Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question regarding paternity leave

Options
  • 01-09-2016 8:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭

Hi, myself and my wife are due our second baby in October. I'm due the statutory parental leave that fathers are now entitled to. So I was planning on taking five days immediately after the baby is born, and five days closer to Christmas time, to give my wife a hand with preparation for the festivities. My employer is now telling me that I have to take the leave in one chunk rather than breaking it up into two. I've had a look at the Citizen's Info website, but there's nothing specific about this. I know I can take the leave any time in the first 26 weeks, but there's nothing about splitting it up. Can anyone clarify, am I entitled to break the leave up or do I legally have to adhere to what my HR person told me? Many thanks for any help anyone can give.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

I'd imagine it's treated like maternity leave in that way, in that you can't opt to take 12 weeks now and 8 at a later date, that wouldn't be in the spirit of the intended purpose of the leave. Plus u need to factor in the logistics of the social welfare payments I doubt they want people taking a week here and there. That's speculation though, call citizens info and ask.

You could alternatively take paternity leave now, and parental leave at Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Yeah, I had a look at the actual legislation, and it would appear that you have to take it in one chunk. That's no problem. Myself and my wife just had a plan that'll need tweaking.

What's parental leave and what are the entitlements? I would presume it's unpaid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

Sanjuro wrote: »
    Yeah, I had a look at the actual legislation, and it would appear that you have to take it in one chunk. That's no problem. Myself and my wife just had a plan that'll need tweaking.

What's parental leave and what are the entitlements? I would presume it's unpaid.

It is unpaid, I think it's up 18 weeks per child up to the age of 8

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

It is unpaid, I think it's up 18 weeks per child up to the age of 8

Oh yeah, I remember hearing something about that. Thank you for the info!

Advertisement