Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn Weather 2016 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

km79 wrote: »
    Rainfall totals creeping up by the hour in east Galway
    HATE days like these where it's not really promised awful wet but get a mm or so every other hour leading to wet land
    Had it most of the summer

Horrible day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

HATE days like these where it's not really promised awful wet but get a mm or so every other hour leading to wet land

There seems to have been a big difference east and west this year. Over my neck of the woods we had a good summer with losts of 2-3 day dry spellsand plenty of days in the mid 20s C right into September.Have heard a lot of farmers in the west say they had an awful year alright.

In 2012 most areas had a terrible summer but Donegal and parts of the north west did better.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Warm here near Tralee under sunshine getting up to 17.1C a short time ago. 16.3C atm

Had to take a break from working out the back, sweating !. Warmer than some days during the summer. :cool:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Staying mild until the Northerly airflow kicks in later Monday evening, looking like a noticeable change to cooler temperatures by Tuesday.

Looks to me to be staying mainly dry well into the week.

kdeLuJo.png?1

6nCRvG5.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ArKl0w

Beautiful afternoon here and currently 17.5c

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,921 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Horrible day

It all adds up. Our soccer pitches are closed for the weekend. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

Beautiful afternoon in east galway

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

For a day forecast to be overcast its fairly sunny.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,921 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Beautiful afternoon in east galway

About time too!

Looks to be staying mostly dry tomorrow with the cold front effecting the NW for a time and petering out as it moves across the Northern half of the country.

UfbCQqv.png?4

aJn2wFv.png

Mostly good weather tomorrow night for these guys....

Ag0w2Ym.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Magzire

What the hell... I am actually feeling heat here. This is nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Beautiful hazy sunshine here in Bray. Feels warmer than the indicated 14deg.

20c being recorded at London Gatwick airport currently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ArKl0w

Simply incredible today :)

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

Dull cool but dry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭Boggy Turf

Will there be a new Winter weather thread tomorrow? I love this time of year on Boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭highdef

Boggy Turf wrote: »
    Will there be a new Winter weather thread tomorrow? I love this time of year on Boards.
    Perhaps on the 1st of December, when winter begins. I see no reason to start a winter thread with a month of autumn still to go

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Boggy Turf wrote: »

This is the Autumn thread, new one for winter on the 1st of December..

Calm overcast day with the odd ray of light. Sea flat calm in Fenit, Co Kerry today with the light wind from the NE, nice for walking and fishing.

7yOKSsZ.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

Glorious the last couple of days around here in Kilcullen Dunlavin area, feels like proper seasons for a change, it may actually snow this year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Eamondomc

Lovely bright morning here, just got a fright though, was walking down the yard and seen two fellas coming through the first field with shotguns towards me, what da fcuk I thought....
    Then it dawned on me, Nov 1, pheasant shooting season, its ok, I m not going to be shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,211 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Great to have Autumn done and dusted with no bad weather.
    It's strange that the dryest and mildest October on record had not been forecast or forseen by any agency. Just goes to show that forecasting weather is limited to 7- 10 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭highdef

Great to have Autumn done and dusted with no bad weather.

As mentioned a few posts to go, there's still a full month of autumn to go. There's still plenty of time for bad weather in the next 30 days.

highdef wrote: »
    As mentioned a few posts to go, there's still a full month of autumn to go. There's still plenty of time for bad weather in the next 30 days.

Not in my book.
    I was taught in school that the summer months are May, June, July and Autumn is August, September, October.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Not in my book.
    I was taught in school that the summer months are May, June, July and Autumn is August, September, October.

Meteorological autumn is September, October and November and given that this is the weather forum we still have another 30 days of Autumn to enjoy.

I must say it's been a fabulous one so far here in the west; soft, golden Autumn light, dewy mornings and fiery trees - we've really had the best of what the season has to offer this year and I'm not in any hurry to see it go :)

Not in my book.

We're not tricking you, Google it!

You were taught wrong, as were many. Its really a shame because this school taught system doesn't make much sence.

The seasons are assigned by the weather, with the warmest three being summer (June, July, August) and the coldest three being winter (December, January, February)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭511

Not in my book.

Time for you to put your pre-school books away, you're too old for them. My 4-year-old nephew was taught the same recently, but that's because our schools have it wrong. After all, the Irish education system is hardly a measuring stick the rest of the world should aspire to.

Read this: http://www.met.ie/education/pdfs_eng/YP%20Fun%20Facts%20Seasons.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Lumi wrote: »
    Meteorological autumn is September, October and November and given that this is the weather forum we still have another 30 days of Autumn to enjoy.

I must say it's been a fabulous one so far here in the west; soft, golden Autumn light, dewy mornings and fiery trees - we've really had the best of what the season has to offer this year and I'm not in any hurry to see it go :)

Indeed, I'm sure there's been a drizzle here and there, but I can't remember a bit of rain in weeks here in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Fingers crossed that when this cold front passes, we will get some actual weather.

• Advertisement

Carnacalla wrote: »
    We're not tricking you, Google it!

You were taught wrong, as were many. Its really a shame because this school taught system doesn't make much sence.

The seasons are assigned by the weather, with the warmest three being summer (June, July, August) and the coldest three being winter (December, January, February)

Thanks for that but I would prefer to rely on a centuteis old definition of the seasaons rather than a directive that was given relatively recently to get in line with the rest of europe. Anyway my main point is that nobody was able forecast this weather a month ago.

Advertisement