Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn Weather 2016 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Dublin Airport reporting light snow rain at 10am and 1c.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

Floods everywhere and more to come
    No rainfall warning was issued for galway and the levels have nearly been surpassed already !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Eamondomc

Wet in Longford, cold at 2 degrees, no snow, but my sister just rang me and heavy wet snow shower around mullingar as she was driving up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭highdef

Eamondomc wrote: »
    Wet in Longford, cold at 2 degrees, no snow, but my sister just rang me and heavy wet snow shower around mullingar as she was driving up.

Was that recently....as in the past few minutes? There is some light enough precip moving into the Mullingar area at the moment. Was expecting that to be rain but if it's snow, it may bode well for very heavy precip that will follow on behind in about 30/30 minutes

highdef wrote: »
    Was that recently....as in the past few minutes? There is some light enough precip moving into the Mullingar area at the moment. Was expecting that to be rain but if it's snow, it may bode well for very heavy precip that will follow on behind in about 30/30 minutes

About 45 mins ago. She just txt she's on the way back and just rain now.

• Advertisement

Eamondomc wrote: »
    About 45 mins ago. She just txt she's on the way back and just rain now.

Ah crap....the moderate to heavy band passing through the midlands now will most likely be all snow so. Maybe a lunchtime trip to Dublin mountains is in order for me :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

still only 1C here, I can't see us getting much past 4C today.

had a brief rain shower after the sleet/snow band cleared. However i'd expect that band across the midlands to fall here as rain or sleet, I think snow now would be confined to high ground at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Yeah gonzo. Rain sleet mix here in maynooth

• Registered Users Posts: 8,211 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

OK I'm going to make a guess that the weather in 3 weeks time, Wed 16th November, is going to be 6degrees and scattered showers. What is your forecast for that date? I'm giving you a great chance here as it's only 3 weeks away and you believe that it's possible to forecast months in advance. BTW I hope this post is 'respectful' enough for you:D

Jesus, I was spot on!

Ah ha, come on the Dan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭arctictree

How come no wintry spell thread has been started? The charts are excellent at the moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

arctictree wrote: »
    How come no wintry spell thread has been started? The charts are excellent at the moment!

On you go so :)

Showers becoming more organised into a general area of moderate to heavy rain in the south midlands now - Rain at low levels but sleet mixed in, especially during heavier bursts and more wintry the higher up one goes in altitude. With night time not far away and temperatures dropping off, I would expect the snow line to drop.....I'd say snow could be falling (but not sticking) down to about 150/200m.

There is also another smaller area moving eastwards along the M4 corridor. This too appears to be increasing in both size and intensity.

If either or both continue to strengthen or at least not weaken, then we may have a covering on the higher hills and mountains in the coming hours. Ice may be an issue in many areas tonight.

The northwest has a big rash of standard Atlantic type showers as well, many looking heavy and I would imagine also wintry on high ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

A toasty 1.5C and snowing on the hills of north east kilkenny.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

maxed out at 4C today. Those showers over the midlands are certainly starting to shrink as they reach Meath and Kildare.

Gonzo wrote: »
    maxed out at 4C today. Those showers over the midlands are certainly starting to shrink as they reach Meath and Kildare.

Yes, the M4 showers certainly are anyway. I was hoping they were going to stay as organised as the area of precip further south. This is quite a regular occurrence - When winds are coming from the direction they are now, they have a tendency to begin dying off west of Kinnegad and die a death between Kinnegad and Enfield....I'm just a few KM SE of Enfield :mad:

Bitterly cold in a very strong westerly wind, gusts during the last shower were strong they blew over bins everywhere. 3.9c here now in West Clare.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

Lots of wintery showers today and lightning at around 3.20 knocked out the electric, top of my mountain is white but where I am is mostly hail and is melting a bit.temp currently 0.7c. tonight should be better!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

1.2C, stopped snowing, the top of the hills of western Kilkenny are white, and the hills close to me have a white tinge at about 1,000ft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Slight dusting in the Dub hills.

Copyright potato cam 2016

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

Is there any precip on the way?

Snowbiee21 wrote: »
    Is there any precip on the way?

To where?

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

JCX BXC wrote: »
    To where?

I mean anywhere is there anything on the radars

Looks like Knock and that area is in for a little.

The western half of the country should see many wintry showers overnight. The east should remain clear and frosty.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Its bloody baltic out there

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

Its bloody baltic out there
    Just passed a brass monkey crying it's eyes out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Just passed a brass monkey crying it's eyes out :)

Yep, the flame on my lighter froze.

0c at Knock airport at 6pm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Possibly an interesting evening ahead for the North.

Advertisement