Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn Weather 2016 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Eamondomc

The fogs been coming and going here all day, temperatures have varied with it from 0 to +3.
    It's down again now and -1 but doesn't feel really cold out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭fraxinus1

I wonder will the -7 from Markree last night be beaten tonight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

The charts are set fair for HP for the next two weeks or so. The Met UK/BBC forecast last night noted the models were split - but only on whether the HP would be north or south of the Jet Stream - it appears as of now that the pressure will stay on the warmer side.

The 4th and 5th of Dec has still a chance of cold incursions coming over the country.
    Anticyclonic systems do look to be in charge of our weather here for the foreseeable future and taking residence over us.
    Remarkable really when we are so used to low pressure systems rushing in off the Atlantic on the jet stream.
    I had to look up the record for High Pressure in this country.
    Wikipedia says it was 1051.9 hPa on the 28th January 1905 at Valentia Island.
    We look to be getting close to 1040 hPa on some of the future models.
    Every little helps.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

What incredible weather, dare I say it Its just as good as a dumping of snow. I Havent seen such Ice days since 2010 brings back good memories. Ice hasn't melted here in places all week.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

I told my friends and family last month that I had a feeling this winter would be "quiet" as all year its been pretty settled in Sligo bar 5 or 6 very wet days. Think this pattern looks set to continue right up to mid December though not nearly as cold as currently bar a few days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

pauldry wrote: »
    I told my friends and family last month that I had a feeling this winter would be "quiet" as all year its been pretty settled in Sligo bar 5 or 6 very wet days. Think this pattern looks set to continue right up to mid December though not nearly as cold as currently bar a few days.

Fantastic !

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Currently -1.7C with freezing fog again in Castlebar, it got down to -4.7C last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Looks like a cold one for most of the country... but still 7 degrees in Dublin coming home from work.

Have to drive to Armagh tomorrow morning, what do people think the roads will be?

Looks like a cold one for most of the country... but still 7 degrees in Dublin coming home from work.

Have to drive to Armagh tomorrow morning, what do people think the roads will be?

You can check out ROI road conditions and temperatures on the TII website if that's any help.

https://www.tiitraffic.ie/weather/#

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Pangea wrote: »
    What incredible weather, dare I say it Its just as good as a dumping of snow. I Havent seen such Ice days since 2010 brings back good memories. Ice hasn't melted here in places all week.

More or less the same here. Very white outside again and frost remains in the shade by day.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

highdef wrote: »
    Leaving the house this morning (in north Kildare, near Enfield), it was -0.5. Car was covered in ice and frost. Beginning the drive, car was reading 0c. Fields were frosty. About a kilometre later, no frost and car thermometer was reading 6c. By the time I joined junction 8 on the M4, it was 8c and from Lucan onwards it was reading 9c!

Nobody in work believed me when I said there was a heavy frost at home.

Ditto here in the south midlands yesterday morning... had to travel the N77 from Kilkenny via Durrow on to the R434 through Roscrea onto the N62 and into Birr and there were huge variations throughout the journey...

Frost and slightly below 0c in Kilkenny and into Durrow where there was some fog - dense at times. On to Ballacolla then and beyond there no frost whatsoever all the way into Roscrea, however crossing the rail line and the frost was back. The car thermometer read +6c just before Roscrea before hitting 0c in the town itself. Beyond Roscrea it was very dense fog and between 0c and -1c the whole way into Birr with pea soup conditions along the way.

Amazing to see such variations in short distances.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

The cold air over us right now is very shallow indeed which may explain why there is such variations in temps over the country. Upper air temps for example are up to 9c at the mo. I have noticed with my own data that overnight temps vary substantially due to strength of breeze in that temps fall markedly during short calm episodes, and increase quite a lot as soon as a light breeze springs up, which is due to air 'mixing' with warmer temps above the inversion layer.

402468.png

It is interesting that the N and NW have generally been the coldest regions during this spell as these regions have been subject to more calm conditions, thus allowing surface cold to build up more readily than other parts of the country, which have been subject to breezier conditions over the last few days.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Tonight's not going to be as cold as forecast it seems. Wild fluctuations in temperature here, was -0.6c at 22:30, its +0.5c now, been all over the place all evening.

Edit:. 23:32 and it's +1.2c. What is going on!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

http://www.met.ie/latest/reports.asp

-4 in Sligo, 7 in Dublin. 11 degree difference in about 200km.

Mad.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

3.1C here near Tralee, got up 4.1C at 21.30 . Light fog.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

been mild and almost spring like here for a few days now, It was bitter here last weekend and a hard frost sunday night but most of this week has been reasonably mild and frost free.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Some showers showing up on the radar in Mayo in the last hour or a glitch ?

Some showers showing up on the radar in Mayo in the last hour or a glitch ?

Been dry all night so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Eamondomc

Xenji wrote: »
    Been dry all night so far.

Heavy fog here, feels damp, 2 degrees and no visible frost on vehicles. Just a horrible grey nothing morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ArKl0w

Clear blue skies here and the first frost in a while on the east coast
    The 'warming' northeasterly is gone

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Another phenomenal sunny and frosty morning here in Cork!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Well this is disappointing. Didn't freeze much last night, temp didn't go below 0c since midnight! No fog either. Its currently 3.7c, which is warmer than the overall max yesterday of 3.6c.

West Clare.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

no frost again in the east, much too mild.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

The winter scene has gone here now, woke up to a thaw, surprised actually. 3c atm.

Cloud breaking up nicely here near Tralee thankfully aided by an E'ly breeze. Feeling quite cool in the wind at 3.4C giving a windchill of 0.2C .

It got down to -4.4C last night in Castlebar, currently 3.1C in a damp mist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Freezing fog here in Clonmel temperatures hovering around freezing visability poor very chilly and dank.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,921 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

It's so feckin' cold. I tend to be outside a lot and have been out every day this week and last Saturday and this Saturday were tough!

Looks like it's wexford's turn for frost tonight.
    Clear sky, Zero wind and it's 5c. I can see that falling rapidly.
    It feels colder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭sjb25

pedigree 6 wrote: »
    Looks like it's wexford's turn for frost tonight.
    Clear sky, Zero wind and it's 5c. I can see that falling rapidly.
    It feels colder.

Just out to the yard near enniscothy frost already on the cars and i will say scientifically it feckin freezing

Advertisement