Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car accident and insurance renewal

Options
  • 01-09-2016 9:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭

Hi All,

Can anyone help me please?

I got my motor insurance quote on Sunday, up €300 since last year but that's the way insurance is at the moment:mad:

Had an accident on Monday morning and bumped into the back of someone, received a new quote from the insurance company and they have now doubled the insurance............

am just wondering, can they do this?? the claim only went in Monday, nothing settled. Should I not be getting the higher quote next year? do they have to stick with the original quote??

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

kellyshell wrote: »
    Hi All,

Can anyone help me please?

I got my motor insurance quote on Sunday, up €300 since last year but that's the way insurance is at the moment:mad:

Had an accident on Monday morning and bumped into the back of someone, received a new quote from the insurance company and they have now doubled the insurance............

am just wondering, can they do this?? the claim only went in Monday, nothing settled. Should I not be getting the higher quote next year? do they have to stick with the original quote??

Thanks in advance

If you have an open claim (accident before the renewal date) and you hadn't paid in advance then yes they can requote a higher premium. The risk has changed after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭...And Justice

Chances are no one else will touch you with an open claim, and your insurer knows this, so you might have to suck it up, it's worth giving it a go but I don't think it will change anything.

Advertisement