Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn Weather 2016 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ArKl0w

Absolutely gorgeous day again in East Wicklow
    We've been truly blessed in 2016

If we have snow in late November/December,that'll be the crowning of it

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

Horrible misty day in Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

CLear blue skies arriving into castlebar now from the West after a wet morning. Light winds, very mild at 13 degrees

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Eamondomc

Heavy shower just past, and I feel like the holy spirit visited afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Rotten drizzly weather here in West Clare since last night.

Not that bad I suppose its much milder!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Magzire

Nice warm day here in Leixlip @ 14oC

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

Wet and miserable in West Laois, dry as a bone in Carlow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Started with blues skies here in Waterford but clouded in by lunch but stayed dry and mild.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Plenty of 16's showing up for Munster tomorrow

oJljco5.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Harvey Normal

OK I'm going to make a guess that the weather in 3 weeks time, Wed 16th November, is going to be 6degrees and scattered showers. What is your forecast for that date? I'm giving you a great chance here as it's only 3 weeks away and you believe that it's possible to forecast months in advance. BTW I hope this post is 'respectful' enough for you:D

The scientific consensus, which was pointed out already, is that the weather for seasons can be estimated with a scientific accuracy that's better than chance ahead of time. This is what the British met office believes. You disagree. You are wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,211 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

The scientific consensus, which was pointed out already, is that the weather for seasons can be estimated with a scientific accuracy that's better than chance ahead of time. This is what the British met office believes. You disagree. You are wrong.

Oh right!
    Anyway the gist of what you are saying is that neither yourself or carnacalla have a bulls notion of what the weather will be like on 16/11/16, 3 weeks away, and my guess for 6 degrees and scattered showers is as likely as anything you can predict.

Oh right!
    Anyway the gist of what you are saying is that neither yourself or carnacalla have a bulls notion of what the weather will be like on 16/11/16, 3 weeks away, and my guess for 6 degrees and scattered showers is as likely as anything you can predict.

Good heavens, if you're going to argue at least listen to the argument against what your saying!

Long term forecasting is not as simple as you're trying to call it out on, do you honestly think we are saying I can tell you what the exact weather will be at 3:42pm on the 21st of November? No, and that's obivous, so stop twisting points for your own agenda.

The current forecasting charts can give a computed prediction on the most likely outcome for the weather in a few weeks given the current atmospheric conditions. It can give a rough estimate that say in 3 weeks we will be under a high pressure system with an airflow from the north, which can usually mean cold and dry weather. We aren't telling you that there will be scattered showers and a maximum temperature of 6 degrees, if you're going to call BS on something at least know what exactly the 'something' is.

People who have vast experince in Meteorology can also give a prediction as to how they think the systems and airflows will evolve over the season, they take in all sorts of factors. Most people won't publish these for fear of them bring taking up by a daily mail type newspaper. We aren't talking about some James Madden type BS'er.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,211 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Carnacalla wrote: »

People who have vast experince in Meteorology can also give a prediction as to how they think the systems and airflows will evolve over the season, they take in all sorts of factors. Most people won't publish these for fear of them bring taking up by a daily mail type newspaper. We aren't talking about some James Madden type BS'er.

I don't 'have vast experience in meteorology' and yet I'm sure I could have a fair stab at how the weather will evolve over the various seasons. Anyway why are you so touchy and defensive when I point out that is not possible to forecast the weather beyond 7-10 days, that is simply a well known fact, ring met Eireann and ask them.

I don't 'have vast experience in meteorology' and yet I'm sure I could have a fair stab at how the weather will evolve over the various seasons. Anyway why are you so touchy and defensive when I point out that is not possible to forecast the weather beyond 7-10 days, that is simply a well known fact, ring met Eireann and ask them.

That's completely incorrect, and you've yet to pull out a shread of evidence. Met Eireann don't forecast as it is not possible with their models. The Met Office do it, as has been pointed out several times to you, do you discount them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Very windy gusty in Galway

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

It's some day here in Clare,not all of us are pedantic or whining all the time.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ArKl0w

Gorgeous day here near Arklow too
    Sun out and a balmy 17.7c peak :)

It's some day here in Clare,not all of us are pedantic or whining all the time.....

Not great in West Clare, and I'm not the one for whining.

Overcast boring weather with no rain is the worst weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,425 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Summers evening here in Loughlinstown.

400217.jpg

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Dull grey misty 48 hours in east Galway
    The "patches of coastal drizzle " have struck again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Absolutely horrible in Galway city now:( Pouring rain but an almost balmy 15 degrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Overcast boring weather with no rain is the worst weather.

when its dry, its boring because you want rain and when its raining, its rubbish because you want dry weather, ye people are never happy

Me, i love dry weather any way i get it, clear sky and sunny, partly cloudy and sunny, fully cloudy and no sun, doesn't matter, its dry, i can get out and make the most of it.

Dry again today with bits of sunshine throughout the day, got the grass cut to, happy days

when its dry, its boring because you want rain and when its raining, its rubbish because you want dry weather, ye people are never happy

Me, i love dry weather any way i get it, clear sky and sunny, partly cloudy and sunny, fully cloudy and no sun, doesn't matter, its dry, i can get out and make the most of it.

Dry again today with bits of sunshine throughout the day, got the grass cut to, happy days

Somebody hasn't been reading my posts!

I don't enjoy overcast boring weather, it's the one type of weather that gets to me. Let it rain 24/7, let it be foggy 24/7, let it snow 24/7, let it be frosty 24/7, let it be extremely windy 24/7, just dont let it be a overcast boring day!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Somebody hasn't been reading my posts!

Fortunately iv'e been out enjoying this fine spell of weather

Day 3 of dull damp grayness in east Galway
    Made about 5 mm of rain overnight too
    Disappointing

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I'm really enjoying this autumn. Barely any rain here since I returned from Spain 3 weeks ago, infact it's rained more in southern Spain since I left than it has here.

Over the next week, we may some drizzly patches but that's about it. The only real wet weather we've had is the weekend of the 23rd-25th September.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Really paying for the nice weather we had in the west for most of October with the three dark days now well and truly established. Dull, low cloud, mist and very damp despite the lack of any meaningful rain. 97% humidity out with every tree dripping like mad with the place absolutely saturated, yet only 2.8mm of rain since midnight, and with a pressure reading of 1031.4mb currently, it makes the whole scene all the more diabolical to witness.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭catrat12

Any update on the charts for the first week of November or onwards

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Brightening up nicely here near Tralee and getting warm too at 15.8C ( only dropped to 13.3C last night ) Just picked up 0.4 mm of rainfall during the dark hours). Can feel the humidity in the air, light wind from the SW coming up from Spain and South of France. Great day for catching up on a few jobs outside. Bar 1032.8 hPa Rising Slowly

fk8uzvl.jpg?1

• Advertisement

Rainfall totals creeping up by the hour in east Galway
    HATE days like these where it's not really promised awful wet but get a mm or so every other hour leading to wet land
    Had it most of the summer

Advertisement