Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn Weather 2016 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

if it does snow you'll have to be up very early to catch it, will turn to rain extremely quickly. Scottish highlands and even high ground in North England are gonna get plastered tomorrow tho. Could even be a few hours of low level snow in parts there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Not one mention of Snow on the 9pm broadcast. Joanna got a bit carried away on the 6.1 forecast

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭japester

Not too often you'll see warmer temps in iceland than in parts of Southern Spain, especially in November!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Joanna Donnelly said snow about 10 times in the forecast for tonight there. she must be a snow lover!

Or delusional!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ArKl0w

Or delusional!

Ah there will be snow briefly on the top of lugnaquilla from the front and icy bits in the rain lower down in the inland east for a while above a 1000 ft probably for that part

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Eamondomc

Oh misery, the reality of the time of year has hit here this morning, wet, dark, cold and just plain miserable. Thank goodness everything is under roof and basically I can sit back and not really care what comes from now till March or April.
    A stove day today!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Eamondomc wrote: »
    Oh misery, the reality of the time of year has hit here this morning, wet, dark, cold and just plain miserable. Thank goodness everything is under roof and basically I can sit back and not really care what comes from now till March or April.
    A stove day today!

The outlook isn't particularly bad, why the back breaking pessimism?

Cloudy and wet in Castlebar with low cloud/mist on the hills. much brighter for the next two days before another wet day Friday.

JCX BXC wrote: »
    The outlook isn't particularly bad, why the back breaking pessimism?

Your back is azey broke.
    I m not pessimistic at all, just realistic, the medium term is for this unsettled wet type of weather to continue, I just commented that I m glad I haven't to be out in it, except to get to the shed. I m in the north end of longford, we generally get what's forecasted for the west/northwest, and for the next week and beyond there is showery and at times persistent rain in cold conditions forecast.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

today is the first day of proper rain I've seen since Saturday 27th September. Dark, cold and miserable. However the rest of the week isn't looking all that bad, could be a few showers but staying mostly dry again. Friday could see some rain but shouldn't be as bad as today.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Rain cleared here near Tralee late afternoon with 12mm in the manual gauge. Picking up a few showers here this evening. Back into the wet weather after such a long dry cool spell. Fri looking like a wet day for the whole country and heavy perhaps in some places as frontal rain passes over the country and set to get increasingly mild as the day goes on with temperatures up to 13 or 14C by the evening and set to be very mild during the night.

pBeDf2I.gif?1

FOfnl6V.png?1

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Massive heavy squally showers, one after the other, here in Tralee this morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

Next weekend folks.:D:)

46usQZw.png

pedigree 6 wrote: »

46usQZw.png

Probably got a bit too excited there.
    I was reading mt's forecast and others on the web and a change looks a bit promising.

46usQZw.png

WTF?

WTF?

Some of the different models are giving strong north or northwest winds from polar regions on Saturday 19/11

airpressure.png

ecmslp.216.png

ecmslp.216.png

prmslmean-216.png

Images from netweather.tv.
    Something to watch out for.

H500 charts for sat 19/11

h500slp.png

ecm500.216.png

ecm500.216.png

h500slpmean-216.png

Something to whet the appetite.

We've a wet mild spell to go between that and now though.

9.5*c with sunny spells and dry here in wexford today.:)

A dark wet windy evening in Castlebar. time for a pint.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭catrat12

So what are the chances of Ireland seeing some snow on the 19th

• Advertisement

catrat12 wrote: »
    So what are the chances of Ireland seeing some snow on the 19th

very small chance across most of the country. Maybe high ground in the north-west and north may get something. South and East very unlikely.

Gonzo wrote: »
    very small chance across most of the country. Maybe high ground in the north-west and north may get something. South and East very unlikely.

It's going to be a long winter!!

It's going to be a long winter!!

like most winters we will have to wait for something hopefully better in December onwards. November rarely brings lying snow to low ground in Ireland. 2010 was an exceptions. Even in the 80s when snow was a regular occurrence most winters, I rarely saw snow in November. It's usually after Christmas.

like most winters we will have to wait for something hopefully better in December onwards. November rarely brings lying snow to low ground in Ireland. 2010 was an exceptions. Even in the 80s when snow was a regular occurrence most winters, I rarely saw snow in November. It's usually after Christmas.

Agree 100% gonzo. Beautiful mild bright November day today after yesterdays deluge.

Like the ads about pensions. Past performance does not mean future performance.
    Who knows?
    But anyone here you have to say have you ever seen autumn weather like this year?
    I'm a farmer and I certainly haven't.

This year is looking like the best chance yet for an early winter.
    Declining solar output, non organised polar vortex, record lying snow in Asia and eastern Europe, reduced Atlantic influence and just in the next few days hopefully it looks like our mild weather will bust up into the artic possibly splitting our weak PV in two and displacing some of that cold air possibly this way.
    What's not to like? (for a cold lover):D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

What has struck me about this autumn is the lack of fog. November is usually the foggy season here, and 12 days in I haven't seen anything more than a thick drizzle (last night) this month!

Like the ads about pensions. Past performance does not mean future performance.
    Who knows?
    But anyone here you have to say have you ever seen autumn weather like this year?
    I'm a farmer and I certainly haven't.

This year is looking like the best chance yet for an early winter.
    Declining solar output, non organised polar vortex, record lying snow in Asia and eastern Europe, reduced Atlantic influence and just in the next few days hopefully it looks like our mild weather will bust up into the artic possibly splitting our weak PV in two and displacing some of that cold air possibly this way.
    What's not to like? (for a cold lover):D

It sounds great, unless you're an early morn commuter on untreated roads, 3 leave here and it can be a nerve wreck waiting to see they all got in safely.
    I love that type of weather myself and anything's better than rain in my book, but there are other considerations too.
    I hope its not too severe.

Eamondomc wrote: »
    It sounds great, unless you're an early morn commuter on untreated roads, 3 leave here and it can be a nerve wreck waiting to see they all got in safely.
    I love that type of weather myself and anything's better than rain in my book, but there are other considerations too.
    I hope its not too severe.

I'll try and be considerate and tell it not to snow.:P

(I do know what you're saying though).
    All you can do is be prepared.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

shouldn't be complaining, i'm loving this calm weather down here in cork. although its making me a little weary about what December will bring

• Advertisement

Very mild here in Tralee at 15.4C ( overnight low of 12.1C ). Calm, bit overcast with some mid level cloud but some bits of sunshine getting through, grand and bright and good for getting jobs done around the place.

Advertisement