Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn Weather 2016 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

km79 wrote: »
    Been a brilliant month so far to be fair

been horrendous since I typed this sentence!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

I'm outdoors a lot and think the same about the weather.
    It's definitely cooler and more wintry than autumnal.
    I'd give it 3 weeks before a few flecks will be visible by lampposts in the Midlands.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

No fog yet this Autumn, nor frost.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭screamer

We've had frost already this autumn a couple of weeks ago, but you'd have to be up at 5 AM to see it on the cars, it melted quickly.

screamer wrote: »
    We've had frost already this autumn a couple of weeks ago, but you'd have to be up at 5 AM to see it on the cars, it melted quickly.

Lowest temp here has been 5.9c, so I doubt there would have been any frost even at 5am.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

we haven't had a proper night's frost yet but the days have certainly been chilly this past while, barely making 12C or 13C recently. I can remember many mid Octobers were we managed to get some 16C's and 17c's, even the odd 18c. The next 2 weeks do not look mild at all and quite cold heading into November.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭highdef

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Lowest temp here has been 5.9c, so I doubt there would have been any frost even at 5am.

I had a ground frost about a month ago, perhaps a little less. Car in the driveway was covered in ice when I went out with the dog at about midnight on whatever date it was. Air temperature was about 3/4c at the time

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

Carnacalla wrote:

There was a slight frost in Kilfenora recently.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Nice bright, breezy and cool feeling day here near Tralee, wind from the NW. Just got up to 13.9C and currently 11.2C. Got very windy overnight, rain amounts small.

Some nice touches of Autumn about today...

KVh4And.jpg?1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

Chilly in Dublin with a rays of sunshine shining down.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Eamondomc

Foggy but not too cold here this morning.
    Cattle grazing away happily in the top fields, not a bother on them.

Lovely patch of drizzle over West Clare, temp 9.3c this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Squeaksoutloud

Nice bright, breezy and cool feeling day here near Tralee, wind from the NW. Just got up to 13.9C and currently 11.2C. Got very windy overnight, rain amounts small.

Some nice touches of Autumn about today...

KVh4And.jpg?1

I want to get a tree like that...what is it a sycamore?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

A maple tree I would say. Be careful what you wish for, I have 8 of these in my front garden and picking up the leaves is an absolute nightmare this time of year!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Frost and fog in Kildare (Celbridge area) three weeks ago, a very cold Saturday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭squarecircles

from netweather

Monday 31st October - Sunday 6th November
    Blocked weather patterns will persist during this week with extensive high pressure to the north, especially the north-east, maintaining frequent easterly and south-easterly winds. Low pressure systems will start to move in from the North Atlantic into early November, but these will be slow moving and further south than usual, and it is unlikely that the traditional westerlies will establish across the British Isles this week. One or two lows are expected to move in, bringing associated fronts mostly to the west and south of the country, and milder temperatures. In between, the weather will be dry and quite cold, with plenty of sunshine for many western areas but often cloudier with scattered showers in the east with the winds frequently coming in off the North Sea.

In general temperatures will be close to or just below the long-term normal. Rainfall totals are expected to be above normal in southern England, and near normal in eastern coastal parts of England, but rather below normal over Scotland, Northern Ireland, northern England and north Wales. Sunshine totals will be below normal in central, southern and eastern England, and probably well below normal in the east of England, but above normal in most parts of Scotland, Northern Ireland and north-west England.

Rest of the month
    Monday 7th November - Tuesday 15th November
    It will turn colder early in this period with a likelihood of one or two northerly blasts coming straight down from the Arctic, though at this range it is impossible to determine whether these will be cold enough to bring widespread snowfall, particularly with the Arctic remaining anomalously warm. It will turn more unsettled towards mid-November with frequent westerly and north-westerly winds, with temperatures returning close to or just above average.

Nonetheless, colder weather early in the period means that temperatures are most likely to be below normal overall, typically by around 1C. It will be drier than normal in south-western England and in Wales, but wetter than normal in the east. Sunshine totals are expected to be above normal over much of the UK.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Would be happy with that, Dry cold weather sounds perfect!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,536 ✭✭✭droidman123

Loughc wrote: »
    Would be happy with that, Dry cold weather sounds perfect!

Thats a forecast for the uk,not ireland

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I'm aware of that, I just said I would be happy with that kind of weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭squarecircles

it references northern ireland through out, which can give us a diluted interpretation of the weather for ireland during the period.

• Advertisement

Could be a frost tonight, and possibly a fog, the forecast for tonight and tomorrow night has changed so much it's impossible to tell whats happening.

Met Office forecast gives a mainly cold dry outlook,
    Forecast summary
    Regional UK 5 days UK 6-30 days
    Outlook for the UK over the next 6-30 days
    UK Outlook for Sunday 23 Oct 2016 to Tuesday 1 Nov 2016:
    High pressure looks set to remain to the northeast of the UK, continuing to bring east or south-easterly winds across the country. These winds will become strong at times, with the risk of gales in places. Bands of rain may spread into the south-west at the start of this period, with the chance that some of this slowly spreading further north by the end of October. Eastern parts may see scattered showers throughout, but generally the further north you go the greater chance of remaining dry and bright. Temperatures are likely to turn milder across the south at first, but this often offset by the stronger winds. Where it remains more settled though, temperatures will be colder with an increased likelihood of frost and fog forming overnight.

Updated at: 1335 on Tue 18 Oct 2016

UK Outlook for Wednesday 2 Nov 2016 to Wednesday 16 Nov 2016:
    Into the first week of November, similar weather conditions look set to continue with high pressure remaining to the northeast of the UK and lower pressure to the southwest. As a result, the most frequent spells of rain are likely across southern parts, accompanied by strong winds. Further north it will remain drier, however it will often be rather cold. Towards the middle of the month there are some signs that low pressure will start to arrive from the west bringing slightly less cold conditions with stronger winds and spells to rain across the whole country. However, there remains a lot of uncertainty at this stage and the more settled conditions may persist into the second half of November which will result in fairly cold conditions remaining across the UK.

it references northern ireland through out, which can give us a diluted interpretation of the weather for ireland during the period.

The island of irelands weather can differ vastly from the UK,s weather.

Did you read the post you quoted?

Met Eireann giving widespread mist and fog again, after changing the forecast again.

Of course, me here in lovely West Clare will have the great temperature of 7c with likely amazing visibilities, whereas the rest of the country will awake to a lovely 1c with grass frost and a mystical fog.

Fecking typical.

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Did you read the post you quoted?

Yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

wetterzentral GFS charts to the start of November show varying degrees of high pressure over Ireland, peaking at end of October

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

Still a lot of uncertainty around what will happen into November, although a blocked pattern is the form horse for now. There is a disturbance northeast of the Turks and Caicos islands which is forecast to develop into a cyclone in 5 days time (see here). It is also forecast to move north-northeastward and merge with a cold front in the Western Atlantic by the weekend, so it could have some kind of impact on our weather in the lead in to November.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

both winter and summer sometimes the differences between Ireland and the majority of the UK mainland can be 'seasons' apart, the difference can be even like chalk and cheese between Dublin and the coastline of Wales which is only 90km or so. The differences are rarely ever in our favour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Eamondomc

Gonzo wrote: »
    both winter and summer sometimes the differences between Ireland and the majority of the UK mainland can be 'seasons' apart, the difference can be even like chalk and cheese between Dublin and the coastline of Wales which is only 90km or so. The differences are rarely ever in our favour.

We are the break for most of the uk from the Atlantic weather, their shelter, so to speak. But a lot of times we are included in their forecasts as part of the British isles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Padster90s

Netweather and Accu seem to never acknowledge our existence in the weather news sections of their websites. Accuweather especially when they do features about incoming storms, we're forecast to take the main hit and they never mention us!

Advertisement