Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn Weather 2016 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

LEIN wrote: »
    Will be interesting to see how it pans out.

I'm with the BBC on this one :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

I think I will side with RTE on this one :) IMO the models showing the Front over Ireland on Friday and then breaking up over England on Saturday and then a low pressure drifting up over England with England ( hopefully ) getting the rain and Ireland staying largely dry, long way off though.

qntiUki.png?1

9Y334FK.gif

EOodRYZ.gif

ic0pYj0.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Is that chart showing strong northerly winds over Ireland, or am I way too tired?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

Another cloudy dampish with no drying out sort of day. Calm but dull.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Is that chart showing strong northerly winds over Ireland, or am I way too tired?

I wouldn't think that strong . Fresh. Forecast to be around 12C or 13C , feel cooler in the wind.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't think that strong . Fresh. Forecast to be around 12C or 13C , feel cooler in the wind.

Frost?:D

Kerry under the thinnest veil of Cirrostratus today, got up to 18.2C and felt pleasantly warm sitting out .

s3HK5ux.jpg?1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ArKl0w

pedigree 6 wrote: »
    Another cloudy dampish with no drying out sort of day. Calm but dull.

Brilliantly sunny on the coast here all day! The cloud cover you had on the horizon looking west in the attached pic
    Photo taken around 5pm

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

Strange sort of weather in Sligo.

Seems to rain a tiddle and then get sunny and rain a tiddle after dark...for past few days.

Id say rain next weekend. Im siding with Gerry not BBC.

4c in Dublin Airport at midnight, and a lovely 11.5c here in West Clare with no wind, almost sorry I had the fire on as the house is roasting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Not entirely weather related but quite a strange thing happened this morning while out feeding the dog out the back. All was quiet, as it would be at 7.30am, but could hear a lot of crows in the distance getting closer. Within 2 minutes, literally thousands of them flew directly over, disappeared, then came back and within seconds, every roof I could see in the immediate area was black with crows and in the minutes afterwards, they kept flying off, forming into groups and then coming back. I could hear then landing on the roof each time in their hundreds. The noise they were making was something else and I have never seen or heard anything like it.

We have a lot of crows flying and gathering around here most mornings, but this was something else. I have never seen this amount of them before. It was quite unnerving to be honest and even the dog was whinging to come in the house. The whole spectacle lasted about 10 minutes.

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

They'd been at a Secret Cinema screening of The Birds! :D

Cumulus and Altostratus undulatus.
    Picture taken today in wexford at 1.30pm.

2016_10_10_13.jpg

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Not entirely weather related but quite a strange thing happened this morning while out feeding the dog out the back. All was quiet, as it would be at 7.30am, but could hear a lot of crows in the distance getting closer. Within 2 minutes, literally thousands of them flew directly over, disappeared, then came back and within seconds, every roof I could see in the immediate area was black with crows and in the minutes afterwards, they kept flying off, forming into groups and then coming back. I could hear then landing on the roof each time in their hundreds. The noise they were making was something else and I have never seen or heard anything like it.

We have a lot of crows flying and gathering around here most mornings, but this was something else. I have never seen this amount of them before. It was quite unnerving to be honest and even the dog was whinging to come in the house. The whole spectacle lasted about 10 minutes.

A large flock of ' Crows ' is sometimes called a Murder of Crows. The superstitious in the past might have seen this as an Omen. :eek: I have often seen them congregating like this in the Autumn, and now that I think especially in calm settled weather. Perhaps they flock together like this for social reasons and to make themselves known for the upcoming breeding season . I believe they are some of the first birds to lay eggs.

A large flock of ' Crows ' is sometimes called a Murder of Crows. The superstitious in the past might have seen this as an Omen. :eek: I have often seen them congregating like this in the Autumn, and now that I think especially in calm settled weather. Perhaps they flock together like this for social reasons and to make themselves known for the upcoming breeding season . I believe they are some of the first birds to lay eggs.

They are called a murder of crows.
    But my guess would be that a hawk caught a crow in the flock and then they all went beserk after it.
    Especially if the caught crow is calling out, it would drive them all nutts after them.

Have seen it here where someone shot and wounded a crow and the trees would be full of calling crows near the bird.
    Very intelligent birds and nosey as anything. Like any animal or bird they can get angry too.

Got up to a very pleasant 17.1c here near Tralee today in good spells of sunshine.

Air pressure nice and steady these last few days. High Pressure over Scandinavia doing a good job blocking out the Atlantic weather for the moment at least. Set to be cloudy with possible rain and drizzle here in the SW tomorrow .

OLN90pw.jpg?1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Eamondomc

A few months back I was driving our lane and a hen pheasant and 3 chicks were walking along the side hurriedly, trying to get out of my way I suppose, though I had no intention of harming them.
    Suddenly a hawk just swooped down and made a grab for one of the chicks, didn't get it straight away and the hen turned and made for the hawk, she saved her chick. It was one the best pieces of pure nature and natural mothering incidents I've seen, never really thought pheasants would fight like that.

Eamondomc wrote: »
    A few months back I was driving our lane and a hen pheasant and 3 chicks were walking along the side hurriedly, trying to get out of my way I suppose, though I had no intention of harming them.
    Suddenly a hawk just swooped down and made a grab for one of the chicks, didn't get it straight away and the hen turned and made for the hawk, she saved her chick. It was one the best pieces of pure nature and natural mothering incidents I've seen, never really thought pheasants would fight like that.

I have a Beagle here and he just hates cats. I was walking out to farmyard one day and the Beagle was following on behind. I just came out and there was a farm/feral cat and kitten at the other side of the yard at the straw stack. When I saw them I was just about to go back to the house the way the dog wouldn't see them.
    Too late he copped them straightaway and ran at full speed towards them.
    The mother cat seeing the dog ran herself at full speed towards the dog.
    Ted the beagle got the shock of his life when the cats that he usually chases instead ran towards him.
    It was funny watching an animal 3 times bigger turn tail and yelping as the cat chased him. The kitten got away up the straw bales and the cat was fine too, the dog was a bit traumatised though.:D

Anyway back to topic.

A large flock of ' Crows ' is sometimes called a Murder of Crows. The superstitious in the past might have seen this as an Omen.

To be honest, I am not surprised that people would have seen spectacles like this as an omen. It was frightening to witness (though I tend to be easily spooked anyway :o) and even tried to apply logic and explanation while it was occurring, but they offered little comfort at the time to be honest.

New Moon

I have a Beagle here and he just hates cats. I was walking out to farmyard one day and the Beagle was following on behind. I just came out and there was a farm/feral cat and kitten at the other side of the yard at the straw stack. When I saw them I was just about to go back to the house the way the dog wouldn't see them.
    Too late he copped them straightaway and ran at full speed towards them.
    The mother cat seeing the dog ran herself at full speed towards the dog.
    Ted the beagle got the shock of his life when the cats that he usually chases instead ran towards him.
    It was funny watching an animal 3 times bigger turn tail and yelping as the cat chased him. The kitten got away up the straw bales and the cat was fine too, the dog was a bit traumatised though.:D

Anyway back to topic.

Maternal felids are notoriously fierce when it comes to protecting their little 'uns, to the point that they will sacrifice their own lives to save them.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

They are called a murder of crows.
    But my guess would be that a hawk caught a crow in the flock and then they all went beserk after it.
    Especially if the caught crow is calling out, it would drive them all nutts after them.

Have seen it here where someone shot and wounded a crow and the trees would be full of calling crows near the bird.
    Very intelligent birds and nosey as anything. Like any animal or bird they can get angry too.

A crow funeral they call it.

These mornings aren't autumnal enough :(

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Carnacalla wrote: »
    These mornings aren't autumnal enough :(

I don't know there was a breeze in Baldoyle this morning that would cut you. It was the first morning my hands were tingly with the cold.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

very cold wind today alright, coldest day Ive felt in a long time.

Miserable evening here in Dundalk. On and off rain since around 3. Looking at the radar, there seems to be a streamer forming just off Anglesey and moving NW into Louth.

Sunny, 13c and a brisk wind in West Clare.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Have been going to work last few days without a coat and have to say today is the first day I felt a proper chill in the air when I went out at lunch for a walk, windy and autumnal so it was!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Rain back in north meath for the last couple of hours, the mother 10mins away, hasn't seen a drop of rain today at all

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Its actually very heavy rain now, just looked at the ME rainfall radar and just f*ck off rain, only place in ireland it seems to be falling

• Advertisement

Its actually very heavy rain now, just looked at the ME rainfall radar and just f*ck off rain, only place in ireland it seems to be falling

Costa del Clare? :D

Advertisement