Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can I make my waist smaller without losing weight?

• 01-09-2016 3:17am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭

I want a curvaceous figure so I want to make my hips and bum bigger by doing squats, but I want a tiny waist. 24 inches would be my goal but I dont want to lose weight anywhere else on my body. Is it possible through exercise? My waist is currently 26.5 inches.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 BernardChan

Try sit-ups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,808 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

If your stomach muscles are slack, you can tone them through targetted exercise (like sit-ups, as BernardChan suggests) and this can take an inch or so off your waistline. You won't lose any weight; you may in fact gain a little (in muscle mass). It's basically the same thing as putting on a compression garment. Whatever you lose in waist measurement you will put back on if you stop the targetted exercises.

But you'll only get this result if in fact your stomach muscles are slack. If you have a sedentary lifestyle and take little exercise then, yeah, good chance that they are slack. But if you're already fit and active they many not be, in which case you have little capacity to reduce your waist measurement through targetted exercise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Peregrinus wrote: »
    If your stomach muscles are slack, you can tone them through targetted exercise (like sit-ups, as BernardChan suggests) and this can take an inch or so off your waistline. You won't lose any weight; you may in fact gain a little (in muscle mass). It's basically the same thing as putting on a compression garment. Whatever you lose in waist measurement you will put back on if you stop the targetted exercises.

But you'll only get this result if in fact your stomach muscles are slack. If you have a sedentary lifestyle and take little exercise then, yeah, good chance that they are slack. But if you're already fit and active they many not be, in which case you have little capacity to reduce your waist measurement through targetted exercise.

I started doing ab exercises and im already feeling the pain in my muscles so I hope that means its working, I might think about investing in a waist training corset, I heard theyre good for reshaping your waist. I duno if my muscles are slack? Im not very active really.

I'm deeply sceptical of the notion that a "waist training corset" will do anything at all to reduce your waist measurement, except when you're actually wearing it. I'd at least take medical advice before using one.

As for the ab exercise you have already started causing "pain in your muscles"; there is a certain amount of discomfort associated with exercising muscles that are out of condition, so the pain could be an indication that "it's working". On the other hand, pain can also be an indication that something is wrong, and you shouldn't be doing exercises that cause you pain except under the supervision of an appropriately-qualified person. Talk to a trainer or a physiotherapist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,676 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

If you have fat to lose, then you'll do it through what you eat. You can't dictate where you lose it from though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

If you want bigger bum and hips. Do squats and deadlifts to build up those muscles.
    If you want a slimmer waist, then the bet approach is to lose some bodyfat.
    Two processes. The corset won't help you lose weight.

Peregrinus wrote:
    I'm deeply sceptical of the notion that a "waist training corset" will do anything at all to reduce your waist measurement, except when you're actually wearing it. I'd at least take medical advice before using one.
    Corset can make semi-permanent changes to a body as they progressive wear them tighter and tighter. It compresses floating ribs, reshapes muscles, and internal organs. It was fashionable in Victorian times, not remotely healthy.

With a current waist measurement of 26.5", it's not likely that the OP has a huge amount of body fat to lose, is it? We're not told her height or weight but, unless she is overweight for her height, she shouldn't rush to try to reduce waist size through further reductions in body fat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Peregrinus wrote: »
    With a current waist measurement of 26.5", it's not likely that the OP has a huge amount of body fat to lose, is it? We're not told her height or weight but, unless she is overweight for her height, she shouldn't rush to try to reduce waist size through further reductions in body fat.
    Waist size will be largely dictated by bone structure, frame etc.
    One person could be very lean with a 28" waist. And another less lean but with a 27" waist. No way to know fro mthe OP.
    BMI (weight for height) is largely irrelevant in this regards. BF% would dictate if there is weight (fat) to be lost.

I meant that losing weight is an option if it's there to lose. Certainly wasn't suggesting it as a go to for all. THat mgiht not have been clear, so no issue with you pointing it out.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I want a curvaceous figure so I want to make my hips and bum bigger by doing squats, but I want a tiny waist. 24 inches would be my goal but I dont want to lose weight anywhere else on my body. Is it possible through exercise? My waist is currently 26.5 inches.

It's hard to say. Train heavy and often at squats and deadlifts. If you build bigger thighs and glutes, your waist will look smaller.

You could do periodic mini cuts to lose body fat and see how happy you are.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Advertisement