Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IVF ~ trying for subsequent children.

Options
  • 01-09-2016 9:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭

After two attempts of IVF I was very lucky and now have 2 year old twins. I would like to go for another baby but the thought of going through it all fills me with dread. The scans /mess/ stress just feels like too much. I'm 33 now so aware time is not on my side. I don't feel like my family is complete but I just can't face the whole process again. Anyone felt the same and found ways to overcome it? A miracle surprise is completely out as I don't have any Fallopian tubes.

Comments

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I didnt have IVF but was assisted, and like you I feel burned out from the whole process of TTC. Having said that, my age is deciding matters for me so while we might do a few more rounds of ovulation induction I know it will only be a few and then we will call it a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

Im not having the easiest of pregnancies and even though I honestly love being pregnant, im not going again. At the start of this pregnancy I was hell bent on going straight for another round as soon as the clinic would let me but I've now decided not to.

Even though I had 2 high quality embryos transfered, this baby is still having a few difficulties. They are minor and hopefully won't impact the health of the baby once they are born, but they're still there now and require so many clinic and doctors appointments. I've been in and out of hospital. I'm signed off work indefinitely. I've had 17 scans so far with another booked for next week and no doubt more after that!

I hate seeing the stress it causes my husband and the worry it causes my son. I'm just not good at being pregnant!

That said, if this was straight forward I wouldnt hesitate in going again. Best of luck with your decision, it's not an easy one to make when, as you said, the option of a natural pregnancy is taken out of your hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭bobskii

Hi!I hear ya on the whole process orchidsrpretty I was in the same mindset as you.especially when you already have smallies.we went again with our frozen transfer which was pretty straight forward but I don't think I'd be able for another full round.My husband wants to do one more if we can save enough but I'm just not convinced.I think I'd rather put all my energy into the one we have and leave it at that.mush as I would love another.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭DetectivFoxtrot

I'll be commencing a fresh round of IVF in a couple of months (hopefully). My third full IVF and 5th embryo transfer.

I know this will sound weird but I've never found IVF particularly taxing. I've found years and years of trying to naturally conceive taxing. When I do IVF I feel like things are totally taken out of my hands, and I (or we, I should say - poor OH) merely follow instructions. If IVF doesnt work then I feel less guilty than when it doesn't work naturally. And, I find the whole IVF process fascinating (I know I'm sounding weirder by the sentence!).

Your situation is quite unique in that there's no chance of conceiving naturally (sorry to hear that by the way), so you're faced with the situation of IVF or no more biological kids. If it is solely the process that is making you not want to do it then if I were you I'd sit down and write out a pros and cons list. Figure out, in the grand scheme of things, whether the few weeks of IVF treatment and meds is worth it. You may find it may not be worth it, particularly if you had a pretty hideous time doing it - it affects everyone so different - physically, emotionally, psychologically. Also, try not to put pressure on yourself re your 'biological clock'. Every single doctor I've seen (and there have been many) has said 40 is the age when you should get concerned about declining fertility, so you've tonnes of time. I'm 37, and 40 is my cut-off point. Not really because of the age factor but because by then I will be a decade at ttc and it does get tiresome.

And if you need a friendly ear or supportive chat, pop on here during the process - there are many gals on here that can support you through it.

Sorry I'm not really giving you any tangible advice but know that ou're in good company here when it comes to IVF ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Fingersandtoes

I've one toddler who was conceived naturally. I've done TSI and IUI and both were negative. Twice I've done everything to prepare for IVF. The injections and medication upset me and I found it tough. Also our clinic which is our closest is a two hour drive each way. So driving up and back a few times a week is exhausting. I would like one more child and I know if I'm ever lucky enough to have a second baby all the heartache and bruised belly from my inejections will be worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭brokensoul

I'll be commencing a fresh round of IVF in a couple of months (hopefully). My third full IVF and 5th embryo transfer.

I know this will sound weird but I've never found IVF particularly taxing. I've found years and years of trying to naturally conceive taxing. When I do IVF I feel like things are totally taken out of my hands, and I (or we, I should say - poor OH) merely follow instructions. If IVF doesnt work then I feel less guilty than when it doesn't work naturally. And, I find the whole IVF process fascinating (I know I'm sounding weirder by the sentence!).

Your situation is quite unique in that there's no chance of conceiving naturally (sorry to hear that by the way), so you're faced with the situation of IVF or no more biological kids. If it is solely the process that is making you not want to do it then if I were you I'd sit down and write out a pros and cons list. Figure out, in the grand scheme of things, whether the few weeks of IVF treatment and meds is worth it. You may find it may not be worth it, particularly if you had a pretty hideous time doing it - it affects everyone so different - physically, emotionally, psychologically. Also, try not to put pressure on yourself re your 'biological clock'. Every single doctor I've seen (and there have been many) has said 40 is the age when you should get concerned about declining fertility, so you've tonnes of time. I'm 37, and 40 is my cut-off point. Not really because of the age factor but because by then I will be a decade at ttc and it does get tiresome.

And if you need a friendly ear or supportive chat, pop on here during the process - there are many gals on here that can support you through it.

Sorry I'm not really giving you any tangible advice but know that ou're in good company here when it comes to IVF ;)

I can identify with you, I didn't find IVF taxing either. I had a m/c post ivf which I found really tough but the process itself was fine and like you I took comfort in having elements of it taken out of our hands.

Not sure if we will go again. We have 7 week old twins and at my 6 week check up by consultant told me no way can I get pregnant for 12 months (myeomectomy, plus ivf, plus D&C, plus FET plus c-section, plus post partum mastitis and breast abscesses!). That will put me at just past my 40th birthday. We have 3 frozen embryos so there is an option of FET again.

Most likely I think this will be our family, but I think I will find it really hard to let those embryos go. I would donate them, but my husband is uncomfortable with that idea.

Advertisement