Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn Weather 2016 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭Boggy Turf

highdef wrote: »
    As mentioned a few posts to go, there's still a full month of autumn to go. There's still plenty of time for bad weather in the next 30 days.

Are we allowed say "wintry weather" in November? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Eamondomc

Boggy Turf wrote: »
    Are we allowed say "wintry weather" in November? ;)

Of course and springlike, even better than the summer and the best spell all year, what ever you like to describe it I'd say.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

looking quite cold for the rest of the week according to Met Eireann with temps around 7 or 8C next weekend. Could be a proper frost tonight in places.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Surely there will be thunderstorms along the east coast from this set up?
    Cold air + warm sea = a repeat of October '03.
    http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ecmwf/runs/2016110100/ECM1-120.GIF?01-12
    No snow of course but lots of hail I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭arctictree

-5 uppers hitting us on Saturday. Big change to the weather on the way.

GFSOPEU12_96_2.png

With showers on the east coast, could be an interesting day:

GFSOPEU12_96_4.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Beautiful evening out there, Mayo coastline around 5pm

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Today felt like the first genuinely cold day this season. Everyone wrapped up in winter clothes/Jackets and some people wearing gloves.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Gonzo wrote: »
    Today felt like the first genuinely cold day this season. Everyone wrapped up in winter clothes/Jackets and some people wearing gloves.

It was very nippy out there today! Love the cold dry weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Noticeably cooler today.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Very cold already this evening here near Tralee, down to 3.3C now under a clear calm sky.

Edit: 2.8C

Edit at 21.00: dropping all the time, now at 2.2C

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

has M.T. already published his Winter forecast? Or anyone else for that matter? I'm not a regular reader, I thought it would be nice if long term forecasts would have their own separate thread much like the daily forecast

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

martinsvi wrote: »
    has M.T. already published his Winter forecast? Or anyone else for that matter? I'm not a regular reader, I thought it would be nice if long term forecasts would have their own separate thread much like the daily forecast

Completely agree with this part - that way people who don't wish to read about crystal ball type "forecasting" don't have to waste their time reading through posts on such material.

Also it would be easier to see and keep track of the accuracy, or lack of thereof, of such "forecasting".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Gonzo wrote: »

Lovely day once some early cloud moved on and the wind dropped. I like this type of weather, pity the wind will be picking up over the weekend. Ah well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

martinsvi wrote: »
    HighLine wrote: »
    Completely agree with this part - that way people who don't wish to read about crystal ball type "forecasting" don't have to waste their time reading through posts on such material.

Also it would be easier to see and keep track of the accuracy, or lack of thereof, of such "forecasting".

MT posted his Winter Forecast 2016/17 at the beginning of his daily forecast on October 7th http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=101273387&postcount=4231

There is a separate long-range forecast thread for Autumn 2017 here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057629381

There is also a Winter 2016/17 model/technical discussion thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057624187

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Surely there will be thunderstorms along the east coast from this set up?
    Cold air + warm sea = a repeat of October '03.
    http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ecmwf/runs/2016110100/ECM1-120.GIF?01-12
    No snow of course but lots of hail I think.

Convective charts showing more potential now for activity along the east coast as well. Has the makings of making it feel a raw on coasts especially Atlantic coastal counties in fresh winds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

Lumi wrote: »
    MT posted his Winter Forecast 2016/17 at the beginning of his daily forecast on October 7th http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=101273387&postcount=4231

There is a separate long-range forecast thread for Autumn 2017 here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057629381

There is also a Winter 2016/17 model/technical discussion thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057624187

thanks, problem is- there's too much chat/noise in these. I try to follow them as much as I can, but the moment I see any signs of bickering, whining and wishful thinking, my finger reaches for the big red cross on the top right corner of the screen all by itself, I can't control it!

if we would have a long range - no chat thread, that would be brilliant .. just a suggestion- nothing to see here - let's move along now..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

Another cool dry day here in wexford.
    The temperature got up to 10*c.

Picture of the sunset here this evening.
    2016_11_02_18.jpg

Only about 3mm here near Tralee in the last 16 days. Sheep farmers back in Dingle availing of the dry spell by burning gorse on the mountains today.

S3pliNo.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

We are having a 3rd snow event this Autumn in southern Poland. Temperatures are cooling down nicely from Eastern Europe eastwards, so if high pressure builds in Scandinavia and you guys get a nice Easterly, it's boom time!

Next week looking very wintery here, lots of low pressures flowing to the south of us dragging cold artic air down.

Saturday evening to Monday afternoon looking very cold here as well, rain and hail showers in the eastern half of the country with possibility of sleet and snow on Wicklow and Mourne mountains.

looks quite mild mid week next week, then a return to possibly very cold conditions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Guys this autumn weather is just amazing, what another beautiful evening in Cork City

leahyl wrote: »
    Guys this autumn weather is just amazing, what another beautiful evening in Cork City

this is well up there with one of my favourite Autumn's in living memory.

So far this autumn can be summed up as:

first 2 weeks of september: exceptionally warm and mostly sunny.
    last 2 weeks of september: mild and mostly dry.
    last weekend of September: very unsettled and wet for 2 days.
    all of October: cool, sometimes cold and very dry, some mild days as well.
    November so far: dry and cold.

Damp miserable day here in Longford, very mild but just a disgusting old day.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Crisp, cold and Sunny morning here in Dublin. Can certainly feel the chill in the air but it's lovely. Long may this weather continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Very very cool in a sunny cloudless sky here in north Meath, love this weather

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

I love MT! Although I have selected reading..

TODAY ... Mostly cloudy, passing showers, turning colder by afternoon and evening when some of the showers may change to hail at low elevations and sleet on hills. Winds westerly 40-60 km/hr veering to northwest 50-70 km/hr. Highs 9-11 C.

TONIGHT ... Breezy and cold, some passing showers of hail or sleet, lows 1-3 C. Winds northerly 30-50 km/hr.

SATURDAY ... Partly cloudy, some streamers of mixed wintry showers likely in north, and near both east and west coasts. More sunshine is possible in south. Cold winds, northerly 40-60 km/hr and highs 7-10 C.

SUNDAY ... Partly cloudy, further wintry showers in bands more concentrated on east coast as winds shift a little more to north-northeast at 40-60 km/hr. Other wintry showers could fall in higher parts of west Ulster and north Connacht, even west Munster. Morning lows near 1 or 2 C and some light frosts, then mid-day highs only 6-9 C.

MONDAY ... Sharp frosts possible with some clearing and lows -3 to +2 C, but a few isolated wintry showers likely too, then sunny intervals, not as windy, cold. Highs about 8 C.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Brace yourselves...

400772.png

a_snowflake_omg_no.PNG?1362344719

It's pissing down here right now in Longford and just 7 degrees, out with the nearly forgotten wetsuit.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

The moon over the western edge of Kilkenny city (most of city behind the hill) with Venus shining brightly low in the sky.
    Temperature around 5C.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

I love MT! Although I have selected reading..

TODAY ... Mostly cloudy, passing showers, turning colder by afternoon and evening when some of the showers may change to hail at low elevations and sleet on hills. Winds westerly 40-60 km/hr veering to northwest 50-70 km/hr. Highs 9-11 C.

TONIGHT ... Breezy and cold, some passing showers of hail or sleet, lows 1-3 C. Winds northerly 30-50 km/hr.

SATURDAY ... Partly cloudy, some streamers of mixed wintry showers likely in north, and near both east and west coasts. More sunshine is possible in south. Cold winds, northerly 40-60 km/hr and highs 7-10 C.

SUNDAY ... Partly cloudy, further wintry showers in bands more concentrated on east coast as winds shift a little more to north-northeast at 40-60 km/hr. Other wintry showers could fall in higher parts of west Ulster and north Connacht, even west Munster. Morning lows near 1 or 2 C and some light frosts, then mid-day highs only 6-9 C.

MONDAY ... Sharp frosts possible with some clearing and lows -3 to +2 C, but a few isolated wintry showers likely too, then sunny intervals, not as windy, cold. Highs about 8 C.

Isolated showers 7-10 degrees? Can't see anything too wintry there.

Advertisement