2 inches+ of rain in places between Fri night and next Tues along the W and SW coasts ( possibly more on mountains ) and the SE possibly getting a lot of rain next Mon .Lot of talk recently of the tillage farmers having a bad time this year at harvest along the coastal counties, if it's not in before this weekend it will probably have to stay in the fields I would think unfortunately .

Lucky the ploughing championships will miss it.

SAjrM7u.png?1

pOB10lU.gif

s17EzW5.gif

8UpgKum.gif

EDIT: not as much rain showing up now in the SE next Monday, W and SW still on track to get big accumulations over the weekend.

Looks like the first storm may be on its way for Monday.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

not looking good for the Harvest Festival in Dunshaughlin this weekend. For the past several year's we had great weather for it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

I see MT's discussion regarding the potential for stormy conditions Mon / Tues from the remnants of Karl. A quick look at the models just now would show a big difference in predictions. The GEM is full on and from what I've seen of late is that it seems to handle the Hurricanes / post tropical storm tracks well. The GFS is keeping it away from these shores.In general the models seem to me to be struggling a bit with trying to input the potential power from these systems and what must be a huge potential to influence the general weather patterns when they move into our latitudes.

First ground frost of the season possible tonight for some localised places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ArKl0w

Meanwhile the heavens have opened here since 4pm
    14.1mm and rising :eek:
    It doesn't appear fast moving,it's been at it 3 hours now

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,833 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

leahyl wrote: »
    Heating on in the house for the first time last night! Had been out and when I came home you could smell the heat before you could feel it! Met Eireann forecast is decidedly autumnal sounding....bring it on!

Heat when on in my house last night for the first time in months. It's certainly getting colder... is there any chance of a cold dry winter this year? :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Loughc wrote: »
    Heat when on in my house last night for the first time in months. It's certainly getting colder... is there any chance of a cold dry winter this year? :D

jumpers on past 3/4 days, the days are already a good 4 or 5C cooler than they were up to a week ago and the nights are much cooler. Hard to believe just 2 week's ago it was 23C here at 10pm (Monday 5th September).

• Advertisement

Carnacalla wrote: »
    First ground frost of the season possible tonight for some localised places.

6.5C here already near the coast outside Tralee. Clear sky and near calm.

6.5C here already near the coast outside Tralee. Clear sky and near calm.

8.2c here in West Clare, with similar conditions.

11pm reports gives the coldest temperature 5c in Markee Sligo, Moorepark Cork and Mt.Dillon Roscommon. 3 very different locations.

Markee Sligo now down to 4c, could well be a frost there soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

Yeah Markree is headn towards 0c

6.4c in Sligo town which normally around 2.5c warmer than markree

of course met eireann say 3 to 7c coz sligo doesnt exist

although they had said 2c previous but changed like me in a boards forecast to be wronger

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

Its 5.7C here in the s.e. corner of the county, beautifully calm and crisp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

First ice on the car this season. Can't report temps because my weather station temp sensor on the blink. Must be around 2 I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

6.3C here and still dropping.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

Any word on when MT will be rolling out his winter forecast

probably not for a few weeks, bit early yet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

Gonzo wrote: »

probably not for a few weeks, bit early yet!
    Ok cheers

Advertisement